Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis T25 brake slider pins

thebrasso

Hi there, I am hoping somebody can shed a bit of light on this for me.....

I have a 2007 1.8 VVTI Avensis....and the nearside front brakes were getting hot on Thursday night. There was a strong smell of brake pads as well.

The next day I jacked the car up and put it on stands. I have worked on brakes before, just not these ones.....

The lower slide pin was very very stiff. The pads had a good bit of meat on them but the backing plate on the inner pad had come off and the pads are a bit knackered.

When it came to the slide pins, the upper one cleaned up and moved nicely within the rubber gaitor. The lower one, it was horrendous. 

I have had a screwdriver with 1200 grade sandpaper and GT85 in there and cleaned it up as best I could without removing the brake carrier. 

My question is, there  is rubber piece on the slide pin itself lower down below the gaitor, is that meant to be on the pin or meant to sit inside the carrier hole? When I have removed that, the pin seems to slide nicely within the gaitor. Has anyone had experience of this? I need to get my pads replaced and get my car back on the road......

20220807_102828.jpg

The rubber stays on the pin.  Make sure you put in back in the hole it came out of which is the bottom slider.

If its proving problematic, you can get brake accessory kits, with a new set of slider pins, bolts, rubber boots and the correct grease for lubricating the boots and slider pins. 

Thanks for the replies.

I will have to try and get some slider pins from somewhere before Tuesday. 

It seems as though the runner piece that goes on the lower pin must be fouling up inside....

Just keep cleaning it up.  Sliding it in and out should eventually clear it out.  When you feel it is free enough, reassemble it with the proper grease and it should be ok.

I was giving my front brakes a service today,(same as yours) here are some of the pictures I took.

It's three years already since I fitted the pads and discs, time flies.

20220807_121004.jpg

20220807_121030.jpg

20220807_121034.jpg

20220807_121245.jpg

20220807_121252.jpg

20220807_122151.jpg

20220807_122156.jpg

I was unable to re-assemble mine with the rubber on the slider pin. It is too perished and fouls in the carrier hole when you try and re-assemble. The drivers side was the same. The pins were seized in and took a lot of manipulation to get out. 

I have used PTFE tape on the pins in place of the rubber, to the thickness of the rubber. This seems to work for now. The brakes work as they should with new pads on...in the next month I will do a full refresh but I just needed the car driveable.

Looks tidy that Stivino.....

It looks like this is the part number 04952-09020

£8.50 a side on e-Bay.

Cheers mate. I've just ordered some...I just needed my car to be driveable for now.