Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First Hybrid car

Derek.w

Do you realise first hybrid electric car build in late 1800

1896 I also seen some sites quote 1899

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Derek.w said:

Do you realise first hybrid electric car build in late 1800

Would that be in November or December?

• Haha 2

Depressingly, the first full electric cars were available in the 1880s and even held the land speed record until the end of that century. Then the rise of the oil industry and ICE cars shut down EV manufacturing. Just imagine if investment in EV research and development had continued since then at the same level as ICE cars.

• Like 4

The thing they kinda did - EVs don't really need more R&D - All the things that comprise them we've nearly perfected in other industrial sectors; Combining them into a car is almost a no-brainer - Everything is already there, any idiot can do it with off-the-shelf parts that have nothing to do with the automotive industry - It's almost like lego. Much much simpler than making an ICE. Unlike ICE, don't need to devote loads of money to R&D to design e.g. electric motor, controller, all the other bits you need - We already have them from other sectors!

We're already at the stage where everything is just refinement, small percentage gains here and there; Most of the major breakthroughs have already been made.

The one thing, the lynchpin, that needs the R&D is still the *exact same thing* that caused EVs to lose to ICE in the first place:

Batteries.

• Like 2

That’s kind of what I am getting at. I think we would have cracked solid state batteries and the charging supporting infrastructure by now if priorities had been different. Unfortunately more money could be made in the short term by drilling a hole in the ground.

• Like 1

I remember when I was a child, my parents having their milk and bread delivered by the Birmingham Co-operative using electric vehicles -

See the source imageSee the source image

Made by Morrisons-Electricar.

• Like 5

I always wondered why that stopped becoming a thing - When I was a kid, everyone had their milk delivered by the milkman in his electric milk float. If you got your milk from the supermarket you were a bit of a weirdo, but then it just seemed to stop happening - I haven't seen one in decades!

It was practically the posterchild of efficient low impact distribution - Bottles were cleaned and reused, which is *much* better than recycling (Recycling is actually kinda rubbish as it only saves materials, but energy and manpower use vs from raw materials is more or less the same), and they were collected and delivered via zero-emissions vehicles.

What happened??

Is it still a thing with any of you out of curiosity?

49 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I always wondered why that stopped becoming a thing - When I was a kid, everyone had their milk delivered by the milkman in his electric milk float. If you got your milk from the supermarket you were a bit of a weirdo, but then it just seemed to stop happening - I haven't seen one in decades!

It was practically the posterchild of efficient low impact distribution - Bottles were cleaned and reused, which is *much* better than recycling (Recycling is actually kinda rubbish as it only saves materials, but energy and manpower use vs from raw materials is more or less the same), and they were collected and delivered via zero-emissions vehicles.

What happened??

All the Milkmen were seduced!

😉

• Haha 4

41 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I always wondered why that stopped becoming a thing - When I was a kid, everyone had their milk delivered by the milkman in his electric milk float.

What happened??

We don't use a milkman, BUT a local farmer still delivers farm milk via a milk float to our village

When I was about 14 I delivered milk every morning before school, got up at 6 and worked til 8AM then off to school, only trouble was it was a huge round and the owner used a BMC flatbed truck with the filthiest of diesel engines 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I always wondered why that stopped becoming a thing - When I was a kid, everyone had their milk delivered by the milkman in his electric milk float. If you got your milk from the supermarket you were a bit of a weirdo, but then it just seemed to stop happening

Supermarkets.

People could get milk cheaper and in larger containers, etc.

We had milk delivered right up to the mid 2000's, and as we had a milk depot on the corner of our road, quite convenient. However, Dairy Crest closed the depot and moved into West Bromwich and then central Birmingham, which meant deliveries occuring to our road mid to late morning. As this was whilst we were out at work, it became inconvenient (milk being left outside all day, etc), and we  had to switch to buying from supermarkets.

• Like 1

In many areas milk delivery is still a thing but mostly done by diesel fords these days. Previously were that Evs that make the noise of a cow very loudly when driving off, perhaps that was the first steps of avas 😂👌 I see milk delivery trucks every night. 👍

• Haha 1

Funnily enough, when Covid first appeared in early 2020, ‘panic’ buying meant milk was sometimes in short supply.

I was lucky enough to discover a local milk delivery, taking on new customers, and I’ve carried on having deliveries ever since.

Not a milk float but a small flatbed.

• Like 2

Isn't a horse and cart a hybrid - A Horse eats feed, the horse produces energy and waste, that waste is used to grow more feed

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

In my youth, I used to be milkmen's helper for pocket money. And may have occasionally driven an electric float before I had a licence. :whistling:  Whilst there was a "throttle" foot pedal I was more like an on/off switch. I recall it having a massive steering wheel, or I may have just been small at the time.

Where I lived, milkmen changed from being employees of a dairy to self-employed franchisees. Milk rounds got geographically larger as customer numbers declined and the depots stopped investing in the electric floats, but charging more to rent them. Being self-employed, milkmen had no choice to switch to diesel flatbeds with annoying doors.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

Isn't a horse and cart a hybrid - A Horse eats feed, the horse produces energy and waste, that waste is used to grow more feed

After the war my father used to deliver milk for the co-operative with a horse and cart.

Always remember his horse was called Zak, he loved that horse 👍

• Like 3

One of the first electric vehicle in mass production because of fuel shortages was the golf cart.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links