Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which engine oil can we buy in the UK

Budz

Hello there, ive attached a picture of the page in the manual where it states about the engine oil and I wonder what 0w20 and 5w30 oils can we buy in the UK for Verso-S models other than the Toyota brand according to the standards whats required on the oil it self.

On the manual page it gives the specs of the 0w20 or the 5w30 should have and I found the GSF has 5w30 fully synthetic called Comma Xtech, but I cant find any 0w20 meets the requirement of whats been given on the manual. 

Should we worry about the sub requirements of 0w20 or should we just go with any 0w20?

Also, which brand of 0w20 do you normally use?

20220820_213900.jpg

Halfords have it in stock last time I visited.

You can also find it at your local Toyota parts center.

Pretty much any 0w20 will do. The majority meet SN std. which is above the SL and SM that the manual recommends. 

• Thanks 1

Toyota don't recommend brands of engine oil. Should be one available to suit most budgets and suitable 0W-20 engine oils on sale in the UK include:

Mannol Legend,

Petronas Syntium 7000,

Mobil 1,

Mobil Super 3000,

Halfords Eco, 

Castrol Edge

Castrol Edge Professional,

Triple QX SynPlus,

Shell Helix Ultra,

Total Quartz 9000 Future,

Miller Oils EE Performance,

Comma Pro NRG

Valvoline,

Carlube Triple R,

Texaco Havoline Energy,

etc.

Have a look at Amazon, eBay, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, APS said:

Pretty much any 0w20 will do. The majority meet SN std. which is above the SL and SM that the manual recommends. 

Is that so? I thought it has to be just SL or SM only as my understanding about these stuff are very little. Thanks!

Back in 2011 when your car was produced, API SM was the highest standard. Since then API SN has been introduced, and recently the highest standard has become SP. The standards are backwards compatible - so if a car was originally recommended as using SM, the latest, highest standard will be OK.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Back in 2011 when your car was produced, API SM was the highest standard. Since then API SN has been introduced, and recently the highest standard has become SP. The standards are backwards compatible - so if a car was originally recommended as using SM, the latest, highest standard will be OK.

Many thanks! Ive checked all the list what you had given above to see what is the cheapest and only Mannol oil of 0w20 ce the cheqpest for around £25 for 5litr can. 

What is your personal preference when the manual says 0w20 to use as the first choice and 5w30 as to second choice. 5w30 oils are much cheaper than 0w20. So, what would you go for and why? 

Screenshot_20220821-161556_Samsung Internet.jpg

Personally I've always gone for the 0W-20.

• Like 2

If the manual says use 0w20, use 0w20.

Most of the Toyota engines made after their Optimal Drive blurb are designed to run on 0w20, so the tolerances will be tighter and 5w30 will not flow as well when cold into those tight tolerances. It will also have higher friction than 0w20 so will lower mpg.

The only reason to use anything thicker is if you're going for a long thrash on a track, as the oil may get too thin if the engine is run at such high temps for so long.

• Like 1

The reason why I asked to whether 0w20 or 5w30 was Ive seen on a honda jazz forum saying after years later there are so much of wear n tear in the engine and the 0w20 is too lighter therefore 5w30 has been advised by many guys on that thread.

I guess our Verso-S  are maximum of 10yrs so far and it cannot be classified as a too old car just yet?

Also is this 5w20 type of oil sits between 0w20 and 5w30 please?

I'm of the opinion that if manufacturers felt there was a need for different oil as the car ages, they would say so. At the end of the day, manufacturers will have done many hours/thousands of miles of testing their engines, with a view to longevity, reliability, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Budz said:

The reason why I asked to whether 0w20 or 5w30 was Ive seen on a honda jazz forum saying after years later there are so much of wear n tear in the engine and the 0w20 is too lighter therefore 5w30 has been advised by many guys on that thread.

I guess our Verso-S  are maximum of 10yrs so far and it cannot be classified as a too old car just yet?

Also is this 5w20 type of oil sits between 0w20 and 5w30 please?

There is a certain amount of sense to that, but it usually applies to really high mileage or thrashed engines.

Check your oil levels regularly - If it's burning a lot of oil then you can consider using heavier oils, but if it's not using any then there is no reason to use heavier oils.

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 9:28 PM, Cyker said:

Check your oil levels regularly - If it's burning a lot of oil then you can consider using heavier oils, but if it's not using any then there is no reason to use heavier oils.

^^This^^

Cyker is absolutely right. Don't overthink the issue of oil. There are FAR too many 'which oil is best' threads on various forums. Buy the recommended spec oil. Check the level often. If you want to be extra kind to your engine change the oil twice as often as recommended (rather than buying the most expensive, fancy pants oil). 

Don't worry, be happy, and drive.

• Like 2

So I got the 0w20 oil in Mannol brand. Ive attached a picture of the label and circled the two requirements what I believe is required!?

So, is it the correct one in Mannol brand with API sp. Is that what we should look out for? Tia!

20220825_114623.jpg

• Like 1

Yes. That's it. This is one of the highest spec oils you can get. It is also meets many manufacturers' latest requirements (like MB 229.71, BMW LL-17 etc).

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links