Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

xl tyres? (extra load)

dave harvey

has anyone got any advice on using XL tyres ?  i have noticed some at national tyres same price as normal load tyres and with the roads being in poor condition thought these might be worth a punt have read you need to add more air pressure other than that i know nothing

XL is just a reinforce sidewall, not really needed on a Yaris TBH

• Like 2

I used to use them occasionally on my old Mk1 D4D because they were cheaper :laugh: 

If you have a diesel or a hybrid they will reduce the nasty-looking tyre-bulge you get if you use recommended tyre pressures, but in a petrol car they're not really worth it.

They give a slightly rougher/harder ride and can be a bit noiser, all expected as the sidewall is stiffer, but you can get away with slightly less PSI in them due to the stiffer/stronger sidewall. Really they're meant for vans and heavier cars.

TBH most of the time you can get a similar effect  in normal tyres by bumping the PSI up a little!

• Like 1

xl and run flat tyres are not good upgrades. unless the car went out of the factory with these. or you are planing a trip through Pakistan mountains. Just get exact same spec as per the book width, wall ratio, speed index, load index . Going xl will increase mpg, worsen the car comfort level of noise and harshness , add extra load to the wheel bearings. The only benefit is going over kerbs and potholes. 

XL are typically used on SUV, MPV's and crossovers, iirc they were first used on vans and commercial for load carrying

I had them on a previous car, factory fit

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links