Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Am I being finicky about surface rust?

Paulusdrailton

I have just been inspecting our 2013 Pearl White IQ for any other signs of paint peeling when I noticed this inner panel has signs of surface rust.

It sits just in front of the rear wheels, at the base of the wheel arch. Should there be some form of stone chip protection. Should I be concerned.

Coming from owning a 3rd generation RAV4 for many years, having spent its life in the countryside driving through fields, burst rivers and country lanes, with zero rust underneath because of the RAV4's excellent stone protection, do I need to apply something to protect the metal from deteriorating even more.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Paul.

From the photos it's hard to say what's rust and what's mud/dirt. Start by cleaning it so you can tell what's what. Surface rust on nuts, bolts and suspension components, I would not worry much about. Rust on panels and wheel housing I would try to deal with.

• Like 3

I did see that. You need to confirm that that really is rust. Scrubbing it with a normal brush. If it is rust, then you need to decide what, if anything, you do about it. Ideally, you'd get the wire wheel out and remove anything loose (take it down to paint or metal, and then paint it with primer, then paint (something like POR15 or Corroless glass reinforced paint), then underseal.

Or you leave it and monitor it regularly.

Don't just slap underseal on without first removing the rust.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links