Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

waxoyl or hammerite

RHYSF00

5 minutes ago, RHYSF00 said:

i seen two different types of products, standard waxoyl and underbody seal with added waxoyl.

Well, good point. It's the underbody seal that has become synonymous with the Waxoyl name. That's what I was referring to. Get a good paint on first. Ideally with a rust converter and inhibitor.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, APS said:

Well, good point. It's the underbody seal that has become synonymous with the Waxoyl name. That's what I was referring to. Get a good paint on first. Ideally with a rust converter and inhibitor.

ah ok. it only because i was confused looking at Halfords. kind half asleep right now. now i deffo know what im doing. 

I need to figure out how to restore suspension parts. still got orignol on my baby

• 2 weeks later...

What happens when you paint Waxoyl under seal without first removing rust and then painting...
image.thumb.png.e192bc2d138a0f8f2964f97375fe8b59.png

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 3:41 PM, APS said:

What happens when you paint Waxoyl under seal without first removing rust and then painting...
image.thumb.png.e192bc2d138a0f8f2964f97375fe8b59.png

dont look healthy there. is that what you done

It was the previous owner. He did this back in 2005. The car has stood in a garage ever since. Not moved a mile.

I was a little concerned about it myself so I cleaned up the mount. Luckily it was pretty OK.

image.thumb.png.5689734929ad2caab1d39ef7bb42da2e.png 

• Like 2

I used to use waxoyl when I was younger and cared and had a pump and spray that I attached to the 5l can.  Also had a plastic tube for insertion into box sections. 

In days of yore some out of sight components did not get painted, especially the box section seams. 

• Like 3

On 10/10/2022 at 9:25 PM, Roy124 said:

I used to use waxoyl when I was younger and cared and had a pump and spray that I attached to the 5l can.  Also had a plastic tube for insertion into box sections. 

In days of yore some out of sight components did not get painted, especially the box section seams. 

Yep, I remember using that great little tool many, many moons ago.

6 hours ago, RHYSF00 said:

Here sone sweet rust 

All I see is some surface rust on cast iron components. That's not going to cause much trouble and is easily dealt with should you decide to. You may want to consider pressure washing your car from time to time. That's a lot of crud on them suspension components. 🙂

• Like 1

One of the best products I have used is vactan it converts the rust to a stable surface to which you can paint or waxoyl I have used it on steel boats and the rust has not come through even after 5 years.

as regarding waxoyl straight onto rust I have used it on cars in the 70’s and it seemed to prevent the rust from getting worse (the original info on waxoyl stated rust killer and preventer) although best to get rid as much of the rust before application of waxoyl.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, APS said:

All I see is some surface rust on cast iron components. That's not going to cause much trouble and is easily dealt with should you decide to. You may want to consider pressure washing your car from time to time. That's a lot of crud on them suspension components. 🙂

I do wash car with hose pipe once a week. I cant do it at home as got no driveway. I use a friend driveway for maintenance 

17 hours ago, APS said:

You may want to consider pressure washing your car from time to time. That's a lot of crud on them suspension components. 🙂

Once looked at a Suzuki jeep type for sale , obviously used off road as most of the off road was in the wheel arches.  So thick it probably stopped any rust. 

However it is probably worth while jacking the car up once a year (before a service even) and giving the arches a good blast. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Once looked at a Suzuki jeep type for sale , obviously used off road as most of the off road was in the wheel arches.  So thick it probably stopped any rust. 

However it is probably worth while jacking the car up once a year (before a service even) and giving the arches a good blast. 

Yeah will do. I do my own service 

On 10/14/2022 at 5:17 PM, APS said:

so was gonna use underseal once i cleaned up the parts but been told it could have issues in regard to the UK MOT so been told to just hammerite it? 

19 hours ago, RHYSF00 said:

so was gonna use underseal once i cleaned up the parts but been told it could have issues in regard to the UK MOT so been told to just hammerite it? 

The MOT won't fail you because there is underseal, but they may add an advisory to the effect of "brake lines are covered in grease or other substance" and therefore they can't really assess the state of them. Still, use paint rather than underseal if you want to prettify things.

Painting the suspension components you showed in the photos are mainly just a cosmetic exercise. Take a pressure washer and clean off the suspension. As Roy said; do this once a year and keep an eye on things. The only things that really benefit from being painted, are the dust shields behind the brake disks. These do rot and are a bit of a pain to replace.

• 8 months later...

This is an old thread, but thought a couple of observations may be of interest.

I used the Spalding underseal place for my MX5 ND. Wasn't cheap and they sprayed inhibitor in all the panels as well; trouble is, in hot weather, it ran and it looked like brown oily tears for over a year.  Came with a 10 year warranty but then they ceased trading under one name and advised guarantees no longer valid.  Opened up again under a new name.

I am getting my 1993 MX5 Eunos done by a company in Hertfordshire. It's an import and never been on a salted road, so very clean underneath.  It's getting the "Extreme" Treatment for £460.  Prices start at £180 for a simple protection.

CSK Hertfordshire on A10

"A full clean down of the whole undercarriage of the vehicle. Thoroughly cleaned and all rust eliminated by applying ML rust inhibitor to the full undercarriage. Once dry we seal the full undercarriage including chassis, floor sections, suspension arms, brake disc covers, steering bars, front/rear trailing arms, wheel carrier supports, tank/tank guard, boot floor, front/rear bumper internal supports, arch externals with black undercarriage top coat. Clear coat cavity wax is then injected into the internal sections of the chassi to treat the inside out - this clear coat is also applied to the door inners and body seems before a clean off and seal to body work."

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links