Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross.

Max_Headroom

I have noticed the air vents in the centre are under the screen could i ask owners if you get a good cold air blast directly into your face in summer from these vents. 

Click for full size image.

erere.thumb.JPG.bc45c710e7cbce3ac7aed1a54d5aa621.JPG

The normal Yaris's vents are also in the same place. Don't have one yet, I'm sure it can be directed to the face. 

• Like 1

I don't usually aim the centre vents at myself as I find them more useful for sending cold air to whinging rear passengers, but it's in line of sight so it is possible to; I stopped doing it because I'm slightly worried about the long term effect of having cold and hot air being continually blasted at the bottom of the headunit.

Must admit it's kinda stupid positioning as anything put on that tray in front gets frozen or baked by the vents, and the bottom of the head unit is subjected to that too.

I tend to aim it flat so it blows straight back and cools my arms and rear passengers, and use the side vent to blow near my head (But not directly at it because then it's too cold! :laugh: )

20 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

The normal Yaris's vents are also in the same place. Don't have one yet, I'm sure it can be directed to the face. 

Mine are much higher -

Toyota Yaris (2014 - 2017) used car review | Car review | RAC Drive

Maybe they are not as bad as i first thought, it looks like it just misses the bottom but as you say very cold or hot air on the bottom of the screen might not be a good thing - 

Click for full size -

ggg.thumb.jpg.b8df4e65fd02c5a3eeb24e543034e264.jpg

• Haha 1

No he means in the normal Mk4 Yaris, which has a very similar interior to the YarisX

Edit: Oh god I knew Mat was a robot! He has eye and mouth lasers!!! :eek:  Leave that poor car alone you monster!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

They seemed fine to me when using the aircon in the summer heat.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jasper. said:

They seemed fine to me when using the aircon in the summer heat.

I had a feeling Toyota wouldn't have been so stupid as to put the vents where their output direction was limited by another part of the car but i had to ask  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well they are occluded a bit by the headunit and tray, but not so much that they don't work. They can't really direct air at the maximum high or as low as the vanes will tilt because the tray and headunit are in the way (Also it will just blow anything light out of the tray, which is annoying as that's where I usually put carpark cards and receipts!), but it can definitely be angled high enough to blow at the face of any human that isn't freakishly tall :laugh: 

• Like 1

I use mine all the time.  After the car heats up it automatically starts to direct cool air at the face which is really good for avoiding drowsiness.  In really hot weather, it sends all the air through those vents and if it gets a bit overpowering I can divert it just above my head.  I’m just a tad under 6ft so in my opinion they work a treat.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

No he means in the normal Mk4 Yaris, which has a very similar interior to the YarisX

Edit: Oh god I knew Mat was a robot! He has eye and mouth lasers!!! :eek:  Leave that poor car alone you monster!!

I’m gonna change your name from Cyker to Cyko.🤣😂😁

• Haha 4

But why really anyone would need direct air flow towards its body and particularly face, I know some will prefer that way, but this definitely it’s not right (healthy). Some more luxurious Toyotas 😂 have air vents on top too, to add extra fresh air towards higher part of the interior, but they don’t have screens 🖥🧐 I had only used mine once while driving through Germany in a heat wave , I was keeping my chocolate on top and was nice and cold when needed to bite 🍫🤣

2233192A-51B7-477F-B905-2C1123A9467B.jpeg

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I was keeping my chocolate on top and was nice and cold when needed to bite 🍫🤣

The 308 T9 hatch I owned had a small vent inside the glove box roof to feed it air from the HVAC system, you could keep things like chocolate as cool as the cabin - just had to remember to shut the vent when you turned the temperature back up. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

But why really anyone would need direct air flow towards its body and particularly face, I know some will prefer that way, but this definitely it’s not right (healthy).

I drive a truck with no AC for a living when i get into my hot car in summer for the short journey home i love having the vent blow icy cold air in my face its a great way to cool down, as for the health issues at my age if the ciggies haven't already done for me the alcohol will i  won't worry too much about the health implications of having cold air blowing into my face.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have the cold air directed to my face for long night journeys to keep me alert, always have done. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

I drive a truck with no AC for a living when i get into my hot car in summer for the short journey home i love having the vent blow icy cold air in my face its a great way to cool down, as for the health issues at my age if the ciggies haven't already done for me the alcohol will i  won't worry too much about the health implications of having cold air blowing into my face.  😉

Your Yaris is best for you then, especially the vent next to the door, these types can rotate and made to blow exactly were you want it. The only negative to circular vents is if you want to install a phone holder in them , but you are covered , the central ones are flat  👍

• Like 1

I don't us the round ones as i drive with my right hand most of the time and it blocks the air so it's mainly the two centre vents pointing at me.

I also don't use the vents for my phone i have something similar to the holder below which fits in the cup holder,  a short USB cable allows me to charge it on long journeys.

Car Cup Mount for Smartphones | Belkin

• Like 1

I set the phone just in front of the vent, the phone is quite hot when using Waze and under direct sun light.

I am waiting for my Cross, and never think about the vent position before. Now I am concerning if I still can set the phone as my present mk3 Yaris.

edit: Oh I forget the Cross will come with Apple car play 😂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

But why really anyone would need direct air flow towards its body and particularly face, I know some will prefer that way, but this definitely it’s not right (healthy). Some more luxurious Toyotas 😂 have air vents on top too, to add extra fresh air towards higher part of the interior, but they don’t have screens 🖥🧐 I had only used mine once while driving through Germany in a heat wave , I was keeping my chocolate on top and was nice and cold when needed to bite 🍫🤣

2233192A-51B7-477F-B905-2C1123A9467B.jpeg

The vents are designed to be pointed at the upper body and face in modern cars.  All models with automatic air conditioning including your Auris have a sophisticated computer control called a neural network control to automatically distribute the correct temperature to all points between the feet, face and windscreen.  It will automatically stabilise the temperature inside the car and steplessly mix the ratio of inside outside air intake and at the end of the journey it will purge the heater ducts to prevent stale air smells that often come with air conditioned cars.  What happens on longer journeys depends on the inside temperature and the outside ambient temperature.  After a while it will automatically open the face level vents and begin to direct cooler air towards the upper body and face.  This is because it IS healthy to have cooler air in these locations because the body naturally prefers it that way and it prevents drowsiness that comes with warm air in the upper body. Toyota have spent millions in studying and developing the automatic neural system and all models with automatic air conditioning have it.  My lowly Design spec Yaris has it and then all models with dual air conditioning take it up a level by allowing two users to set individual temperatures.   Of course I keep referring to the word AUTOMATIC because despite the car being loaded with various sensors and servos to achieve this totally variable neural network, it relies on interfering fingers leaving the heater in the AUTO setting.  The second any other button is pressed the whole benefit of having this automatic system is lost which is a great pity.  Earlier models had wheels to close the vents but later ones don’t because to get the full benefits from variable level heating, they need to be left open.  The attached files show the neural network and control and the parts file shows just how big this air conditioning and heater system is.  It occupies most of the space behind the central and passenger side dash and of course the automatic version has the computer controlled variable servos.   Not enough emphasis is put on how the system works and as a consequence many people ignorantly interfere with it.  They get in on a cold morning and away they go pressing buttons which slows it all down and points the airflow in all the wrong places.  Same on a hot day, press everything in sight and totally waste this superb and very expensive asset.  You’ve done exactly the same on yours.  To get the benefit from it the ac button and the AUTO button should be lit but you’ve overridden it   

Heating control.pdf Heating parts.pdf

• Like 4

Trouble is I dont like hot air blasted at my face.

In the days before auto ac, in winter I would often drive with hot air on my feet but the windows or sunroof open a bit so I got cool air around my head.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

rouble is I don't like hot air blasted at my face.

Same here only cold air for me in summer, in winter i tend to have the heat pointed at my feet once any demisting that is required has been done.

• Like 1

I do kind of miss those days when I wasn't conscious of things like climate change, I didn't really care about mpg.  I had a V6 under the bonnet, making a great sound and the sunroof open all year round.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of my wife is cold she turns the temperature up to karakatoa, car or house.  Then she will turn it right down when too hot.  We end up with her side set at 16 and mine at 24 to compensate 😁

• Haha 2

I don’t know if the references to hot air in the face are in response to my post but if it is you’ve misread it because the system prevents that.  It sends cooler air to the upper body and face.   I hate warm air in the face.

47 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Of my wife is cold she turns the temperature up to karakatoa, car or house.  Then she will turn it right down when too hot.  We end up with her side set at 16 and mine at 24 to compensate 😁

I like it hot thanks to beta blockers so I get my feet smouldering and then the auto takes care of cooling the top half up.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links