Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Search for an IQ - What to look for?

smilesy

Hi everyone, I'm interested in buying this quirky little car for my kids to learn in (me to have a bit of fun in😀). I've been searching your good forum and others to get an idea of the car, but would like to know what faults to look for in the car, which factory options are worth it, and what mods are essential for your own personal experience please?

I've been to look at one so far but thought it was in a tatty state with peeling (white) paint and corroded alloys so didn't even take it for a spin to see if there was any clutch issues.

Hopefully with your help I'll find the right one soon. In the meantime I'll continue delving through past owner threads.

No doubt I'll have a few quests for the experts along the way.

Many thanks 👍

• Like 1

You are not allowed to take a driving test in the IQ for info.

Go for a 2 at least, the 1s are too basic. Corroding alloys are not too much of an issue and will be plentiful on these as they are older now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dizeee said:

Why not James ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dizeee said:

Go for a 2 at least, the 1s are too basic. Corroding alloys are not too much of an issue and will be plentiful on these as they are older now.

Sorry, not sure what you're saying here? I meant that due to the scruffy nature of this car I didn't even consider a test drive at which point I would have checked for mechanical issues (same as any sane person would on a test drive).

2 hours ago, smilesy said:

I'm interested in buying this quirky little car for my kids to learn in

There are a few cars that DVSA have stated cannot be used for taking a driving test as they may not give the examiner all round vision. The Toyota IQ is one of them - see:

https://www.gov.uk/driving-test/using-your-own-car

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think James is referring to the fact that your kids would be unable to take their driving tests in an IQ.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. They definitely won't be taking their tests in them as they will be having a proper driving instructor. This will be for used for learning in between their lessons with myself, and for when they pass their test. Cheers.

• Like 3

There is an issue re pearlescent white paintwork and peeling. Toyota have resprayed numbers of cars under goodwill, but I believe now won't consider this unless the car is under 10 years old and has a Toyota service history.

So may be best to avoid pearlescent white cars.

• Like 3

Thanks once more. Is it the general consensus that the pearl white paint is hit or miss and would have appeared on any effected cars by now? Also are there reports of this happening on other colours?

I always also use the mot checker.... a great online tool. 👍

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, smilesy said:

Is it the general consensus that the pearl white paint is hit or miss and would have appeared on any effected cars by now?

Not necessarily - the Club is still getting the odd topic raised on this issue. The latest topic was 17th September 2022.

• Like 2

I'm in the same boat.  I'm looking for a cheap but decent car for my daughter to learn in, an iq or an aygo, or even a C1, same car as Aygo. 

• Like 1

The car that I looked at had it really bad just above the boot. Just wondering if it's better to go for another colour?

The 3 main issues I've read so far seem to be the paint, clutch and water in the car (from one source or another) with each possibly being an expensive fix. 

I'd really be interested to know if the pros outweigh the potential cons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, smilesy said:

Just wondering if it's better to go for another colour?

As I said earlier, best to avoid pearlescent white. 

Other colours don't have the same issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, smilesy said:

Thanks for the replies. They definitely won't be taking their tests in them as they will be having a proper driving instructor. This will be for used for learning in between their lessons with myself, and for when they pass their test. Cheers.

As both a driving instructor & an owner of an iQ (which my 18 year old daughter drives (full licence holder)) I would not recommend one for private practice.

The turning circle is fantastic on the iQ but this means that it is unlikely to be representative of whatever vehicle your child is/will be learning on.

This means that bay parking (forward & reverse) as well as Parallel parking will be complicated as the dual control learner car and the iQ manoeuvre significantly differently.

As another poster has said (and you acknowledge) the iQ cannot be used for the actual driving test.  

My understanding is that this is not due to visibility out of the iQ but due to the fact that you cannot see the first half of the speedometer from the passenger seat.  

For safety you would need to use a gps or mobile in a cradle (recommend Waze) which clearly shows the actual speed.

To be legal it needs to be mounted outside of the swept area of the front screen.  Best position for a driver is bottom right of screen however for you to supervise it will need to be mounted adjacent to the nearside 'A' pillar.

In conclusion:

* I think the iQ is a fantastic car and wish I'd bought one sooner.

* My daughter loves driving 'her' iQ and has done 6k Miles in just 6 months

* I CANNOT recommend the iQ for private practice as it is likely to cause more issues than it will solve.

Good luck with both your decision and your child's practical test.

Regards, David.

• Like 4

Thank you David for a detailed response, your insight is much appreciated. I'll still look at buying one of these but change its usage until tests have been passed.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Touring_Dave said:

My understanding is that this is not due to visibility out of the iQ but due to the fact that you cannot see the first half of the speedometer from the passenger seat.

The reason on the DVSA website is, as quoted earlier, 'may not give the examiner all round vision'.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The reason on the DVSA website is, as quoted earlier, 'may not give the examiner all round vision'.

I'm aware of what the DVSA site says as refer my learners, or more accurately their parents, to it regularly...

Not being able to see the  speedometer from the passenger seat is a big no.

Speed cannot be regulated by either a driver or the examiner from an auxiliary gauge eg gps unit.

Inability to see the speedometer is the problem.

Edited by Touring_Dave
  • Like 1

If they're at a fairly confident stage, it would be good for them to experience different cars and learn to adapt their driving so wouldn't be the worst thing to let them do some practise in the iQ.

If they're still quite green then deffo best to not yet, will just confuse them!! :laugh: 

It's a very nice car to be in, I keep joking it's the front-half of an Avensis :laugh: It's a bit weird turning around and finding the back of the car is so close tho'!

As others have said, deffo avoid the pearlescent paint ones, unless giving it a re-spray or wrap is going to be your way of congratulating them for passing!!

re. not using it for a driving test, have the rules changed re. the speedo? I ask because the Mk1 Yaris used to be a fairly popular learner car around here, and the speedo is completely hidden from the passenger; Most instructors apparently fitted a scangauge-style thing to show the instructor the speed, so I assume that is (Or was!) an acceptable alternative? (Obv. a GPS one would not be!)

• Like 1

My daughter will be taking lessons very soon so from what has been said above its probably not wise for her to learn in it. I am planning ahead slightly but will use it myself until then and have a bit of fun in it. She can use it until my son then passes his test a year later (obviously fingers crossed for both of them).

Budget depends on the age, condition and spec but looking between £3-6k. Not really fussed on colour as long as its not brown! I did like the white ones until today 😃

Had quite a few lexus in the past and an imported toyota aristo v300 so always liked the reliability and don't mind the interior styling. Wouldn't buy an import IQ though.

• Like 1

Re the IQ and driving test suitability, interesting article from 2009:

https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-advice/2009/toyota-iq-unsuitable-for-driving-test/

Please return to the topic subject - "Search for an IQ - what to look for."

• Thanks 3

One thing to be aware of is earlier ones with the 1.33 1NR-FE engine can be prone to oil burning/consumption due to weak piston rings, but they apparently fixed it in later ones.

The 1.0L seems to be pretty bullet proof.

I think if you're looking for a 2 then it shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cyker said:

One thing to be aware of is earlier ones with the 1.33 1NR-FE engine can be prone to oil burning/consumption due to weak piston rings, but they apparently fixed it in later ones.

The 1.0L seems to be pretty bullet proof.

I think if you're looking for a 2 then it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks. Any idea what years this issue effects for the 1.33 engine? May possibly be looking at one of these later this week. Is there any telltale signs that it would be burning oil?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links