Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Search for an IQ - What to look for?

smilesy

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Re the IQ and driving test suitability, interesting article from 2009:

https://www.parkers.co.uk/car-advice/2009/toyota-iq-unsuitable-for-driving-test/

Please return to the topic subject - "Search for an IQ - what to look for."

Thanks for the info, certainly at variance to what I was told at my local test centre but you live & learn.

When I first read the thread title, my first thought was 'MENSA'. Sorry!

5 hours ago, smilesy said:

The car that I looked at had it really bad just above the boot. Just wondering if it's better to go for another colour?

The 3 main issues I've read so far seem to be the paint, clutch and water in the car (from one source or another) with each possibly being an expensive fix. 

I'd really be interested to know if the pros outweigh the potential cons.

And issue 4 (on 1.0 engine; Blocked EGR plate (carbon) and old style catalytic converter...... All issues can be fixed, although I'm not sure about the paint job (can he done ofcourse, but could be very expensive).

Got a pearlescent white one myself, till now it's holding....... 

GREAT (little) CAR!! 

the 1.33 will be murder on the insurance for a new driver oil burning 1.33 are between 2008 and late 2011

Wouldn't have thought that it would be that much increase? The 1.3 isn't into hot hatch territory and matches the engine size of many standard small cars. However, thanks for the info which why Ive asked and it's definitely something to consider. Thanks

Nah it won't be that bad - The iQ is a fairly low insurance group and TBH the two things that have the biggest effect on insurance is the value of the car and where you live.

When my brother passed his test, we were looking at random cars on autotrader and running them through various comparison sites - You get screwed as a new driver anyway, but we found my Mk1 Yaris diesel was about £1000 to insure for him... and so was a 1.8L Toyota Celica :laugh: 

But that was with my address... when we put his in it dropped to something stupid like £300!!! :eek: 

(Even when we both had 1.4D4Ds, I'd be paying £5-600 and he'd be paying £1-200 :crybaby:  The postcode lottery trumps everything it seems!!)

Oh also, if the missus has a clean licence, stick her on their insurance as an additional driver. I don't know why but adding middle-aged women and grandmas as an additional driver seems to give a significant drop; I currently have my mum and my friend's mum on mine and it's dropped it by £120! (I tried adding my dad but that made it go up by £50...)

• Like 1

Yes I only meant that can't take test in it. Personally I would think it is fine for practice but only with the caveat that the student would need to be fairly competent and open minded to remember the dimensions and setup of the car will differ from that of other cars. So fine for practicing clutch control and road experience, but flawed for reverse parking, turning in the road and reversing at junctions. I will use mine to let my kids practice but only after around 10 hours of instruction in a benchmark learner car, I suspect a dual controlled local instructor to start with.

I have had 2 IQ2's and there are not many issues I have come across. I heard of paint peel around the boot area on earlier cars, wheels do corrode and my one has one bad one but I have just painted over it. Headlight glass clouds and mists over time but I machine polished mine last week, 10 mins and good as new. The interior marks and scratches very easily, avoid the brown red and look for cream. Many are missing their glove box folder thing, no idea why, but try and get one with it if you can. Check the exhaust for both looseness and corrosion. And check the MOT history as above, that is very important.

FWIW I picked up a 41k mileage IQ2 this month and paid £4800 from a Ford main dealer. I knocked em down by £200 from 5k with persistance. They supplied a 6 month warranty that I didn't really want, but they also serviced and MOT'd it prior to collection. They ended up refreshing and regassing the air con, replacing both plates, wipers and jets and also replaced the Battery. It would have been around a £400 service but was all included. Basically the car was a part ex and they took a punt. I think they undersold it - but there are bargains to be had if you scour. 

• Like 2

Cheers, I've got time to look for mine and I'm not in a rush so I'd rather hold out for the right car. Would prefer a dealership so I get the piece of mind with some warranty, but would also consider from an enthusiast as they tend to look after their cars also.

With the knowledge passed on from this clubs members and some research I'll hopefully end up with the right car.

Thanks once more.

IQ 1.0 is group 3-4, 1.33 is 6-7 - insurance can be a killer for a young male who is a new driver, companies are clued-up by having a mummy or daddy on the policy

TBH the insurance group makes very little difference to the premium until you get into the 30-35+ bracket - The new system is out of 50 so the difference between 3-4 to 6-7 is practically nothing.

The high premium will mostly be just because they have no NCB and also depend on where they live.

The additional driver thing works tho' (And it has to be a mummy and not a daddy)! To clarify, I'm not saying put the new driver as an additional on an existing policy - They won't generate their own NCB that way so not a good idea.

I mean them having their own policy and having mum/grandma on as an additional driver instead! (And only if they have clean licenses!)

A few groups higher for a new driver is massive, if you live in a D to F group post code (As an example Manchester is group F*) you can be in the £3k+ range

Yo

On 10/25/2022 at 9:20 AM, smilesy said:

Cheers, I've got time to look for mine and I'm not in a rush so I'd rather hold out for the right car. Would prefer a dealership so I get the piece of mind with some warranty, but would also consider from an enthusiast as they tend to look after their cars also.

With the knowledge passed on from this clubs members and some research I'll hopefully end up with the right car.

Thanks once more.

You wont get a dealership example that is worthwhile. These are now hard pickings - lots of average examples, few decent ones. Toyota wont have many and what they have will be over priced.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 8:44 AM, smilesy said:

Hi everyone, I'm interested in buying this quirky little car...

Two thoughts ...

I now have an IQ and our daughter has an Aygo. Different beasts. I suppose in an ideal world, your children would learn in, and have at home, the same car.

When I drive my daughters car and then back to mine, they feel very different: size, clutch, seating, handbrake position etc...

That said, I used to have a Lexus RX300. Died from rust. It felt big, safe, comfortable and well equipped.

Now I have an IQ. I think I was lucky. I paid just under £5,000 this Summer for a 2014 IQ2, 47,000 miles.

( Bought from a local genuine couple. Father had died having had the car for not that long. I think they just needed to see it gone, emotionally and otherwise. I did my due diligence; read loads of posts on this forum, MOT History check, HPI check, Service History, staring under the bonnet etc. )

I have had a new clutch ( my choice ) and changed the tyres for All-Seasons and re-gassed the AC. I did a mini service myself, though the oil looked brand new.

When searching I concluded, there are some good cars out there though getting more rare. Quite a few are Cat something, or high milage, or 'drives lovely', but just has...  Reading between the lines and the MOT History check are very worthwhile. I have bought privately before and, with care, have saved money and felt better about the whole transaction.

My IQ feels, 'big, safe, comfortable and well equipped'. I love the folding mirrors, photochromic rear view mirror, 9 airbags, sound system which is really quite good, climate control, fog lights etc. 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links