Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Bizarre tyre size

Toyota Integrale

£150+ fitted tyres are insane for a small car!?! Anyway sometimes there are discount throughout the year by various companies so when tyres are due look out for them. 

• Like 1

These tyres come in an insane size too 🙂
Only used for AYGO X luxury models so far.. 

• Like 1

I totally agree.  That's the price that I more or less paid for my 18" Rav4 tyres, which were twice the width and had higher side walls.  Maybe it's because the Aygo X tyres are a unusual size...

• Like 2

Yes insane profile, what are Toyota thinking putting 18" on an Aygo x! 

I'm getting a MK4 Yaris excel with 205/45/17 - the 45 don't like, needed to be 50. Even in that size Goodyear EGP2 comes out £120 fitted by Asda with £20 Asda voucher for 2 tyre purchase. Would have liked 205/55/16, that's one of the cheapest profiles around £75 same goodyear tyre. 

• Like 2

Would you consider buying smaller wheels so they fit this size ?

Is this 16" even allowed on the Yaris ?

Perhaps I said so before but AygoX owners could win on tyres by buying the cheaper 17 inch wheels.

But that is a bit like spending 400 euro to save 300.

The Yaris can go down to 15", cyker has done it. I would go to 16" though as I want the 205mm tyres width. So yes I would consider that option. But right now it cannot be done as I have no where to store the 17" set, no shed/garage. Would completely sell the 17" to recoup some cash. 

The best option to change wheels and tyres on latest Aygo imo is to buy the entry level alloys and fit them to the top spec car if you after more rubber and less metal for obvious reasons. Because the latest aygo has very odd wheels and tyres sizes anything outside manufacturer specific sizes may upset the car driving dynamics and cause an issues with stability, safety, performance, efficiency etc. Not worth it 

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 6:39 PM, haelewyn said:

Asda Tyres ? Is that a brand there ?    Sorry , but doubted about that because I know it's also the name of a supermarket.

Asda Tyres is owned by Asda supermarket. The web service is contracted to Colewood Automotive, who also operate similar websites for eTyres, RAC Tyres, etc.

• Thanks 2

This seems useful information on falken tyres..

https://www.automoblog.net/falken-tires/

Or this ... Says something about the bizarre size choices.

https://www.prioritytire.com/blog/wide-tires-vs-narrow-tires-all-you-need-to-know/

On bigger wheels

https://carfromjapan.com/article/industry-knowledge/pros-and-cons-of-bigger-wheels-in-car/

Sometimes I feel manufacturers get it quite wrong on the tyre/wheel sizes they put on cars. I mean, Aygo X and GR Yaris on 18"? Silly, it's not a racing car. To cost even £100 per tyre for the AygoX is wrong, let alone more. 

I feel the aygoX could do with a 185-195mm tyre width rather than slightly more fuel efficient 175mm. For the Yaris 205/55/16 and 205/50/17 is the way to go. 

• Like 2

Falken Tyres have headquarters in Japan, US and Germany, with manufacturing plants in Japan, US, China, Turkey, South Africa, Brazil and Thailand. 

For the European market Aygo and Corolla, the tyres probably come from the Turkish plant. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojo1010 said:

Sometimes I feel manufacturers get it quite wrong on the tyre/wheel sizes they put on cars. I mean, Aygo X and GR Yaris on 18"? Silly, it's not a racing car. To cost even £100 per tyre for the AygoX is wrong, let alone more. 

I feel the aygoX could do with a 185-195mm tyre width rather than slightly more fuel efficient 175mm. For the Yaris 205/55/16 and 205/50/17 is the way to go. 

Toyota could have gone 175/65R17, 185/55R18, 195/45R19 but their choice of 175/65R17 and 175/60R18 is better suited to the car.

I doubt the wider and lower profile 185 and 195 tyres would do much for the Aygo's handling. After all, the centre of gravity is too high and the springs set up for a little bit of comfort rather than posting the quickest time around a race track.

I once saw a video of an SUV doing a cone test while on wide, low profile 20" tyres. The big SUV got completely out of shape. It demonstrated that no matter how wide and low profile the tyres, you can't make a high centre of gravity car handle like a Ferrari.

• Like 1

Having the 18" wheels/tyres on the Aygo X was one of the attractions that drew me to the car.  If it had 17", I would still have bought it, but no smaller.

Yes, it's going to be painful come the time to buy new tyres, but at least we know of TWO tyre manufacturers that are fitted to the Aygo X.  Maybe there will be more choices in the future.

42 minutes ago, Aygolite said:

Toyota could have gone 175/65R17, 185/55R18, 195/45R19 but their choice of 175/65R17 and 175/60R18 is better suited to the car.

I doubt the wider and lower profile 185 and 195 tyres would do much for the Aygo's handling. After all, the centre of gravity is too high and the springs set up for a little bit of comfort rather than posting the quickest time around a race track.

I once saw a video of an SUV doing a cone test while on wide, low profile 20" tyres. The big SUV got completely out of shape. It demonstrated that no matter how wide and low profile the tyres, you can't make a high centre of gravity car handle like a Ferrari.

Perhaps you are basing the 3 alternative sizes to within tolerance of current sizes? No need for that way as the setup can of different sizes from the start 185/60/17 or 195/60/17. 

SUV are heavy vehicles so doesn't compare to a light super small Aygo; Aygo ain't doing any cone test. Wider will make a difference in terms of grip/traction on non snow surface. Narrow tyres are to be more fuel efficient and secondly less road noise. 

Wheel sizes, tyre sizes , types , load index, speed index, all that been taken into consideration when the designers and engineers worked to create this new model. In fact latest Toyota models tend to have similar wheels tyres combo to the bmw i3 which has odd and old school (1914-1950’s) tyre ratios. , perhaps there is some benefit. The only downside to the New Aygo car owner is choice of tyres and prices. If me I will rather stick to the oem combination because even smaller 17” wheels and tyres are still an odd one and benefits of swapping those are minimal or 0.
My car got wheel-tyre mode but in my case we are talking about very common sizes, huge benefits from cheaper tyres, wider choice and no dynamic characteristics change at all, or actually I made the car drivable on snow with summer tyres where previously with its original size and low profile tyres the car was uncontrollable on any slippery surfaces even at ultra low speeds,  ow it’s very different and made my choice worth every penny. 👍

• Like 1

The Aygo X isn't the first car to have a 'uncommon' tyre size. For example the Verso S when it first went on sale in the UK had a tyre size that was initially only available from Dunlop. The Mazda Premacy originally had a tyre that was specifically designed for that model by Toyo. Etc.

Given the Aygo X was only introduced part way through this year, and in time other tyre manufacturers will certainly produce their own tyres in this size - and the choice of makes will widen.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

If me I will rather stick to the oem combination because even smaller 17” wheels and tyres are still an odd one and benefits of swapping those are minimal or 0.

17 inch wheels are standard on low trim basic Aygo X models. >> 175/65/17

18 inch comes standard on the two highest trim levels. >> 175/60/18

So both are in fact OEM on this car...

As far as I can see now, 15 or 16 inch was never mentioned so not allowed (I guess) to install in my country.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Given the Aygo X was only introduced part way through this year, and in time other tyre manufacturers will certainly produce their own tyres in this size - and the choice of makes will widen.

As long as this model starts to be popular enough... Which is not the case here yet.
Will only happen in a few years when enough drivers start to replace their tyres.
No real market big enough for it now

• Like 1

On 12/27/2022 at 7:59 PM, Mojo1010 said:

Yes insane profile, what are Toyota thinking putting 18" on an Aygo x! 

I'm getting a MK4 Yaris excel with 205/45/17 - the 45 don't like, needed to be 50. Even in that size Goodyear EGP2 comes out £120 fitted by Asda with £20 Asda voucher for 2 tyre purchase. Would have liked 205/55/16, that's one of the cheapest profiles around £75 same goodyear tyre. 

Agree and the price to replace is not cheap, why put such big wheels on a car that is ment to be cheap to run and good on fuel? 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Eddie G said:

Agree and the price to replace is not cheap, why put such big wheels on a car that is ment to be cheap to run and good on fuel? 

I would like to see the next model come out with even bigger outside diameter tyres, ie. BMW i3 size tyres.

Perhaps 175/65R18, 175/60R19, 175/55R20.

The Aygo also needs a much bigger 1.5 litre engine from the Yaris. Mainly for 50% better bottom end engine torque.

The 5Jx17 ET40 4/100 54.1 steel rims are now available on mytyres. £65.40 including shipping isn't too bad compared to the price of the 175/65R17 tyres.

5Jx17 ET40 4/100 54.1 steel rim

150x150-cc-xxxxxx.png

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/rims/details?vehicleId=1401485349519102564&rimCode=ALCAR9616

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

32 minutes ago, haelewyn said:

Will only happen in a few years

Which is effectively what I have already said.

The latest Prius 5th generation also has an odd size wheels and tyres. I also noticed a lot more noise intrusion into the cabin from watching videos about it and that is confirmed by most car reviewers. Large wheels diameter and less tyre walls can’t dampen the noise and vibrations as good as more standard tyre sizes. , it seems car manufacturers in their pursuit for extra mpg continue to kill the comfort. Also these very narrow tyres will not last very long too. There are some charts about wheels and tyres ratios and mass of the vehicles, plus tracks and wheel bases. And yes, I fully support what you guys are saying, Aygo is a “cheap car” as cheap can be called these days , but why those odd tyre sizes and how much more customers will pay for replacement. 

• Like 2

The Aygo X reminded me a bit of a cartoon modification when i first saw the wheels on it 😁IMG_20221230_021405.thumb.jpg.0993cf20c90b0fd97689e0fe6298171f.jpg

• Haha 4

The space saver wheel and tyres are cheap at the moment due to a price discrepancy, perhaps run around on 4 of them. 🤪

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...

Continental also made a summer tyre for the 18 inch wheels of the Aygo X nowadays.
Not cheap... but way to go if other brands start making tyres in this size.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links