Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wood Battery

Derek.w

You'll be telling me you can get electricity from potatoes next. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

You'll be telling me you can get electricity from potatoes next. 

Would that mean the potatoes would cook themselves 😅

Need a lot of potatoes, I prefer to use lemons myself! :laugh: 

That's interesting but I'm not sure if I understand how it works. It seems  more like the lignin is just being used as a structure for a metal foil rather than having any part in storing charge but I may just be misunderstanding as it's not very clear!

Doing some more reading, it seems that effectively they're using lignin to make a synthetic graphite anode, so that should be a fairly easy drop-in replacement for existing graphite anodes.

Will be a bit of an uphill battle tho' as if there's one thing we don't want to do it's cut down more trees, and I suspect this will be more expensive for the moment vs graphite, but if they can tweak it to be superior to graphite for charge storage and get it to market we may yet see its benefits!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Doing some more reading, it seems that effectively they're using lignin to make a synthetic graphite anode, so that should be a fairly easy drop-in replacement for existing graphite anodes.

Will be a bit of an uphill battle tho' as if there's one thing we don't want to do it's cut down more trees, and I suspect this will be more expensive for the moment vs graphite, but if they can tweak it to be superior to graphite for charge storage and get it to market we may yet see its benefits!

Well you can guess this will be killed off quickly with the green lobby. However we should not be cutting down anymore trees we do that enough. 

Indeed. If they can make it from waste material, and there's enough of it, then that's perfect, but if demand grows and that means more trees need to get cut down to make them that's a problem again.

It's like one of the problems the banning of plastic bags created in some countries - Where they switched to paper bags (Because that seemed like the obvious environmentally friendly approach), it turned out to be worse as paper comes from trees, even recycled paper usually has some % of new tree in it. It also turns out plastic bags are very energy efficient to make compared to paper bags, and they are reusable while paper bags are very much one use.

I tend to just bring those sturdy bags-for-life, but they are even worse for the environment from the outset. On the bright side the break even point is about 20 times re-use so they are better in the long term. As long as I remember to bring them anyway!! (As opposed to the dump of shame where I have to fling the contents of my basket/trolley into the boot with no bags, and then wince every time something goes THUNK or CLINK as I hear everything moving around the back on the way home...)

• Haha 1

Hmm a better example would have been ethanol - We are wasting a lot of farming capacity globally to make corn to make ethanol instead of food.

It was fine at first as demand was low, and the waste products from corn were used to make the ethanol, but because so much ethanol is needed now they are being grown specifically to make it instead of food which is really stupid.

I don't know why they don't just use grass or something instead as that is a waste product from almost every household in a temperate climate country that just gets composted or thrown into landfill and otherwise wasted, and doesn't need fertilizer or any kind of maintenance like corn does!

• Like 1

Well what about  paper recycled into batterys even if its just for a torch.IMG_0399.thumb.PNG.f6f6aa6b6265c29088803f859a4a0bb7.PNGIMG_0395.thumb.JPG.ba503655c5150350df1b52c3a0b70dc5.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Indeed. If they can make it from waste material, and there's enough of it, then that's perfect, but if demand grows and that means more trees need to get cut down to make them that's a problem again.

It's like one of the problems the banning of plastic bags created in some countries - Where they switched to paper bags (Because that seemed like the obvious environmentally friendly approach), it turned out to be worse as paper comes from trees, even recycled paper usually has some % of new tree in it. It also turns out plastic bags are very energy efficient to make compared to paper bags, and they are reusable while paper bags are very much one use.

I tend to just bring those sturdy bags-for-life, but they are even worse for the environment from the outset. On the bright side the break even point is about 20 times re-use so they are better in the long term. As long as I remember to bring them anyway!! (As opposed to the dump of shame where I have to fling the contents of my basket/trolley into the boot with no bags, and then wince every time something goes THUNK or CLINK as I hear everything moving around the back on the way home...)

Always makes me wonder why do they moan about plastic bags and the environmental impact and blame us but don't attack the companies that make them.

• Like 1

Matter is neither created nor destroyed, but is subject to the law of unforeseen consequences. 

• Like 1

Moved to General Club Discussions.

Just seen this a day or so ago

IMG_0403.thumb.PNG.3c537e41a56f0a6b09889c261bedf5a2.PNGIMG_0402.thumb.PNG.32ed5f2adb87720717bd242b1cdccd2b.PNG

Just maybe Fred Flinstone owned the first green tree car!.

• Haha 1

Topics merged.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links