Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Estima - Stock DVD player front monitor - handbrake override hack to watch dvds whilst driving?

Suchuwato

2007 Estima Hybrid G. 
I've got the inbuilt stock Toyota Panoramic Sound system with the CD/DVD & Mini Disc player - which I am fine and happy with (connected to front, side and rear cameras etc/bluetooth etc and all the other bits and bobs).

However, my eldest when sitting in the front seat wants to watch DVDs (whilst Mum and Baby sit in the back) when we are driving, having become accustomed to watching DVDs in the back seat from the drop down monitor.  Presently, its not possible whilst driving -to watch the DVDs on the front monitor (Audio works but the screen has a graphic and no video). 

Presume there is some sort of override connected to the "hand'brake - which, when it is NOT engaged (ie when you are driving) prevents the watching of DVDs on the front monitor.  When the car is stationary & 'hand'brake engaged, the DVDs can be viewed on the front monitor.  The rear drop down monitor displays regardless of whether 'hand'foot brake is engaged or not.

Am reluctant to change the unit through fear of affecting the camera bluetooth etc (and I like minidiscs)/ dont know any car audio people.

Has anyone managed to get a hack/fiddle so DVD can be watched through the front monitor whilst driving.  Am vaguely aware there is some sort cable that needs to be 'earthed' or connected to metal to  get round the screen override?  

If anyone can assist /provide details/guidance would be very grateful.

it can be as simple as the handbrake signal, mid 2000's they introduced VIM (Video in Motion) what is a combination of handbrake, VSS and can bus, not sure if Toyota did tho

I have a switch next to steering wheel(was there when I bought the car).

In my case Dvd works only when gearbox is in Parking. Doesn't matter if handbrake is on or off.

When I press magic button and get it in to Drive screen works normally:), but it has to be pressed while in Parking. It does not unlock screen when in Drive and press button.

4 hours ago, Suchuwato said:

2007 Estima Hybrid G. 
I've got the inbuilt stock Toyota Panoramic Sound system with the CD/DVD & Mini Disc player - which I am fine and happy with (connected to front, side and rear cameras etc/bluetooth etc and all the other bits and bobs).

However, my eldest when sitting in the front seat wants to watch DVDs (whilst Mum and Baby sit in the back) when we are driving, having become accustomed to watching DVDs in the back seat from the drop down monitor.  Presently, its not possible whilst driving -to watch the DVDs on the front monitor (Audio works but the screen has a graphic and no video). 

Presume there is some sort of override connected to the "hand'brake - which, when it is NOT engaged (ie when you are driving) prevents the watching of DVDs on the front monitor.  When the car is stationary & 'hand'brake engaged, the DVDs can be viewed on the front monitor.  The rear drop down monitor displays regardless of whether 'hand'foot brake is engaged or not.

Am reluctant to change the unit through fear of affecting the camera bluetooth etc (and I like minidiscs)/ dont know any car audio people.

Has anyone managed to get a hack/fiddle so DVD can be watched through the front monitor whilst driving.  Am vaguely aware there is some sort cable that needs to be 'earthed' or connected to metal to  get round the screen override?  

If anyone can assist /provide details/guidance would be very grateful.

Like you, I was happy with the OEM headunit and added attachments to ensure compatibility.

I would be reluctant to set the screen to play moving images. The temptation to view it whilst driving would be high - and I wouldn’t wish an accident occurring.

A separate screen would be better IMO.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links