Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 04 Pda Navigation Setup

ulro

:D :D :D

Instead of the factory fitted Toyota Navigation system, I decided for a PDA based system with an HP Ipaq and a bluetooth GPS receiver. This way my navigation system is mobile so I can use it in a rental vehicle for instance

Just want to share with others how I set it up for my Avensis 04

plates.jpg

Between the center air wents and next to the cupholder I attached magnetic plates with adhesive i.e no permanent damage to the interior.

cradle.jpg

A modified "jacket" from my previous Ipaq H3660 serves as the cradle for my present Ipaq H2210. Onto the back of the cradle I attached a plexiglas bracket with two strong magnets that attaches to the metal plates. The magnets are covered with rubber to further enhace the grip of the magnets. The whole arrangement sits very firm and have not yet fallen of despite driving down some really bumpy roads here in Sweden.

logo.jpg

Here is the Ipaq mounted in the cradle

antenna.jpg

The active antenna is mounted centered on top of the dash. The antenna cable is tucked all the way down between the windscreen and the dash. The antenna is connected to an Holux GP230 bluetooth receiver which for the time being is just thrown into the glove compartment.

mapopolis.jpg

This shows the Navigation application running. For now I use Mapopolis software and I find it easy to use but maybe a bit slow when looking up adresses in the database. I want to try Destinator 3 and maybe also TomTom 3 navigation before I decide which software to finally use.

I can also use the Ipaq for playing MP3 music and even for Divx video playback. I use a simple cassette adapter in order to get the Audio to the Car stereo. The sound quality is quite acceptable.

// Ulro

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links