Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

“Wiggle Room” Service Plans

Jimota

If everything goes to plan I should pick up my Yaris Cross Design mid December.  During the initial negotiations at the end of May I was given a fair price for my trade-in and left satisfied that I had secured a good deal.  However, service plans were not really discussed in detail so it’s something I’ll have to raise with the dealership next month.  Most of my previous non Toyota car purchases included 2 free services or were heavily discounted.  I believe that the service cost for a Yaris Cross Design is around £220.  I’d be looking at a 2 or 3 year deal and was wondering if there is some “Wiggle Room”  to reduce the cost.  Is there any benefit paying the cost up front or would it be better to pay a monthly interest free payment?

• Like 1

Service intervals are 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first and services are Intermediate at 1 year/10K, 3 years/30K, etc, and Full services at 2 years/20K, 4 years/40K, etc.

The service cost quoted is just for intermediate service, and the Full service is approx £300 at current prices.

There may be some wriggle depending on the dealer. Sometimes there are additional dealer benefits such as a discount on parts, accessories, etc.

One thing to bear in mind is that service plans fix the costs for the period of the plan - so one can avoid any service cost increases for the period. 

Suppose paying for the plan monthly on interest free, spreads the cost, but also if your car is written off, you have less money to claw back from the plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Suppose paying for the plan monthly on interest free, spreads the cost, but also if your car is written off, you have less money to claw back from the plan.

My first Toyota plan was for 3 services and involved monthly payments for 2.5 years.  When I cancelled the plan after the 2nd service.  Had there been a surplus they would have refunded the difference. 

My present plan is for 2 services.  It was sold within the initial invoice but is still subject to different paperwork.  I understood that should the car not get the services as you suggest then it would be transfered or refunded. 

It would be worth getting the deal confirmed in writing. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Had there been a surplus they would have refunded the difference.

Yes, but using the monthly instalments, there would have been less that you would have paid out as you were part way through the plan and less to refund

• Like 1

I know Toyota has an excellent reputation for reliability but has anyone used their roadside recovery service after 12 months of ownership?  Just trying to work out if it would be better to stay with Toyota and include the cost along with the annual service charges or go to the AA/RAC recovery for their types of cover.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimota said:

or go to the AA/RAC recovery for their types of cover.

When my 'free' Toyota cover ended earlier this year I did a bit of research and ended up going with startrescue.co.uk

I can't comment on their service (yet) but insanely cheap ... for a Toyota at least.

• Like 1

Wow!  Never heard of startrescue.co.uk but they get great reviews and are Which recommended.  To get cover for my present car would be £30 which includes nationwide recovery.  The only thing excluded is european cover which I would never need.  Will keep this company in mind after I receive my new car and the Toyota cover runs out in 12 months time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Yes, but using the monthly instalments, there would have been less that you would have paid out as you were part way through the plan and less to refund

Actually not in my case.  The plan was to cover the 3 services (3 years) but paid over 2.5 years.  I cancelled after 2 services having paid for 2 years.  It was near cost neutral. 

• Like 1

However, the general point still stands.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jimota said:

I know Toyota has an excellent reputation for reliability but has anyone used their roadside recovery service after 12 months of ownership?  Just trying to work out if it would be better to stay with Toyota and include the cost along with the annual service charges or go to the AA/RAC recovery for their types of cover.

Toyota use AA and at half the price so that is a good deal.  You pay annually in advance.  Sounds good. 

The catch is they no longer offer a transfer deal.  Suppose you buy full cover for year 3 but exchange your car for a new one at 6 months the extra 6 months stays with the old car.  Explained in detail on the forum. 

We renew Toyota Roadside Assistance each year and have done for the Toyotas we've had since they transferred from the RAC back in the 90's. Also for the past few years they have been a Which? Recommended Provider for manufacturer branded breakdown services (the 2 others being Honda and Lexus).

Hi All,

We bought a Yaris Hybrid in Feb22, along with a 2 year service deal(£299) The dealership lost the franchise and refunded the money as it was,I learnt, a dealership set up (non transferable) not a Toyota manufacturers deal. I've just been quoted £740. This is for 2 Intermediate and 1 Full service.(no MOT's), available at any Toyota Dealer. As it extends warranty every year,it's a lot cheaper than an after market extended warranty (for now). 🤗🤗

• Like 1

We got quote 740 initially for the Aygo. We pushed back and got it down to 700.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links