Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross - Dimming of dashboard and info screens

PJR77

I have an intermittent and irritating issue. I am driving along at night with the headlights on (obviously) and all of a sudden the dashboard and information screens will dim for no apparent reason. After a while they will brighten again. Any ideas what this could be? I am coming up to my second service so I would like to give the dealer a steer on what it might be.

Think it's supposed to do that Pat, stops you being distracted by the bright screen when driving in the dark 👍

There may be an adjustment somewhere in the menu to tweek it, but I haven't checked as it doesn't really bother me.

I agree that there should be a method of controlling the brightness to suit, I haven't actually looked at this, but this flicks between bright and dim and back again on its own. Thanks for your reply though.

• Like 1

It shouldn't do that, raise issue with dealer next time it goes in. On the mk3 there are option to adjust brightness in the menu for the media screen. 

• Like 1

I don't have a problem driving in the dark but in the early evenings when daylight is fading and the headlights are on I do find it distracting and annoying when the screen flickers between bright and dim.   

• Like 1

The light sensor looks upwards so street lights, trees, gantrys, the moon etc. can make it brighten and darken as you pass under them.

There is definitely options for controlling the brightness of the dash/MID and infotainment display, as I found them when exploring the menus, but I couldn't tell you where they are off the top of my head!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The light sensor looks upwards so street lights, trees, gantrys, the moon etc. can make it brighten and darken as you pass under them.

There is definitely options for controlling the brightness of the dash/MID and infotainment display, as I found them when exploring the menus, but I couldn't tell you where they are off the top of my head!!

Ah! That sounds like a possible cause, thank you. I will monitor that and see if there is a link.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Trewithy said:

I don't have a problem driving in the dark but in the early evenings when daylight is fading and the headlights are on I do find it distracting and annoying when the screen flickers between bright and dim.   

Yep my Yaris Hybrid M4 does the same.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, RobertR said:

how often they flickers? It should have some hysteresis.

I’ve liked your post only because it’s such a long time since I heard the word hysteresis - all the way back in my vehicle development days 👍.  I agree it does but as Cyker has said, it’s down to the settings in which you can set a dampening effect by turning the sensitivity down.   

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, anchorman said:

I’ve liked your post only because it’s such a long time since I heard the word hysteresis - all the way back in my vehicle development days 👍.  I agree it does but as Cyker has said, it’s down to the settings in which you can set a dampening effect by turning the sensitivity down.   

What sensitivity are you referring to?   If it is the light sensor I currently have it on the standard setting of 0.  In the past I have tried it on -2 and +2, this affects the timing of the headlight switch on but does not affect the on/off dimming of the screen.

• Like 2

From your replies it looks like I don't have a fault, merely that it is 'a feature of the car' to use the dealers time-honoured phrase. I think I will mention it at my upcoming service though.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links