Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota coolant fluid

JARC1

2012 Avensis 2.0 Ltr D4D T-Spirit

Which Coolant Fluid do I have, or should use in my car. 

Thanks and Regards, John

Toyota Super Long Life coolant (pink).

Available from:

other sellers on eBay, etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota Super Long Life coolant (pink).

Available from:

other sellers on eBay, etc

Many thanks.

What is the difference between Toyota PINK and Toyota RED coolant fluids ?

Cheers, John

The difference is in life. 

Red coolant should be changed at 2 years or 30,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

The factory fill pink coolant should first be changed at 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and then be replaced every 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Pink coolant has been used as the factory fill since approx 2003, so a 2012 car will have this coolant.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

The difference is in life. 

Red coolant should be changed at 2 years or 30,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

The factory fill pink coolant should first be changed at 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and then be replaced every 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Pink coolant has been used as the factory fill since approx 2003, so a 2012 car will have this coolant.

Mike 

Many thanks and very interesting.

I guess my coolant should be changed, just in case. The car has done 88,000 miles but I have no proof that the coolant has ever been changed. 10 years , rather than 1000,000 miles does apply.

Is there any specific / special process involved in totally changing the coolant ?

Regards, John.

my car is a 2014 2.0d4d 1adftv with 52k on the clock  im going to change the gearbox oil with genuine toyota gear oil which i got from toyota. i was half thinking of changing the cooland also for the same stuff that is in my car also as i want this car to last  as long as i can. what you guys think is it a waste of time changing coolant yet 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2009joe said:

my car is a 2014 2.0d4d 1adftv with 52k on the clock  im going to change the gearbox oil with genuine toyota gear oil which i got from toyota. i was half thinking of changing the cooland also for the same stuff that is in my car also as i want this car to last  as long as i can. what you guys think is it a waste of time changing coolant yet 

Certainly wouldn't do any harm Joe 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i just clean the water coolant in the filling tank, took it out clean it and put it back with 2 of those + red water the best one that i found, from the dealer store (not toyota coolant)

5 hours ago, avensis_2018 said:

hi, i add 2 of those to my coolant great +++ highly recommend

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BRGAJ2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Being as Toyota specifically recommend their Pink Coolant for my car and apparently it contains all that is needed, I shall, despite its very high cost, stick with it and do not see the need for additives.

Regards, John

• Like 4

well tbh the reason why i would advise that ONLY to put in toyota recommended and genuine toyota coolant as you never know what damage other coolants and additives will do the the car  engine head will do. my last car a vw group car i thought id  look after it and i did changed the oil myself and changed the collangt to new stuff bought in a motorfactor . well at 130k the head gasket went on it and needed done i seen wheer was leaking and well i was wondering what could cause it. i also put inthe car liquid molly diesel purge as i thought id be doing a good thing also. i could only come to a conclusion that maybe the liquid molly caused the head gasket to go on it or the motor factor coolant . thats why tbh i would advist stick to genuine toyota oil, genuine toyota collant for the engine,genuine gearbox oil for the car and tbh im half thinking putting those diesel purge  or other fuel additives might be a bad idea .im not going to make a mistake with this car as i did with my last one a vw group car 1.9tdi it was a great going car i loved it and drove well but after getting the head re skimmed etc was not the same 

• Like 3

With all the respect, VW can't stand with toyota when you talking about reliable and parts quality (engine, gear, and so ... )

VW Its Not toyota !

This is why after try toyota, i'm buying only toyota cars.

6 hours ago, avensis_2018 said:

With all the respect, VW can't stand with toyota when you talking about reliable and parts quality (engine, gear, and so ... )

VW Its Not toyota !

This is why after try toyota, i'm buying only toyota cars.

Well I love Toyota that's why bought this one and we'll I'm one of those guys that's holds on 2 cars a really long time about 11 years before I'd be bothered changing and it's second hand freshish when I get it.my last one was a VW group car (seat) and tbh I had that for 11 years a 1.9tdi 110bhp tbh was a great going car with little problems with it for the years so if this Toyota last as long with no problems I'd be happy .problem I'd say will have as I don't do much driving would be dpf egr problems I'm guessing and maybe that stupid epb as it alone looks like a disaster .my old seat didn't come with those problems I disconnected the egr and it had the tried and tested handbreak 

wow i respect that, enjoy, hope for you and wishing you a long and happy years with no problems.

• Like 1

Additive in coolant is no need. Just buy from Toyota pink ready mixed long life coolant. Drain and refill only. No need to do any flushing or trying to get all content out. Radiator has a drain tap at lower left corner, you can insert a tube 9mm ID into it, undo and watch how slowly goes out., preferably straight into an empty container. It takes some time but it’s nice and clean process. Then tight the drain tap, and refill the reservoir full, start the engine and be ready to add coolant quickly, let the engine running and keep an eye on the coolant level, top up as necessary. Make sure your heater settings are at max temperature and lowest fan speed. You have to wait until engine reaches 95C° and thermostat opens so second loop starts circulating the coolant through the radiator, this is the time when radiator fans should start working too. After they stopped you can switch off engine, wait 5 min and carefully open the reservoir cap, let the air out and top up if necessary to the max mark. These are most common steps for replacing coolant in many Toyota cars. Best to check your repair manual to see if anything is different. 
Good luck 

470E3B80-4440-40D9-AD15-6D4E8C7A9BE0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What’s your hourly rate , wouldn’t mind a trustworthy machanic to do mine 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/20/2022 at 8:52 PM, TonyHSD said:

Additive in coolant is no need. Just buy from Toyota pink ready mixed long life coolant. Drain and refill only. No need to do any flushing or trying to get all content out. Radiator has a drain tap at lower left corner, you can insert a tube 9mm ID into it, undo and watch how slowly goes out., preferably straight into an empty container. It takes some time but it’s nice and clean process. Then tight the drain tap, and refill the reservoir full, start the engine and be ready to add coolant quickly, let the engine running and keep an eye on the coolant level, top up as necessary. Make sure your heater settings are at max temperature and lowest fan speed. You have to wait until engine reaches 95C° and thermostat opens so second loop starts circulating the coolant through the radiator, this is the time when radiator fans should start working too. After they stopped you can switch off engine, wait 5 min and carefully open the reservoir cap, let the air out and top up if necessary to the max mark. These are most common steps for replacing coolant in many Toyota cars. Best to check your repair manual to see if anything is different. 
Good luck 

470E3B80-4440-40D9-AD15-6D4E8C7A9BE0.jpeg

Hi,

thanks for the step by step guide. I've watched some videos on YouTube and got completely confused: some people recommend to take the lower hose off, some others are taking a bolt off at the back of the engine to drain a couple of drops of the coolant. I will follow your advice. 

I've bought this 'spill free coolant change kit':

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HV34FPB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i wouldn't take the lower house off, take off the coolant plastic box off, clean it and start from there.

good luck.

• 1 month later...
On 12/20/2022 at 8:52 PM, TonyHSD said:

Good luck 

Finally did the coolant change following this guide.

It was really easy to do with the spill free funnel. I've used Toyota original pre mixed super long life coolant: 0888980072 (£45 on ebay)

The old coolant smells quite bad almost like somthing died inside my radiator 😄

I've owned the car since 97k miles (now 147k) and I can only assume that the coolant was never changed...

photo_3_2023-04-22_17-39-28.jpg

photo_1_2023-04-22_17-39-28.jpg

photo_2_2023-04-22_17-39-28.jpg

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Seb_90 said:

Finally did the coolant change following this guide.

It was really easy to do with the spill free funnel. I've used Toyota original pre mixed super long life coolant: 0888980072 (£45 on ebay)

The old coolant smells quite bad almost like somthing died inside my radiator 😄

I've owned the car since 97k miles (now 147k) and I can only assume that the coolant was never changed...

photo_3_2023-04-22_17-39-28.jpg

photo_1_2023-04-22_17-39-28.jpg

photo_2_2023-04-22_17-39-28.jpg

Good job, well done 👍 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links