Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Inside of windscreen greasy

Hadrian1

Best that I have found over the years is microfibre cloth soapy water and squeegee. Dry off around edges with absorbent paper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2022 at 5:32 PM, Marmitek said:

Best that I have found over the years is microfibre cloth soapy water and squeegee. Dry off around edges with absorbent paper.

That's a good idea 👍🏾. Never thought of trying soapy water on the inside. But certainly makes sense.

I presume you put a towel or something across the dash to catch any drips? I think I'll give it a go next time!

I had some Rubbing Alcohol Isopropyl 99,9% Isopropanol delivered by Amazon today.

( I live next to a Halfords, but they don't have a clue )

I've tried it on the glass and it seems to have done the trick. Time will tell.

As someone else mentioned, it's probably the off gassing from the PVC , the car only being 18months old.

• Like 2

I had some Rubbing Alcohol Isopropyl 99,9% Isopropanol delivered by Amazon today.

Glad that worked i have the same stuff here just waiting for a dry day so i can give it a go, mine is on the outside.

• Like 1

A number of years ago, a work colleague recommended using swarfega hand cream on the outside of the windscreen to remove grease and sticky deposits.  I also heard that using neat petrol would also have the desired effect.  Being a belt and braces type of individual I declined to test either recommendation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yeaaah I think you made the right choice... Swarfega especially has lots of microbeads in it which would likely have scratched the windscreen! It's fantastic for cleaning oil off your skin as the beads help scrub out the pores and folds and creases in your skin that oil and guck tend to stick in, but isopropyl alcohol or a proper glass cleaner spray and a soft microfibre cloth are definitely the way to go for glass!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Swarfega was the weapon of choice in the 70s battle of what is now called "banter".

In the shed that masqueraded as a work place, the older fellas filled the bike helmet of the local "thug u like" with this gooey stuff.

He turned out ok though, maybe as a result of his head being liberally doused in in microbeads and green jelly.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Swarfega was the weapon of choice in the 70s battle of what is now called "banter".

In the shed that masqueraded as a work place, the older fellas filled the bike helmet of the local "thug u like" with this gooey stuff.

He turned out ok though, maybe as a result of his head being liberally doused in in microbeads and green jelly.

I have many questions, but I don't think I want to know the answers.

• Haha 3

Just 2 days in and noticed the film on the inside of the windscreen, not good driving at night. Some good advice here so will see what works best tomorrow 👍

• Like 2

For owners that have windscreen issues, misting or greasy marks etc if you have been using the climate control in auto function you can switch to manual control and see if that helps to reduce any further problems. First and most important is to properly clean the windows from both sides.
Then you can set your climate control to your desired temperature, air intake from outside, air stream towards windscreen and feet, speed fan as preferred. AC as per your preference too. Constant air flow towards windscreen helps prevent any gases, moisture, particles and anything that can stick on it. 👍

FF00ADD3-E6CE-48C8-9898-88B3C402A5BB.jpeg

• Like 3

Yep, towel across the dash to catch drips, dampen microfibre cloth with hot soapy water, apply to inside (same for outside) making sure you get everywhere, then using  rubber blade (195mm) with window cleaner style movements clean the window. Use a dry microfibre cloth to polish up.        The blade I use has an extendable handle 195mm-750mm) meaning I can swipe a large area of the exterior windscreen from one side.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Just tried the Alcohol Isopropyl 99.9% method and what a disaster all looked well until the first night time drive and it was all smeared. I have gone back to my favourite method of mildly soapy water and a squeezy nice and smear free 😁

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, ICF said:

all looked well until the first night time drive and it was all smeared.

Sound like you didn't clean it off properly it worked fine on mine.

• Like 2

Best window cleaning is with pure water and two cloths method: 

Work on 50/50 , start with passenger side from middle of the windscreen under the rear view mirror wipe the whole half and then dry with clean dry microfibre towel. Go to the driver side and repeat the same. For each new area of cleaning use new side fold of the towel. Job done. Make sure windscreen is dry before you shut the doors. Work away from direct sunlight. 

• Like 2

I found the isopropyl on its own wasn't great as you have to wipe it down multiple times; Soapy water does a better job of cleaning off the chemical film, then isopropyl to clean off smears, residue and anything else remaining worked well for me.

But... I've also discovered windscreen wash is extremely effective! I don't know why I didn't think of that before - Seems blindingly obvious in hindsight given it's literally for cleaning the windscreen! It's practically a mix of soapy water and alcohol!!

Mine is still getting a bit of chemical film on the inside (Seriously how long does the windscreen glue take to stop off-gassing??) and at low sun angles you can see that rainbow effect of it on the windscreen. I sprayed a windscreen jet onto the cloth I keep in the car and used it to wipe the inside and it did a really good job, no smearing and no residue!

I'm just going to keep a bottle of that in the car for such cleaning purposes, and so I can refill the car's minuscule washer bottle when I inadvertently use it all up again :laugh: 

• Like 2

My windscreen and windows are sparkling inside and out using rubbing alcohol and a good quality microfibre cloth.  No problems driving at night with no smears or streaks to be found on the glass.

• Like 4

I use a 1:10 ratio with water, spray a small amount onto a microfibre cloth and just keep wiping until the glass is clear.  I also used neat alcohol to remove rubber marks on the windscreen which worked really well but it required a little bit more elbow grease.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links