Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis 2010 Mk3. T27 auto apply handbrake?

ToNo10

Hi, can anybody tell me if this model and year has the ‘auto apply’ handbrake feature? If so how is it initialised?

It is a 145hp 1.8 petrol version.

thank you.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ToNo10 said:

Hi, can anybody tell me if this model and year has the ‘auto apply’ handbrake feature? If so how is it initialised?

It is a 145hp 1.8 petrol version.

thank you.

only auto apply handbreak when the car is switched off and when you want to pull away. my friends vw golf his is a  hill assist handbreak when it comes on by itself and goes off as he pull away from the hill . my 2014 dont have hill assist .tbh i hate the  epb setup the one thing i hate of toyota bring back the good old pull hanb break less **** to go wrong also 

• Like 2

I echo what @2009joe said. I have my 2011 avensis for 4 years and am still unsure as to when the auto release works or doesn't. I jnow it's sometime after i start it and want to pull away, but I'm not sure of the combination. I rarely use the handbrake in traffic and try to avoid on hills if at all possible. The early epb brakes on the avensis were poor compared to other makes, e.g., vw. I rented a 161 avensis with bmw engine in 2019 on holiday and instantly noticed how much better and more intelligent the epb seemed to work. In fact the early avensis like mine are even dangerous as it will allow me to disengage without having to touch the clutch or having my foot on the brake when the car is idling and in neutral - it will just rolling away. Hence, don't ever let the kids in there while running and nipping in somewhere or to the boot.

• Like 1

Thank you both, this feature seems like a bit of a mystery?

if anybody knows how to deploy this feature or how to tell if it’s even on my car I would be grateful. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

35 minutes ago, ToNo10 said:

Thank you both, this feature seems like a bit of a mystery?

if anybody knows how to deploy this feature or how to tell if it’s even on my car I would be grateful. 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I have the 1.8 Valvematic Tourer TR manual spec, and was surprised the parking brake was auto release only, when my brothers Renault Grand Scenic is auto release and apply. From the next facelift onwards, the Avensis got fully auto parking brake. From what I know (unless someone knows otherwise), it is not possible to make the release only parking brake fully auto. It would take some major wiring and component change, like the parking brake ECU, probably from a donor car. It may not work after that!

From your original question and the one above, is your parking brake not auto releasing and are there any warning lights?

I have had my parking brake auto release feature disabled twice - first time was when the gear position sensor was not securely connected after a clutch replacement. The thing is, the warnings and fault codes were removed without restoring auto release until the sensor was reconnected! The second by me when I used a diagnostic device that wrongly wiped the settings, not reset the parking brake. I mange to fix the problem using Techstream. 

Also look at this - 

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/profile/76861-konrad-c/content/page/27/?type=forums_topic_post

I hope this has given you some direction. 

Edited by Konrad C
Additional info

Thanks for the info, I have had the car ten years, bought from a main dealer. At hand over they just said ‘electric parking brake, same button for on and off’.   But couple of days ago watched abYoutube video where the bloke has a T27 and referred to the ‘auto apply’ handbrake feature.  

13 minutes ago, ToNo10 said:

Thanks for the info, I have had the car ten years, bought from a main dealer. At hand over they just said ‘electric parking brake, same button for on and off’.   But couple of days ago watched abYoutube video where the bloke has a T27 and referred to the ‘auto apply’ handbrake feature.  

When I first got my Avensis back in 2015, I already knew about the auto release, but as I said previously, had to use the button to apply the parking brake. At the time I was also using my old Mk1 Avensis with conventional handbrake, so I once forgot apply the parking brake on my T27 and it gently started rolling as I was about to get out. There was a lamp post right behind the car, which was gently bumped into. I had to restart the car and move it forward. 😂 

Many thanks, I wonder if there are any other features which Toyota didn’t highlight?

11 hours ago, Jim-p said:

I echo what @2009joe said. I have my 2011 avensis for 4 years and am still unsure as to when the auto release works or doesn't. I jnow it's sometime after i start it and want to pull away, but I'm not sure of the combination. I rarely use the handbrake in traffic and try to avoid on hills if at all possible. The early epb brakes on the avensis were poor compared to other makes, e.g., vw. I rented a 161 avensis with bmw engine in 2019 on holiday and instantly noticed how much better and more intelligent the epb seemed to work. In fact the early avensis like mine are even dangerous as it will allow me to disengage without having to touch the clutch or having my foot on the brake when the car is idling and in neutral - it will just rolling away. Hence, don't ever let the kids in there while running and nipping in somewhere or to the boot.

tbh as you say the vw eph is better with the auto hill start handbreak on it . my handbreak comeson when i turn off my car and goes off when i put the clutch down car in gear and give it a wee rev nearly pulling away it goes off then but when comes to a steep hill i dometimes put on handbreak myself and soon as i see the road is clear then i will rev the car a bit and pull away a bit and the handbreak goes off .

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 8:55 AM, ToNo10 said:

Many thanks, I wonder if there are any other features which Toyota didn’t highlight?

If you own a later revisions of the T27 Avensis, the parking brake became full auto engage and release. Then hill start assist was made available for the final facelift. A lot of other features were added over time with each revision or facelift. You can find out by downloading the owner manuals covering each of the model years from 2011 onwards. Also if available download the various sales brochures. 

Toyota tend to not have features found in other brands. For example the first Mk1 T22 pre-facelift did not have deadlocking. I had a '93 Vauxhall Cavalier with deadlocking and auto close windows when locking the car. My then '98 Avensis GLS didn't have these features, even though it was a higher spec car. Then they add them on later facelifts/revisions.
For me, I was disappointed the original '58 plate T27 TR (non nav) my current car, did not have USB and the bluetooth only supported basic voice calls, not music. It did support voice navigation from certain phones. I added a Bluetooth/USB adapter via the CD changer socket, that gave me the full missing functions I wanted, all controlled via the steering controls.

There are cars with nice features, but I would not want to own them, because of reliability, practical or running costs.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Konrad C said:

If you own a later revisions of the T27 Avensis, the parking brake became full auto engage and release. Then hill start assist was made available for the final facelift. A lot of other features were added over time with each revision or facelift. You can find out by downloading the owner manuals covering each of the model years from 2011 onwards. Also if available download the various sales brochures. 

Toyota tend to not have features found in other brands. For example the first Mk1 T22 pre-facelift did not have deadlocking. I had a '93 Vauxhall Cavalier with deadlocking and auto close windows when locking the car. My then '98 Avensis GLS didn't have these features, even though it was a higher spec car. Then they add them on later facelifts/revisions.
For me, I was disappointed the original '58 plate T27 TR (non nav) my current car, did not have USB and the Bluetooth only supported basic voice calls, not music. It did support voice navigation from certain phones. I added a Bluetooth/USB adapter via the CD changer socket, that gave me the full missing functions I wanted, all controlled via the steering controls.

There are cars with nice features, but I would not want to own them, because of reliability, practical or running costs.  

true my older 04 seat i had tbh was well  speced with folding wing mirrors etc .my 2014 dont have folding wing mirrors lol 

On 12/22/2022 at 5:58 PM, 2009joe said:

tbh as you say the vw eph is better with the auto hill start handbreak on it . my handbreak comeson when i turn off my car and goes off when i put the clutch down car in gear and give it a wee rev nearly pulling away it goes off then but when comes to a steep hill i dometimes put on handbreak myself and soon as i see the road is clear then i will rev the car a bit and pull away a bit and the handbreak goes off .

Oddly, 2 days ago we were on a steep hill and my wife, who was driving, manually applied the handbrake, then it auto released when she pulled away just as you said @2009joe. I never knew it could do that, after 4 years of driving it 🙄!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim-p said:

Oddly, 2 days ago we were on a steep hill and my wife, who was driving, manually applied the handbrake, then it auto released when she pulled away just as you said @2009joe. I never knew it could do that, after 4 years of driving it 🙄!

aye auto handbreak comes on when you turn car off and auto come off handbreak comes off when you are ready to pull away put down the clutch give it a few wee revs and let up slowly as you do . from when you apply the handbreak or pulling away from when it was started. tbh i hate the design of the !Removed! epb it sucks and well on the toyota avensis left hand side of the steering wheel its no good either even if was like the vw cars have the eph even on center console would be handy 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links