Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

AA Solar Charger

BigRedSwitch

I've just installed the 4.8W version of the AA solar charger to keep my new Battery if fine fettle. It's much bigger than I expected!  All the better to capture the sunlight I guess.

The output lead from the charger has a junction block that allows you to plug in extension cables either using the OBD2 or directly using crocodile clips onto the Battery

I'm taking the solar charge via the OBD2 socket. The charger's instruction say " Do not leave the EOBD connected whilst driving." - EOBD is an earlier term for OBD2, I think. Anyway, I found it a bit of a hassle fitting the charger's OBD2 cable into the OBD2 socket without getting out of the car and kneeling down to see what I'm doing - not very practical at all. 

Phew! Now here's my question: Can I disconnect the OBD2 cable at the junction block leaving it connected to the car's OBD2 socket and safely drive the car?  Obviously, I would remove the charger from ther dashboard (where it will live) and stow it in the boot, and similarly, isolate and secure the ODB2 cable to prevent it shorting. 

This will make life so much easier! What do you think?

• Like 1

I've just got the same charger for Xmas!! Great idea, will have a look later when festivities calm down, sounds like it will make life easier.

Merry Xmas everyone🎄🎅🍻

You can do that but remember any device left connected to the obd 2 port may reduce your Battery life after the car been switched off. Therefore the best practice will be to disconnect the plug from the obd 2 port as explained in the manual. This solar charger looks very good one indeed, I had returned mine simply because it was too large to my likes and I actually don’t need one. 

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

You can do that but remember any device left connected to the obd 2 port may reduce your battery life after the car been switched off. Therefore the best practice will be to disconnect the plug from the obd 2 port as explained in the manual. 

Tony, if I disconnect the plug from the OBD2 port after the car has been switched off then I wouldn't have a charger - just an expensive ornament!

I think Tony meant that just leaving the lead connected to the port without it being plugged into the charger may drain the Battery over time.

• Like 1

Ah yes, I see!  Sorry, Tony.

I'm someone who tends to make infrequent use of the car and then usually for short trips so I would expect to use the charger whenever the car is parked up.  Consider the "black boxes" that some insurance companies mandate for their customers - they're installed 24/7 and surely they don't affect the Battery?

I've decided how I'm going to isolate the ODB2 cable when the car is in use. The charger came with another cable terminating in a cigarette lighter plug - I'm going to snip off the last 2 or 3 inches from it leaving me with the end that plugs into the junction box. I will seal the cut-end of this short cable by gluing it into a short plastic tube. As the terminal is the same as that on the OBD2 cable they will plug into each other nicely and insulate the terminals.

Well, that's the theory...

Yeap. That’s exactly what I meant to say. I know some people had flat Battery because they left an obd 2 adapter plugged into the obd 2 port for few days without been using the car. Perhaps because there is a bluetooth chip inside that maybe uses some power. The charger obd connector it’s just a plug so it might be ok to be left connected and disconnected on the other end from the solar panel without causing any Battery drain. You can test it with voltmeter just to be on the safe side 👍

The only AA 4.8W solar panel kit I have seen has nothing inside the ODB2 plug that would discharge a Battery if left connected (I now this because I had opened it up to check) so your good to go. The interesting thing with the AA ODB2 plug is that the male part of the SAE connector on the other end is the +12V while the insulated female part is ground so while there are many ways to deal with it your unique plan is a good one.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links