Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is the Yaris suitable?

bobcat

15 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

And can you remember on some of the older Fords and might have been on some others too, the click button on the floor to dip headlights?

A bit like this!

dipswitch1.jpg

2 hours ago, Jimota said:

The Vauxhall Victor was another with the 3 geared column change.

…..and a front bench seat.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

And can you remember on some of the older Fords and might have been on some others too, the click button on the floor to dip headlights?

When I was very young, 7 or 8 I think, I'd be standing in the middle behind the bench front seat watching ahead and I could not work out how my dad was making the headlight beams change at night. 🤔

I could have asked I suppose, but from other things I remember from then it seems I just wasn't that kind of child.

I have a feeling that car might have been a Hillman Minx as mentioned earlier by someone. We definitely had one when I was young, but I'm not sure of the chronology back then. (This was late 50's)

• Like 1

Manual gearboxes need ridding asap.   It’s people’s inability to use them that’s the problem and chasing about with the engine howling is standard practice these days.  It seems that Ford Transits only have first and second as they go up to 40mph according to Amazon drivers.  The sooner we take the weak link out of the equation, the sooner we see the benefits of low emission engines.

• Like 3

Going completely off topic, and with tongue in cheek, I once had an old Moskvitch car which came complete with a starting handle.  I wonder if the boffins could come up with an e-starting handle to deal with the Battery isssues on hybrid cars. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

That was the worst £25 I ever spent on a car.  It never went but the starting handle procedure built up my arm muscles.

• Like 1

Dad's old Morris Minor had a crank handle.  I learnt a lot of swear words listening to Dad trying to start the car. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Jimota said:

Going completely off topic, and with tongue in cheek, I once had an old Moskvitch car which came complete with a starting handle.  I wonder if the boffins could come up with an e-starting handle to deal with the battery isssues on hybrid cars. 😉

Use of such ignition magnetos for ignition is now limited mainly to engines without a low-voltage electrical system, such as lawnmowers and chainsaws, and to aircraft engines, in which keeping the ignition independent of the rest of the electrical system ensures that the engine continues running in the event of alternator or Battery failure.

33 minutes ago, Jimota said:

an e-starting handle to deal with the battery isssues on hybrid cars.

BEVs can have the same problems.

I've often wondered if being able to manually close the main Battery contactor could overcome it. But of course idiots with knackered 12V batteries would then try to jam it closed, like putting a nail in a fuse holder, and there'd be bigger problems ...

• Like 1

We have our 2003 Yaris D4D manual which we bought in 2005 and our 2012 1.4CVT Auto Honda Jazz bought in 2012

I drive the Jazz: far easier in traffic especially slow moving, Far easier to park. Far less stressful.I occasionally drive the Yaris which as Cyker says goes very well. But it is harder work to drive

Both have been very reliable although the Yaris has had minor age related failures: glowplugs, heater resistor and drivers side window mechanism (Nothing expensive as I diy and buy much s/h.)

Jazz is more practical : takes 4 beehives with bees , Yaris only 2. Jazz magic seats make loads easy.

At present electricity costs, pure EVs cost more to run than petrol cars!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Madasafish said:

At present electricity costs, pure EVs cost more to run than petrol cars!

Only if you have to use public charging, especially rapid. If you can charge at home using an overnight tariff of, say, 7.5p per kWh, EVs are much, much cheaper to run both in pennies per km and VED

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimota said:

The Vauxhall Victor was another with the 3 geared column change.

You were lucky! My first car were a Citroen with push-pull gear change and 602cc that couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudden. Had to go 10/10ths everywhere or spend ages winding it all back up again.

• Like 1

Talking of old cars this is what I learned to drive on and was super fun image.thumb.jpeg.015e5a7d8373df237771696787405a1d.jpeg

also been trying trabant 601 and moskvich 402 , those were  eastern equivalents perhaps on the cars you are talking about from older times. Not been a hybrid automatic transmission driver all my life 😂👍
https://www.classic-trader.com/uk/cars/listing/trabant/601/601/1965/299295

• Like 1

I learnt to drive in an A55 Austin Cambridge, complete with column gear change and umbrella type hand brake. Quite a challenge at that time!

7 hours ago, newagetraveller said:

A bit like this!

dipswitch1.jpg

My mates Triumph Herald had one of those.

ttttttture.thumb.JPG.2c844449b1d8cd0ed8d6696af00c4ba3.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

Dad's old Morris Minor had a crank handle.  I learnt a lot of swear words listening to Dad trying to start the car. 😆

Our Austin Cambridge had a starter handle, i don't think it was ever used.

This is not ours but you can se the hole above the number plate where the handle would go - 

ccccJPG.thumb.JPG.3998b56ed5a45cef03aa5661bc6700b3.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, newagetraveller said:

A bit like this!

dipswitch1.jpg

Aye, they're the ones.

They had a very positive action, either on or off, no shilly shally.

Is that a Ford 100e ?

While everyone has been having a good chat Bob has not come back with his thoughts yet, it'll be interesting to hear his take. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

While everyone has been having a good chat Bob has not come back with his thoughts yet, it'll be interesting to hear his take. 

Indeed, 

it would be probably the moskvich or the Austin 😂

Just Joking 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

The good old days...when you spent more time under it, than in it !!

28 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Our Austin Cambridge had a starter handle, i don't think it was ever used.

This is not ours but you can se the hole above the number plate where the handle would go - 

ccccJPG.thumb.JPG.3998b56ed5a45cef03aa5661bc6700b3.JPG

It was the model before that shape, similar to the A50.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bob66 said:

The good old days...when you spent more time under it, than in it !!

Maybe some silly, pathetic,old men like talking about the good old days.

The bit about live and let live though, in your other post shines through as a perfect example of an oxymoron.

I don't know if someone on here has upset or offended you in some way, but I find it very friendly on here, and enjoy chatting about old times and motors.

And the wealth of knowledge and experience on here is a valuable resource for many owners of both older and newer cars.

One thing about being old though,is perhaps gaining some manners, and not insulting those who have different life experiences.

• Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

My mates Triumph Herald had one of those.

ttttttture.thumb.JPG.2c844449b1d8cd0ed8d6696af00c4ba3.JPG

I think I’m right in saying that the Austin 1100 also had the foot switch.

My mk3 Cortina had the washer squirter and intermittent wiper control on the floor, than was fun 😂

• Like 1

I think that you are right too Jimota , though memory fades a bit.

Not bad cars really, considering they were from the 70s Leyland stable.

Was the distributor a bit higher up than on the mini ? I can't remember them drowning out as much going through a puddle.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links