Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Locking Doors????

Mrs Scoobington

11 minutes ago, jthspace said:

If my partner drives the car on her own then I'll feel better knowing that she is safe(r) in a locked car than not.

I get that and they provide a  button to do that what i dont get is why someone would buy an extra box to do it automatically every time you get in the car just in case someone decides to try to rob them surely that's overkill,  i dont know anyone who has ever had their car door opened by a robber in my 40+ years of driving.

Each to their own....

My partner is in her 70's and just wants to get into the car, and go where she's going. She won't select B or use any of the other "electronic do-dahs", just wants to go from "here-to-there", drops her handbag on the passenger seat and off.

In my 55 years of driving I've never been robbed from a moving car either, but I'll feel safer knowing she's as safe as possible.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jthspace said:

Each to their own....

My partner is in her 70's and just wants to get into the car, and go where she's going. She won't select B or use any of the other "electronic do-dahs", just wants to go from "here-to-there", drops her handbag on the passenger seat and off.

In my 55 years of driving I've never been robbed from a moving car either, but I'll feel safer knowing she's as safe as possible.

My worry would be as its not a Toyota part would you be able to open the doors if it failed especially in a crash?

40 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

My worry would be as its not a Toyota part would you be able to open the doors if it failed especially in a crash?

OK, for the record

With Manual door lock (throw lock knob) - open with internal door handle, unlocks

With Door Lock button (lock all doors) - open with internal door handle, unlocks

With Auto Lock on D (locks all doors) - open with internal door handle, unlocks

Whatever way you lock the door (Manual, Lock Button or Auto Lock) doors can be opened from the inside by pulling a handle.

If you were in an accident and your doors were locked from the inside BY ANY METHOD, then someone outside the vehicle trying to open the doors would need to break the glass.  Auto-locking the doors does not in itself make it any more or less accessible in an accident.

In fact, it's probably a safer option to have Auto-locking doors as the doors will auto-unlock under emergency deceleration. 

I believe auto locking doors are standard on all Mercedes vehicles supplied in the UK ( certainly was on the A class & C class models )

If enough Toyota customers requested this maybe it would be something to be considered as a standard option.

2 hours ago, Max_Headroom said:

I get that and they provide a  button to do that what i dont get is why someone would buy an extra box to do it automatically every time you get in the car just in case someone decides to try to rob them surely that's overkill,  i dont know anyone who has ever had their car door opened by a robber in my 40+ years of driving.

Auto locking is not uncommon on cars and even further up the Toyota range.  If someone feels better with Their doors locked it’s up to them.  I drive right into the centre of Manchester through very deprived areas with very dodgy people at all hours and I want my doors locked whether you think it’s necessary or not.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

I want my doors locked whether you think it’s necessary or not.  

I get that some may want to have their doors locked when driving through "dodgy areas"  what i am saying is the option is already there they dont need to fit a box that is not made by Toyota to do this, this box could also cause problems in a crash situation or if it malfunctions leaving people trapped in the car.

• Like 2

i dont know anyone who has ever had their car door opened by a robber in my 40+ years of driving.

Neither do I Max, but I have posted before, can't find it now, about when I had just come out of the Bank , when there were still any branches you could park near

I was parked right outside the door, fiddling around with my paid bills, and cash I had just withdrawn.

Some idiot pulled open the passenger door and got in.

This complete moron had somehow mistaken my bright red lexus for a green Renault 50ft away.

So not a robber, just a common or garden idiot, but easily could have been, and that is what I thought was happening.

But I totally get what you are saying about the manual lock button, which I now use every time I get in the car,a bit paranoid after that experience, and more vulnerable now.

I would not like auto locking though,or auto wipers, or auto lights, I like things under my control, not when a car decides,or an add on box.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jthspace said:

In fact, it's probably a safer option to have Auto-locking doors as the doors will auto-unlock under emergency deceleration.

I thought automatic door unlock was standard in all cars (with power locking) these days, regardless of having an auto-lock feature.

Though thinking on it, the only car of mine I know for sure had it was a US import which mentioned it in the manual, so perhaps it hasn't got to Europe yet. (That was a 2008 car, so not recent.)

• Like 1

The only Toyota anyone in our family has had that had auto-locking doors is my dad's Verso

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cyker said:

The only Toyota anyone in our family has had that had auto-locking doors is my dad's Verso

My dad had a beat up Austin A55.  It had doors.  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MikeSh said:

I thought automatic door unlock was standard in all cars (with power locking) these days, regardless of having an auto-lock feature.

Though thinking on it, the only car of mine I know for sure had it was a US import which mentioned it in the manual, so perhaps it hasn't got to Europe yet. (That was a 2008 car, so not recent.)

It does Auto Unlock, what Max is alluding to is that this gadget might override it.  I’ve had these drive away locking modules off Ali Express but I couldn’t say how they behave in an accident - thankfully.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jthspace said:

Handbag theft from passenger seats at traffic lights etc isn't that unusual, as most cars unlock all four doors when unlocking. If you could do one press to unlock driver door and two presses to unlock all doors then I wouldn't probably have bothered.  If my partner drives the car on her own then I'll feel better knowing that she is safe(r) in a locked car than not.

I can unlock just the driver's door by using the key in the handle. Using the remote unlocks all the doors.

Gave the missus a fright one day when she was coming to pick me up. I saw her in a queue of traffic, walked up, opened the passenger door and got in. She now locks the doors when driving!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

I can unlock just the driver's door by using the key in the handle. Using the remote unlocks all the doors.

If I do that (open with key) the alarm goes off.  I believe the dealer can change that, I'll enquire at the next service.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jthspace said:

If I do that (open with key) the alarm goes off.  I believe the dealer can change that, I'll enquire at the next service.

Leave it Jeff.  You know it happens, a thief doesn’t.   You just put the ignition on or press the fob to stop it.  

• Like 3

On 9/29/2023 at 7:47 PM, MikeSh said:

US market cars had auto lock from about 1985 onwards. It’s a very common feature on EU market cars. I was staggered that my Yaris IV doesn’t have it. My 2006 CLIO III had it, and it was a very basic trim level. All the rental cars I’ve had from, say, 2000 on have had it. Although the few Yaris I had, I don’t truly recall. It seems so common. So why not Toyota. They have to have it for the US market.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links