Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Locking Doors????

Mrs Scoobington

My last car Skoda Yeti had this feature also wife’s 13 plate Kia Picanto has it fitted I prefer to have it as I always forget to do it.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 9:15 PM, Cyker said:

I don't I've seen it on any Toyota, with one exception - Bizarrely, my dad's 2013 Verso has this function!! It is a bit annoying as I always forget and mash my arm into the door as it stays resolutely shut when I pull on the unlock handle :laugh: 

His previous 2005 Verso didn't tho'.

The Toyota Proace does, but you did say "Toyota" and not "Citroen" or "Peugeot" so yeah 😄 

• Haha 1

every time I jump in my car, the very first thing I do is lock the door.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, isnsiie said:

It's what I would like to do......about 90% of the time I forget to do it 🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Me too. In my dad's Verso I have the opposite problem - I forget it's on and try to open a locked door :laugh: 

2 hours ago, isnsiie said:

I do that too, maybe I am a bit paranoid about all the feral life roaming the streets.

But I have had various idiots and crim types pulling open a door before I started doing this.

I also have a good look around for a few minutes when I pull up somewhere before unlocking and going about my business.

You can tell a lot from body language to assess threat, also appearance.

Even with my three stripe Adidas, filthy white trainers, and shaven head with misspelled tattoos on it, I don't feel safe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

21 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

I do that too, maybe I am a bit paranoid about all the feral life roaming the streets.

But I have had various idiots and crim types pulling open a door before I started doing this.

I also have a good look around for a few minutes when I pull up somewhere before unlocking and going about my business.

You can tell a lot from body language to assess threat, also appearance.

Even with my three stripe Adidas, filthy white trainers, and shaven head with misspelled tattoos on it, I don't feel safe.

Mate......you strayed into the wrong yard.....we have a 'Tick' round ere. 

• Haha 3

Is that Reebok?

Or the sort of ticks that transmit Lyme disease 🪰 , and does sports clothing keep them out?

• Haha 3

Sod the EUSSR!

I lock my doors as soon as I get in. I hardly see the point of banning auto-lock. Communists want to be sure they can get you I guess? They want to defund the Police, after all.

4 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Is that Reebok?

Or the sort of ticks that transmit Lyme disease 🪰 , and does sports clothing keep them out?

The sort of "tick" I would like makes sudden large noises unexpectedly.

They’re not banned.  Loads of cars including Toyota and Lexus do it.  Incidentally, they will auto unlock in the event of an accident even if you manually locked it so hopefully you won’t get robbed waiting for the ambulance - you could be there a while!

• Like 5

By the way, if you can manually lock all doors pressing a key, door must unlock automatically in case of accident.  So I don't understand why on many models there's no an autolock function.  Obviously the user must be free to enable or disable it whitout the need of an OBD adapter. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Do a search on Aliexpress for a OBD Speed Lock and see if theres one available.  I had one fitted ro my Rav4 for years without any faults, if you get the right one, it will also automatically put your hazards on when in reverse.

I've been unsuccessful finding one for my Aygo X (Cross)...so far, but I expect one will become available eventually. 

4 hours ago, 152bobby said:

Do a search on Aliexpress for a OBD Speed Lock and see if theres one available.  I had one fitted ro my Rav4 for years without any faults, if you get the right one, it will also automatically put your hazards on when in reverse.

I've been unsuccessful finding one for my Aygo X (Cross)...so far, but I expect one will become available eventually. 

I've only found a Corola one, didn't work on the Yaris (but hazards did). Now with a Corola owner. 

I was going to try the one I've still kept from my Rav in my Aygo X, but I worried it may do damage of some kind 🤣

On 8/7/2023 at 9:23 AM, anchorman said:

Incidentally, they will auto unlock in the event of an accident even

I had a brush accident with another car.  The door locked after the collision:)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

The one I had just plugged into the OBD port.

Not sure this one would fit the Aygo X.

3 hours ago, isnsiie said:

I got this little box, installation is easy under the steering wheel. I set to auto lock when shift to D and auto unlock when engine switched off.

Couldn't get it to accept a UK address, however it is available on Amazon Japan for the same price, plus shipping.  Came to £64 all in.

AMAZON JAPAN

• Like 2

I've emailed them and asked if it's Aygo X compatible.

I also tried the address option, didn't work 😕

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2023 at 2:31 PM, isnsiie said:

I got this little box, installation is easy under the steering wheel. I set to auto lock when shift to D and auto unlock when engine switched off.

https://enlargecorp.co.jp/products/detail/1223

IMG_3813.thumb.jpeg.c87c95a5a2889de3e17bc99bffd581fd.jpeg

I bought this from Amazon Japan, as above link, and it arrived in a few days. Installation was a breeze, 3 screws and a tug on the lower cowl Shell and a quick plug and play.  

I also set mine to lock when in D and unlock when in P.  Tested and working. You can set it to lock at 15kph and unlock on engine off if preferred.

It also unlocks under heavy emergency braking.

I disabled the setting that flashes the hazard lights when unlocking, very un-British 🤣

Instructions were in Japanese with easy to follow pictures but a link is provided to a YouTube instruction video.

If you want to see some Japlish instructions, use Google Translate on your phone in camera setting.

Recommended and many thanks to isnsiie for the link.

• Like 1

What a depressing thread *are things really that bad where you live?

*the ones that lock every time

I have never locked my doors when in the car even when i have visited other towns and cities i have never felt the need and have never had my door opened by the scum some here have mentioned.

I've been thru some places in the UK with the top down on my MX5 and felt really uneasy, enough that I've put the top up as soon as possible.  I've also manually locked the Yaris and MX5 when driving in city centres.

Handbag theft from passenger seats at traffic lights etc isn't that unusual, as most cars unlock all four doors when unlocking. If you could do one press to unlock driver door and two presses to unlock all doors then I wouldn't probably have bothered.  If my partner drives the car on her own then I'll feel better knowing that she is safe(r) in a locked car than not.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jthspace said:

I bought this from Amazon Japan, as above link, and it arrived in a few days. Installation was a breeze, 3 screws and a tug on the lower cowl shell and a quick plug and play.  

I also set mine to lock when in D and unlock when in P.  Tested and working. You can set it to lock at 15kph and unlock on engine off if preferred.

It also unlocks under heavy emergency braking.

I disabled the setting that flashes the hazard lights when unlocking, very un-British 🤣

Instructions were in Japanese with easy to follow pictures but a link is provided to a YouTube instruction video.

If you want to see some Japlish instructions, use Google Translate on your phone in camera setting.

Recommended and many thanks to isnsiie for the link.

No mention of it being compatible with the new Toyota Aygo X and theres no way of contacting them to ask !!

18 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

No mention of it being compatible with the new Toyota Aygo X and theres no way of contacting them to ask !!

The unit I got was advertised for Yaris but the instructions were for "Sienta 2022 and other Toyota models".  I can confirm its OK on a Yaris.  As its Amazon, there is always the possibility of sending it back but not sure how to to Japan.  If you bought one and it didn't work for you, then I'm pretty sure someone on here with a Yaris or Yaris Cross would take it off your hands.  Instructions show a setting for petrol cars/manuals by the way.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links