Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cost of living crisis worry.

Hybrid21

I remember the late 70's when mortgage interest rates went to around 16% along with the various strikes, etc 

It was concerning,  but did not seem to worry me as much as the cost of living situation now 🤔

Do you think that as you get older you worry more about these things ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hybrid21 said:

Do you think that as you get older you worry more about these things ?

Nope, I’m not going to worry about things that I can’t change or have control over.

• Like 4

Think unlike the 70's (strikes, 3 day week, etc), the current cost of living issues affect more people across a wider spectrum of society - not only mortgage payers, but also tenants, pensioners, etc.

Then again, as already said, although there may be ways to reduce effects on one's personal circumstances, a lot is outside of your control. 

We've been through the worst (?) of Covid which had more of an effect on household supplies, people's freedom, and so on, so hopefully things can only get better.

• Like 7

Unfortunately, for many they have already reduced their outgoings but are unable to meet the cost of bills, food, energy, mortgages, petrol etc., As the fifth largest economy in the world, we have people who's only choice is heat or eat. 

Why are the government so hell bent in helping other countries and all inclusive long term hotel occupants with no empathy or consequence for the people of this country?

Politicians are supposed to be doing the bidding of the people of this country who vote them in and not virtual signal on policies that they want.

Why are they always announcing plenty of money available for overseas issues in the name of humanitarian aid but not for our own people?

We have to see changes in our political system and the those we vote in who will not only reflect the needs of the people but also how they spend our hard earnt tax payers money.

• Like 2

Although I'm not struggling, had to cut down on outgoings. It's a hard time for a lot of people. 

• Like 2

I agree. It's a harrd time for a lot of people. At the moment we're all in the same boat.

• Like 2

I am not going to defend overseas aid as I know much does not arrive at the point of need.  Import duties are levied which neatly diverts money to the Government. 

Sending aid to nuclear powers that have their own space program suggests buying influence rather than humanitarian relief. 

My own organisation, recognised by the UN, suspended aid to India as the audit trails were 'unclear'. 

However while £100 million is a huge amount, it is less than £2/head or say £5/household. 

• Like 3

I mentioned yesterday a 9p/l price difference between Shell fuel prices about 15 miles apart. Someone is raking it in with a 6% mark up (well tax take is a chunk too). Too far to go just for fuel. 

Only yesterday was another instance of profiting. The cost of Eccles Cakes has gone up in several supermarkets 'due to food price increases'.  !Removed! says the Eccles Cake Company, who supply all the supermarkets, we have not increased prices. 

Lots of food products come from single companies and are simply branded before despatch. OK, some might be from the same sauce (sic) but different formation. 

Once, in a Coop, they were selling Maple Syrup.  Two products, identical in every way except for the label.  Both were bottled at the same Canadian plant - different prices. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2023 at 2:15 PM, Stivino said:

Nope, I’m not going to worry about things that I can’t change or have control over.

+1

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links