Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre pressure warning light on a 2021 UK Corolla

Malspen

My tyre pressure warning light in permanently on when the start button is on,  but I checked the pressures at a local garage about a week ago. None of the tyres look flat. Is there a way of recalibrating the system? Online info says it is in the handbook but I can't find anything. 

16 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Have a look under TPMS for the reset procedure.

There is a setting in the drivers display screen. If this doesn’t work you can often reset the whole system by driving at 50mph (or above) for 10mins 

36 minutes ago, Malspen said:

My tyre pressure warning light in permanently on when the start button is on,  but I checked the pressures at a local garage about a week ago. None of the tyres look flat. Is there a way of recalibrating the system? Online info says it is in the handbook but I can't find anything. 

I’ve never relied on looking at tyres, because different types of tyres will look different. A reliable accurate pressure gauge will tell you if it needs inflating or deflating. Look on the door b pillar and the proper pressure for front and rear tyres will be shown on most cars. I’ve had the light come on and one tyre was 2lb softer than it should. I blew it up to the correct pressure drove around for about fifty yards and the warning light disappeared.

• Like 3

Having suffered (Another) slow puncture a few weeks ago I have invested in one of the Aliexpress TPMS add-ons that let the dashboard show the individual tyre pressures. Fitted it today with no real issues. Works just great - and now I can very easily check my tyre pressures whenever I like - and it tells me which tyre has a problem - rather than just showing a pretty unhelpful orange symbol.   What I don’t understand is that all the data to show this is on the CAN bus, the existing dashboard is clearly configured to show it - however the feature is turned off until you add this little module.   Yet another very odd thing on this car. This is the one I purchased https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004304534628.html

• Like 4

My TPMS helpfully told me I'd lost pressure in a tyre the other day. I guessed it was the one that was flat and had a screw poking out of it 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

33 minutes ago, Obsidian Estate said:

My TPMS helpfully told me I'd lost pressure in a tyre the other day. I guessed it was the one that was flat and had a screw poking out of it 😆

That’s what the system is designed for, to let you know if any of the tyres got a puncture.
Easy fix though, just have some stripes. Most of the times No need to replace the tyre. 👌

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Obsidian Estate said:

Did the supplied 'gunge' work or did you have a spare?

27 minutes ago, 50p said:

Did the supplied 'gunge' work or did you have a spare?

I had the front pair replaced. Unfortunately it was too close to the shoulder to repair, so that kind of makes me glad I didn't waste the goop.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Obsidian Estate said:

Perfectly fine if it is fairly fast deflation as the state of the tyre (as in your case) is pretty obvious. Not so clever if it is a slow puncture on a dark, rainy night when you have a journey to complete and you can’t see easily see which tyre is causing the problem. 

• Like 2

I now started carrying a 12v tyre compressor in its box in the boot. When I got my latest (used) car with gunge in the spare wheel cavity, I bought a very good used Fabia 16” alloy wheel (same pattern) off flebay, fitted new tyre, put on the back of car and it’s wheel with 6mm tyre now acts as spare in the boot well. Alloy wheel cost £61 inc p&p, tool kit inc jack and styrene tool holder £28. I also carry a “gooey string” repair kit £6.

• Like 3

I have a free app called Tyre Assistant, carry a bluetooth OBD dongle in the glovebox so on dark rainy night can see all 4 tyres. Also a brass heavy 80 year old vintage tyre pump built to last forever unlike anything you can buy now! And it's lunacy not to carry a spare wheel of some sort 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

And it's lunacy not to carry a spare wheel of some sort 

Depends what roads you drive on I suppose. I've been driving for over 30 years and have never had a puncture. I'm glad I don't have a spare tyre in my Corolla because it would probably not leave enough room for all my golf gear.

• Haha 2

On 3/11/2023 at 12:15 AM, Corollanutter said:

What I don’t understand is that all the data to show this is on the CAN bus, the existing dashboard is clearly configured to show it - however the feature is turned off until you add this little module.   

The new 2023 Corolla displays all four tyre pressures on the dash. This enables you to see at a glance that the car has been delivered with its transit tyre pressures.

• Haha 4

Yup, mine certainly did! Unfortunately it was in BAR and I didn't realize how high 4.2 bar was until I figured out how to change the display to PSI! :eek: :laugh: 

21 hours ago, Corollanutter said:

Perfectly fine if it is fairly fast deflation as the state of the tyre (as in your case) is pretty obvious. Not so clever if it is a slow puncture on a dark, rainy night when you have a journey to complete and you can’t see easily see which tyre is causing the problem. 

That is one thing I like about the active system now that it displays per-wheel pressures; I'm pretty sure I have a slow puncture in my left rear as it's losing about a psi a week. Not enough for me to do anything about it, but it's nice having that early warning so I can top it up every now and then!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Depends what roads you drive on I suppose. I've been driving for over 30 years and have never had a puncture. I'm glad I don't have a spare tyre in my Corolla because it would probably not leave enough room for all my golf gear.

You do realise that you have now set yourself up for multiple punctures in the next few months?? 😀😀

• Haha 3

I've had 3 punctures in the last year, and 2 within weeks of each other a couple of years before that! I think I've got magnetic tyres that suck nails in from the other side of the road! I'd never have a car without a spare, the hassle would have been terrible, compared to a minor inconvenience of changing a wheel 

• Like 2

The spare tyres are great for when hit a pothole and damage the tyres side walls. I often get screws in too. The best solution for me has always been the stripes which would be temporary, however if properly done these repairs can last the lifetime of the tyre without any issues. 

• Like 3

I think I've said before that it's curious how some people get more punctures. I'm convinced there has to be a reason for it. I'm not aware of any of my friends or colleagues getting punctures either and based on the occasional car-related issues I hear about I think they'd have mentioned it. So I'm inclined to think it's area or road-type specific.

I live in a relatively rural area albeit surrounded by a good and sometimes busy road system (I'm only a couple of miles from the M40 and the A43 bypasses our town). The quality of the roads is pretty good and I've noticed recently that the potholes that have started appearing recently due to the cold weather are being repaired within a few days.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

Yup, mine certainly did! Unfortunately it was in BAR and I didn't realize how high 4.2 bar was until I figured out how to change the display to PSI! :eek: :laugh: 
…………………….

Without looking up a conversion I know that circa 64 psi, just a wee bit over what it should be 🤪

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2023 at 2:53 PM, Obsidian Estate said:

To be sure, you should check them all.  The sensor on the obvious one might not be working. 

Lol

31 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

I live in a relatively rural area albeit surrounded by a good and sometimes busy road system (I'm only a couple of miles from the M40 and the A43 bypasses our town). The quality of the roads is pretty good and I've noticed recently that the potholes that have started appearing recently due to the cold weather are being repaired within a few days.

Come on AndrueC, I remember what you said about Blisworth.  Have they fixed that too? 

I had one blowout from a pothole.  It buckled the rim.  No amount of gunk would have fixed that and I would have been marooned until a new wheel and tyre could be found. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Come on AndrueC, I remember what you said about Blisworth.  Have they fixed that too? 

I had one blowout from a pothole.  It buckled the rim.  No amount of gunk would have fixed that and I would have been marooned until a new wheel and tyre could be found. 

Yes I remember that but the tyre didn't lose pressure and anyway it seems to make my point.

Blissworth is not local to me - it's over half an hour's drive away up near Northampton and a small village off the beaten track at that. I've no idea how long that defect existed for but given the remote location it could well have taken longer to fix than such defects would on the roads I normally travel. I've only ever driven on that road a couple of times when coming back from the dealer and getting lost on the Northampton ring road. For some reason the car sat nav likes to take me back that route but I wouldn't do it by choice.

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

I think I've said before that it's curious how some people get more punctures. I'm convinced there has to be a reason for it. I'm not aware of any of my friends or colleagues getting punctures either and based on the occasional car-related issues I hear about I think they'd have mentioned it. So I'm inclined to think it's area or road-type specific.

Whereas we live on the edge of a quite industrial area - which probably explains why there are a lot of screws and nails on the roads! And needless to say, potholes everywhere. 

• Like 2

I used to take a shortcut through an industrial estate to get to work and had a spate of punctures. Decided to go the long way round and the punctures stopped. 

Also as a dog walker, but mainly on estate roads, the number of times I notice screws etc on the road when somebody has had some work done is significant.  I pick them up if they look useful or kick them down a drain.

There's definitely factors that increase risk but a lot of luck too IMHO.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links