Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Which Battery Charger?

dannyboy413

I have read numerous posts regarding Battery chargers, but am still not sure just what I require. I want a charger that will, if necessary, be able to charge/trickle charge the car Battery. At the moment I have the Corolla 1.8, but, should be (!), getting a Yaris Cross in a few weeks. I also require the charger to be capable of charging the lawnmower Battery. I will check tomorrow, but I believe that the lawnmower has a 12v 'normal' battery - it has electronic push button start. If any of you understood that lot, what charger would you recommend I get please? All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

For trickle charging I use bike mode on my CTEK 3.8 Amps charger.

If you are refering to a ride on lawnmower its probably a 12 volts at around 20Ah mark AGM or seald lead accid type.

• Like 1

David I have a cheap Lidl Battery charger for many years is used on a regular basis to charge the 12volt Battery on my wife’s 2015 Yaris 1ltr petrol, and regularly on a 12volt Battery I use on my vintage Farmall Cub. I recently bought a similar one in Aldi and have used it also very successful with both of them.

• Like 1

If it makes any difference to peoples opinions/advice, the lawnmower Battery is marked as 12v 5A/hour. The lawnmover is not a sit on version, (I wish 🙂), but it is self-propelled with electronic start.

4 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

f it makes any difference to peoples opinions/advice, the lawnmower battery is marked as 12v 5A/hour. The lawnmover is not a sit on version, (I wish 🙂), but it is celf-propelled with electronic start.

Doesn't really matter too much. Your lawnmower is essentially using a motorcycle Battery. Modern digital chargers can be adjusted or will auto-adjust to charge smaller batteries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

I have read numerous posts regarding battery chargers, but am still not sure just what I require. I want a charger that will, if necessary, be able to charge/trickle charge the car battery. At the moment I have the Corolla 1.8, but, should be (!), getting a Yaris Cross in a few weeks. I also require the charger to be capable of charging the lawnmower battery. I will check tomorrow, but I believe that the lawnmower has a 12v 'normal' battery - it has electronic push button start. If any of you understood that lot, what charger would you recommend I get please? All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

I use a CTEK MXS 5.0 for exactly this. Maintaining a stack of car batteries and the lawnmower over winter. It is always plugged in. After about eight days it switches over to long-term maintenance mode. So you never have to worry about forgetting to disconnect things. Just leave batteries to charge indefinitely.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am using the CTEK MSX 3.8 charger.

In bike mode 1.2 to 14Ah use this mode for your grass cutter 14.4v 0.8Amps

in car mode 14Ah to 130Ah used for car 14.4v 3.8Amps.

charge time to 80% for 2Ah Battery 2 Hours

charge time to 80% for 20Ah Battery 5 Hours

Hope this helps.

Both Aldi and Lidl have just recently gotten stock of their chargers in the last week or two, UK. They are both decent and should fit your needs quite well at £15, maybe a little extra in €.

I've had 2 cteks MXS 7.0 and both have failed, first whilst still in warranty and got replaced and then that failed out of warranty, at over a 100 quid I said stuff it and bought a Lidl and Aldi one and both are still going strong.

35 minutes ago, tfc said:

I've had 2 cteks MXS 7.0 and both have failed, first whilst still in warranty and got replaced and then that failed out of warranty, at over a 100 quid I said stuff it and bought a Lidl and Aldi one and both are still going strong.

I am not suppriced check you car manual for maxamium ampage as seven amps continuous seams high to me.

Size of Battery has nothing to do with them blowing, workshops have much powerful chargers 50 amps upwards for rapid charging and starting.

smart chargers like the ctek and the like never charge at full continuous ampage they only put in what is needed, it's a combination of voltage and amps at different stages of charge,  

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links