Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Talking about the yoke

TonyHSD

Hi all,

I know it’s not about bz4x but her sister Lexus and the first interesting video with good explanation how it works. 

I prefer the standard wheel but what are your personal thoughts and opinion. 

• Like 1

I can see the benifit of low speed parking against normal driving /motorway driving not sure why it needs tobe continuous verabl at all speeds.

Its also easy just to move the steering yoke across to the other side of the car at least for the MFG.

Moved to General Discussions.

I must admit I'm not a big fan of the idea of steering that changes while you drive it.

It took me a little while to get used to the faster rack and smaller wheel of the Mk4 (Initially I was steering too much and had to 'un-steer' to correct when going ground sharper corners), and the idea of that minor change happening all the time while I'm driving makes me feel I would just be fighting the yoke all the time.

At the end of the day, what problem does it solve? If it's a space/packaging thing, there was a joystick-based system that debuted on Tomorrows World literally decades ago which would solve that much better.

But it didn't really get off the ground as, while it did solve some problems, for its main purpose, i.e. steering the vehicle, a normal wheel was just better for its user feedback and intuitive use.

I feel it's a solution looking for a problem, from someone who's been watching Knight Rider a wee bit too much...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

I must admit I'm not a big fan of the idea of steering that changes while you drive it.

It took me a little while to get used to the faster rack and smaller wheel of the Mk4 (Initially I was steering too much and had to 'un-steer' to correct when going ground sharper corners), and the idea of that minor change happening all the time while I'm driving makes me feel I would just be fighting the yoke all the time.

At the end of the day, what problem does it solve? If it's a space/packaging thing, there was a joystick-based system that debuted on Tomorrows World literally decades ago which would solve that much better.

But it didn't really get off the ground as, while it did solve some problems, for its main purpose, i.e. steering the vehicle, a normal wheel was just better for its user feedback and intuitive use.

I feel it's a solution looking for a problem, from someone who's been watching Knight Rider a wee bit too much...

Here we are together on this 👍

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Jason got it a little bit wrong - this is not the first fly-by-wire steering on production cars, the Citroën SM, and later the CX, used Citroën's hydraulic DIRAVI steering in 1970. It used a mechanical rack and pinion only as backup in case of system failure.

I would not buy a car with a yoke.

2 hours ago, Yugguy1970 said:

I would not buy a car with a yoke.

Eggsactly!

• Haha 5

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links