Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Avensis 2.0d4d 2014 sluggish?

Waqs

Hi All,

I hope we are doing good!

I have recently purchased the above vehicle opposed to the lower year models I have had.

I have experienced occasionally, when I have bought these motors, some are very nippy and some are just slugs! The first thing I do is to thoroughly clean out the EGR Valve.

This one is sluggish, it is a high miler (227k) which is not a biggy for these and talking from past experience. It has been regularly serviced and starts first time sounding sweet as a nut. I have so far restored the EGR valve aggressively including the area to were the EGR screws onto. I have not disconnected the whole manifolded yet and cleaned it there, as never done this before and not sure if it is actually needed.

However, I need some cheap, cheerful and quick fix suggestions please on how to get this running to how it should with a bit of a poke to the acceleration.

All your advise will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Waqs

12 hours ago, Waqs said:

Hi All,

I hope we are doing good!

I have recently purchased the above vehicle opposed to the lower year models I have had.

I have experienced occasionally, when I have bought these motors, some are very nippy and some are just slugs! The first thing I do is to thoroughly clean out the EGR Valve.

This one is sluggish, it is a high miler (227k) which is not a biggy for these and talking from past experience. It has been regularly serviced and starts first time sounding sweet as a nut. I have so far restored the EGR valve aggressively including the area to were the EGR screws onto. I have not disconnected the whole manifolded yet and cleaned it there, as never done this before and not sure if it is actually needed.

However, I need some cheap, cheerful and quick fix suggestions please on how to get this running to how it should with a bit of a poke to the acceleration.

All your advise will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Waqs

I'm sure you will find that if you take off the intake manifold you will see it will be clogged up.plus you would need to clean out that pipe that goes from the egr to the engine . There a Irish guy that did it on YouTube his video is good. I know the 2014 2.0 has a dpf as that's what my car has got and it's a 2.0 2014 model 

Hi @2009joe,

I did clean out the pipe you are referring to but not done the intake manifold. I am apprehensive of doing this as I have never done it before and never had the need to 😔

I have also viewed the video of step by step instructions but there is a lot to do, including the fuel rail which has made me feel uncomfortable in doing so, if this goes wrong then there will be a lot more on my plate then just a sluggish car 🤔.

Therefore, I thought if there is any other simpler options? Shall I get the DPF removed you think?

Thanks

DPF is probably a good place to have a least inspected. Beyond the intake, fuel filter, and EGR, there isn't much "low hanging fruit" in terms of quick fixes. Yes, you could go for an extensive "Italian tuneup" to try to clear out the DPF/exhaust.  

• Like 1

@APS I have never worked on a DPF, so just to clarify you would say it is beneficial and obviously cheapest route to go down? As deleting it will cost more, i.e. configure the ECU etc?

Also is any additive effective to clear out such issues instead of physically cleaning. I have used Clean drive Eco Motive the past:

Ecomotive Clean Drive 475ml : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Fuel additives are probably (I say this because it is just so hard to empirically verify) more preventative when used repeatedly over a longer period of time. You car has covered a long distance, may never have been cleaned out, and therefore is more likely to have a build up of ash. It would probably benefit from a clean regardless. Since just about every garage do DPF cleaning nowadays for anything from £50 to £200 - I'd say say that's the easiest and cheapest route. Heck of a lot cheaper than replacing it and barely makes it worth the time and hassle of doing it yourself.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, APS said:

Fuel additives are probably (I say this because it is just so hard to empirically verify) more preventative when used repeatedly over a longer period of time. You car has covered a long distance, may never have been cleaned out, and therefore is more likely to have a build up of ash. It would probably benefit from a clean regardless. Since just about every garage do DPF cleaning nowadays for anything from £50 to £200 - I'd say say that's the easiest and cheapest route. Heck of a lot cheaper than replacing it and barely makes it worth the time and hassle of doing it yourself.

Those garages are a waste of time when doing that plus a waste of money as they really hardly work long term. I see places with dpf cleaning machines where they take off the dpf strap it down into this powerfully powerwashikg machine and blow chemicals in it then put it back on the car again the dpf

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Waqs said:

@APS @2009joe is this a genuine method?

tbh i think this is the best way if you ask me  

@2009joe I never knew the DPF was linked at that location. I have always thought, the DPF was under the car, attached to the exhaust or CAT.

10 hours ago, Waqs said:

@2009joe I never knew the DPF was linked at that location. I have always thought, the DPF was under the car, attached to the exhaust or CAT.

aye tbh in the toyota t27 its in at the back of the engine never taken one out to see if it was hard a good mechanic could let you know. but if you could find one of those places that have a machine that cleans them like that should be good not like the other guys that clean it on the car then rev  the dung out of the car to clean it out they never work .tbh i believe that diesels hhould never be rev the dung out of them only tick over driving about 1.5k or 2k 

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links