Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My actual 2023 Yaris Cross.

Tel 2

I believe the 2023 version is better built .

I have zero Rust issues despite it has rained almost every day since my Ownership.Discs are near perfect & you have all seen a photo of  one of my Pristine Hinges.

Rear Door Access is similar to my Lexus F-Sport in that F/Seat movement improves entry significantly.

Seen 70 mpg &, on a cold start 35 mile run, achieved 65 mpg & I drive swift.

Driving Lights & Mirrors are fine & my Dongled Car Play Nav is perfect.

The Trim & Carpets are not as plush as my Lexus but look good in a car that is half the price of the latest F-Sport.

The Ride is a touch firm on my Falkens but then my last 5 Lexus had AVS Suspension that cosseted one's bottom.

Cabin Lighting mirrors the Lexus although it did have a rear roof light.Subdued Lighting is So today but imperfect for Seniors.

Radio is good .

Tel

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the review it's nice to see one from someone who actually own the car.

• Haha 1

Good to know, and pleased you're enjoying it!

Took our mk 4 Yaris in on the 27th February for a service where the dealer offered a valuation which was very agreeable. Ordered a Cross Design. Delivered last Wednesday. 

Pleased with the new car. Most important matters for us was the much improved ride following the Mk 4 low profiles and harsh suspension, and the amount of room in the boot of the cross. Can't find anything to criticise yet. Still pondering over whether to buy the spare wheel and jack off e bay for 169 pounds. 

• Like 2

Steve, I think TonyHSD had a near perfect argument for that.  If you have a breakdown service they can put on an emergency wheel and get you to a tyre fitters. 

My only counter is if you need your car out of normal hours or catching a flight etc, you may not have time to spare. 

• Like 2

The problems with relying on a breakdown service is how long are they going to take? Will the tyre fitter they take you to have the correct size? You'll probably have no choice over brand of tyre and could be had over a barrel for some ditchfinder. The breakdown guy may well get a 'nice little earner' from the fitter.

5 hours ago, BugsyB said:

Still pondering over whether to buy the spare wheel and jack off e bay for 169 pounds. 

I got my spacesaver wheel from eBay £169, came from The Wheel Shop based in Manchester and pleased with it, comes with a large 3 tonne rated scissor jack with a handy ratchet style spanner for raising/lowering the car, extendable wheelbrace, two double ended sockets and toolbag. Fits nicely in the boot wheelwell, no clamp bolt provided which can be ordered from same shop £12.95 but made my own, jack is stored in the small compartment located at the right of the boot, just pull the cover off, not tried on the car yet but see no reason it won't fit, got my YC Design 2 wks ago will post some comments later     

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 9:32 AM, BugsyB said:

Took our mk 4 Yaris in on the 27th February for a service where the dealer offered a valuation which was very agreeable. Ordered a Cross Design. Delivered last Wednesday. 

Pleased with the new car. Most important matters for us was the much improved ride following the Mk 4 low profiles and harsh suspension, and the amount of room in the boot of the cross. Can't find anything to criticise yet. Still pondering over whether to buy the spare wheel and jack off e bay for 169 pounds. 

Picking up my new one shortly. Asked main dealer about spare wheel. Quoted £119.

• Like 1

Not sure if better built but I would say the car feels rather solid. My 23 design trim cross sees 75-80mpg consistently on a 34 mile commute to work (33/33/33 split between town 30mph, 40-50mph and 70 mph limit motorway roads). Only done 500 miles so far so should get better with time and as the weather improves. It’s actually mind blowing.

• Like 4

I know right?? They really knocked it out of the park with this drivetrain :biggrin: 

It's not so impressive in the winter, as using the heater absolutely murders the mpg (I lost like 20-30!) but when it gets warmer the car seems to run on almost nothing!

• Like 2

And to think this isn’t even the latest generation hybrid system like in the new Corolla…

39 minutes ago, Cyker said:

It's not so impressive in the winter, as using the heater absolutely murders the mpg (I lost like 20-30!) but when it gets warmer the car seems to run on almost nothing!

I was down at 57 over winter but creeping up now. 31 mpg average over 1,000 miles and 62 mpg this past month.  Last week, 2 longer trips 39 mph and 64 mpg. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nakamotoyo said:

And to think this isn’t even the latest generation hybrid system like in the new Corolla…

I'm not sure what gen this one counts as, as it's newer than the previous gen Corolla but not as new as the new new Corolla.

It's definitely the first Toyota hybrid I've been in where the electric motor can work at motorway speeds!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cyker said:

I'm not sure what gen this one counts as, as it's newer than the previous gen Corolla but not as new as the new new Corolla.

It's definitely the first Toyota hybrid I've been in where the electric motor can work at motorway speeds!

They all can since 2016 Prius gen 4. The vibe in gen 5 is that this plus acceleration been further improved. Yaris it’s a winner because of the light weight as well. It’s the lightest of all., 1100kg and cross slightly more where Corolla starts from 1300kg

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 1:59 PM, Cyker said:

I know right?? They really knocked it out of the park with this drivetrain :biggrin: 

You get like 70's in the winter right as u live like an Eskimo in the car with no heater on, impressive. With the fuel u saved, affordability of fur jacket isn't an issue. 

Mojo, you have a point.  The car care nut explains that the coolant circulation is controlled to direct the hot water to those parts that needed them to warm up fastest. 

I guess once the coolant is up to temp the system will run the ICE to maintain the optimum temperature. Clearly running the car heater will increase the cooling effect thus demanding the ICE run more to keep it at the optimum temp. 

This leads on to a question I asked some time ago.  Before temperature controlled fans we could get radiator muffles to keep the coolant temp up.  Would muffles help today? 

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Mojo, you have a point.  The car care nut explains that the coolant circulation is controlled to direct the hot water to those parts that needed them to warm up fastest. 

I guess once the coolant is up to temp the system will run the ICE to maintain the optimum temperature. Clearly running the car heater will increase the cooling effect thus demanding the ICE run more to keep it at the optimum temp. 

This leads on to a question I asked some time ago.  Before temperature controlled fans we could get radiator muffles to keep the coolant temp up.  Would muffles help today? 

Not sure about muffles, but a muzzle might just help you .  🙂

But i noted a econ and fast button on your hvac controls? This should be the key for heating quickly or be on the efficient side. Btw Prius and Corolla has active grill , perhaps yours does too, but I can’t say for sure. 👍

I've noticed my car gets up to temp fairly quickly (according to the temperature dial anyway). Most cars i've owned would take at least 5 mins to heat the engine enough to be able to put the heater on. Not so in the YC.

• Like 1

That's really interesting; My Yaris is the opposite - When it's cold it takes forever to heat up and if I use the heater it cools down the engine so fast the engine has to start and waste fuel just to generate heat!

I was very tempted to use the old cabbie trick of blocking up the front grilles with cardboard to see if that helped!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Nakamotoyo said:

would take at least 5 mins to heat the engine enough to be able to put the heater on. Not so in the YC.

How long does it take? 

Mine is rapid even in mid-Winter,

Tel

• Like 1

I am sure that hybrids warms up fastest of all cars with petrol engines, even when they are simply ON while stationary., no need to drive to get it warm up quickly, the mg1 can create enough load to the engine and the engine can spin at high rpm’s so warming up process will be super quick. On top of that your MA engines has built into the block exhaust manifold and directly fitted catalytic converter plus the pipe for egr is locate post the cat, all in all made to warm up as quick as possible. Only check if you have active grille shutters, no need of cardboard 😂👌, unless you want to tune your car 😄

10 hours ago, Cyker said:

if I use the heater it cools down the engine so fast the engine has to start and waste fuel just to generate heat!

I was very tempted to use the old cabbie trick of blocking up the front grilles with cardboard to see if that helped!!

Less of the old young fella.  Cardboard was the cheap solution.  It was common for more up market cars like Wolsey and Riley to have smart black leather covers on the radiator.  They even had a segment in the cover that could be opened or closed. 

More recently like 1970s SAAB and others had a winter/summer setting for the air intake.  In SAAB it was more physical as you moved the intake over the exhaust pipe. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up my new Yaris Cross on 26th April and since then, I have done 636 kms, (395 miles). The dealer said he had put in €40, (about 22 litres) and I put in a further 9 litres a few days ago. Because it is a European version, I can not get a mpg readout, so I have it set for kms/ltr. Whilst driving, I have seen it show 25 and I have just been out and checked and it is showing 23.7 kms/ltr, which eqates to about 67mpg. Whilst I have been treating the car gently, most of my driving is done on country roads, so my speed is not often above 50mph. The previous Corolla was usually in the 55 to 62 mpg, depending on conditions, so, with the Yaris Cross being so new, I have high hopes for the mpg figures.

We took my Aunt out for a shortish ride a few days ago and, after a few miles, I asked her to give me one word to compare the Yaris Cross with the Corolla - the word she used was "smoother". The YC is definitely quieter than the Corolla. How much is down to the tyres, (Falken 215/50R18), I'm not sure, but they certainly seem better than the low profile Falkens on the Corolla. 

The YC seems to be at least as good, if not better, than the Corolla in the build, ride and comfort. The new 9" infotainment set up does what it does quite well, but the one thing that is missing, is the ability to play MP4 video files! The tailgate seems to be very solid and is quite heavy. However, the only way to open it is via the external pushbutton - there is no lever inside the cabin and no button on the key fob. The Corolla had both for the boot lid.  I am not sure how the specifications for the Irish market compare to other markets, but there are three fwd versions here - 'Lunar', 'Lunar Sport' and 'Sol'. I have the 'Sol', which is the highest specced available. 

After such a short time of ownership, I will now use one word - 'impressed'. 

@TonyHSD , (and anyone else interested), I hope this is of some use.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links