Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

fitting a full sized spare wheel to a 2020 CHR 1.8L

EthanThomson97

Just bought a CHR, and im expecting to have to make cross country trips in it (ipswich to plymouth) and obviously relying on a space saver or tyre repair kit isnt something im planning to do. how difficult would it be to fit a full sized 18" wheel into the boot?

I know I cannot get a full size in my 2 litre so have the Toyota wheelbarrow wheel as attached photo. Difference being the Battery foe a 1.8 is under the bonnet. Toyota do all parts required to convert.

20220608_102239.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chrisg99 said:

I know I cannot get a full size in my 2 litre so have the Toyota wheelbarrow wheel as attached photo. Difference being the battery foe a 1.8 is under the bonnet. Toyota do all parts required to convert.

20220608_102239.jpg

thanks for the quick response. i know in the owners manual it shows the fitting on a full sized spare wheel. who in toyota should i contact about which parts i'd need to accomplish this?

The parts department of your Toyota dealer will assist (well mine did) and order what is required. If you look back on posts on here your will find the original discussions etc about this subject. I have added the parts list for my 2 litre. The polystyrene pieces will be different as the 1.8 does not have the Battery in the boot. I think you will need the replacement floor panel for a 1.8 but if your parts department is as helpful as mine you should have no trouble. Yes the wheel is only a 17".

If you want any other info give me a shout.scanwheel.pdf

• Like 1

I helped my dad fit the spare wheel kit to his 2.0. Unless the boot floor is deeper on the 1.8, a full size spare wheel raise the boot floor above the height of the loading lip, so will hugely reduce boot size. The space saver wheel is fine for (hopefully) occasional use and is lighter too. In the 2.0 it fits well with the kit from Toyota Direct Parts. They also sell a kit for the 1.8. 

• Like 2

the 1.8 is slightly deeper i believe simply because the wheel sits central to the car rather than to one side. even then, i dont mind losing a bit of space to have that insurance

especially since yesterday my tyre had a side wall go and i had to wait for the AA to arrive 

I had seen recently a huge numbers of tyre breakdowns on the motorways. Definitely a pothole drama plus the lower profile tyres so popular with latest Toyota models but there is another factor too, many car owners drives with under inflated tyres which leads to tyre bursts💥🛞 

Full size spare tyre unless crossing the globe might not be necessary but a space saver will be a good addition. Remember space savers aren’t to be mounted on the drive axle, especially if you are planning a longer drives with those. They add extra heat and load to the differential, bearings and gears in your transmission. 👍

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I had seen recently a huge numbers of tyre breakdowns on the motorways. Definitely a pothole drama plus the lower profile tyres so popular with latest Toyota models but there is another factor too, many car owners drives with under inflated tyres which leads to tyre bursts💥🛞 

Full size spare tyre unless crossing the globe might not be necessary but a space saver will be a good addition. Remember space savers aren’t to be mounted on the drive axle, especially if you are planning a longer drives with those. They add extra heat and load to the differential, bearings and gears in your transmission. 👍

this is why i need a full sized spare rather than a space saver. its a 5.5 hour drive as it is, i dont need to add to it by going slower, or waiting on the AA to drag me to a garage. i just want to be able to get moving as soon as possible at the best possible speed

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

I had a spacesaver wheel for a 4x4 Kuga! no issues or are Fords different?

Ford spacsaver it the type specifcation of tyre is correct DONT expect the bolt/stud holes to line up with a Toyota this applies to 4 & 5 stud wheels.

6 hours ago, Chrisg99 said:

I had a spacesaver wheel for a 4x4 Kuga! no issues or are Fords different?

Most likely the same situation with any car. All that happens because the space saver although has similar outer diameter the tyre profile, width and tread are very different and this immediately affects the differential.
The driver may not notice always but there will be a whining noise like bad bearings felt immediately. 

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Didn’t know that about front axle 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links