Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Android Auto Wireless

sosullivan

Hi folks,

Can anyone advise of the best Android Auto dongle so I can use my Android Auto OnePlus 11 wirelessly with my 2022 GR Sport Corolla. I'm getting fed up with having to plug the phone in to use Android Auto.

Thanks Seamus

I have been using one of these for 6 months now and it does the job.
In the beginning it would sometimes disconnect on its own and reconnect in 10-15 seconds.
Now it is fine. I have used it with a Samsung A52 5G and a Z Flip 4.

+1 for the AAWireless. I've had mine for nearly 2 years now and it is a great improvement over using a cable, including some extra options like changing the display resolution.

14 hours ago, Popama said:

I have been using one of these for 6 months now and it does the job.

Currently unavailable on Amazon, I wonder why 😁

Question. 

For my wired AA connection I need to use the USB socket on the dash (untidy).  Could this device get power from either 12v socket, for instance in the boot and link to the system via BT? 

In other words a true wireless BT bridge? 

2 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Currently unavailable on Amazon, I wonder why 😁

Question. 

For my wired AA connection I need to use the USB socket on the dash (untidy).  Could this device get power from either 12v socket, for instance in the boot and link to the system via BT? 

In other words a true wireless BT bridge? 

Unfortunately you can't do this.

The AAWireless box, or any other AA wireless dongle, connects to the vehicle head unit via cable. The dongle is providing the wireless connection for AA (which can't work over just BT). I have confirmed with AAWireless, however, that no special cable is required - so long as it supports data transfer.

If you manage to get hold of a box Amazon have a selection of USB adapters/cables with angled connectors which ought to help. I've been looking for options for when (if) I get a Corolla.

There does not seem to be any explanation of why the Toyota head units, and many others for that matter, support wireless Carplay but not AA. It might well be possible for this to be corrected by a firmware update, but I would not hold my breath for that.

J7Don, thanks for that.  I have been told that several mobile devices will work for Android. 

As for angled USB cables, you need a left angle for the car plug.  The next problem is USB Mini cables are like Hen's teeth whereas USB C are available in any length. 

I have a left angle for my phone but only 20cm long. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

.. The next problem is USB Mini cables are like Hen's teeth whereas USB C are available in any length. ...

The device uses USB Type C not USB Mini so you are covered on that front. I think 20cm is ideal for the cable, I am using a 50cm one neatly rolled around the device.

As for uncluttered placement I taped mine above the smartphone cubby with double sided tape so it is out of sight when sitting in the car. There is plenty of room left for the smartphone or wallet and I think I can eventually fit an aftermarket wireless charger there (although I prefer charging my phone by cable and 50% of the Battery can last me for 3+ hour drives).

As for purchasing places I bought them from a local store last year and a friend of mine got one last week. It was delivered in just a couple of days.
They seem to deliver internationally as well and have it in stock.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Popama said:

As for uncluttered placement I taped mine above the smartphone cubby with double sided tape so it is out of sight when sitting in the car. There is plenty of room left for the smartphone or wallet and I think I can eventually fit an aftermarket wireless charger there.

Could you post some pictures please?

I've been considering the same position, with under the dash in the footwell or inside/behind the glovebox as possibilities. (no access to a Corolla to see which would work)

Knowing which option I'd go for will assist with shopping for the best looking cable...

I took some pictures just now.
I am using a type C variant of this product as the USB type A end is reversible. For the longest time I had no idea such a thing exists and now I cannot understand why not all USB type A are made reversibile.

• Like 2

Don, with my Yaris the obvious routing is with a left-angle lead, 20 cm is ideal, and the box taped to the bottom of the control bank, ie upper part of the cubby space.

As I don't have the device, and my Android phone uses the USB Mini with a 20cm cable it sits inverted in the cubby. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Popama said:

I took some pictures just now.
I am using a type C variant of this product as the USB type A end is reversible. For the longest time I had no idea such a thing exists and now I cannot understand why not all USB type A are made reversibile.

Yeah, the people who designed the USB connectors are total idiots. It is one of the worst family of connectors ever designed. I also wish USB-A was reversible from the start, as I've had many people manage to somehow force USB-A connectors in the wrong way and irreparably break the socket.

Even USB-C while better, is still very fragile. As much as I hate Apple, the lightning connector is much more sensibly designed - If it breaks it's much more likely to be the cable, but with USB-C it's much more likely to be the socket! Several people are on their last functioning USB-C socket on their laptops, and as the connectors are soldered to the motherboard and not on a separate daughter-board, when that goes the whole laptop will be written off. Ridiculous designs.

Thanks guys, that's very helpful.

I already have a list of possible cables (USB C to C for AAWireless in a new Corolla).

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

s much as I hate Apple, the lightning connector is much more sensibly designed - If it breaks it's much more likely to be the cable

You're in luck. EU to ban Apple connectors and standardise on USB C. 

🙂

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links