Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross anti-theft alarm.

TopGeek

A blue one apparently :laugh: 

On 4/25/2023 at 3:35 PM, CPN said:

All HEVs and BEVs have to make some sort of sound up to 6 mph while running in electric mode only (ICE not running). I believe that that has been mandated since 2019. If you open your windows and let the car creep forward (D selected) when the ICE is not running, you should hear a strange sound like rattling cans...

I believe that the extra "horn" is actually a transducer (as opposed to a conventional horn) that can make multiple types of sounds. In my video above, it actually augments the normal horn to provide a much louder twin tone horn effect...

Does it work in reverse ? 

37 minutes ago, tfc said:

Does it work in reverse ? 

Yes 

On 4/25/2023 at 3:35 PM, CPN said:

All HEVs and BEVs have to make some sort of sound up to 6 mph while running in electric mode only (ICE not running). I believe that that has been mandated since 2019.

Mandatory for EVs/BEVs built with new Type Approval after 1st July 2019, and all EVs/BEVs built after 1st July 2021.

• Thanks 1

I can't hear anything, I've been wondering to fit a reversing bleeder😄, I always reverse up  the drive and its always on ev, and on a few occasions the next door neighbour hasn't heard me reversing   

This is the alarm sounder, tucked up behind the bumper.  It will make a sound sure enough but it won’t be frightening 🙄

IMG_4730.jpeg

• Like 1

Think you'll find that that is the normal anaemic horn!

Here is where the extra transducer is on the Yaris... (mine is a Launch Edition 2020 MY)

image.thumb.png.2c401e76642df79401caae325162d375.png

(the normal horn is less accessible further down the inside of the grill)

No it isn’t.  That is behind the grill, not the bumper and the wailer is in the same place as yours.  

IMG_4729.jpeg

IMG_4733.jpeg

Daughter had a habit of reversing into things, so I fitted a naff doorbell sounder purchased off eBay. It was tiny and just dropped in the reverse light. Drove her mad and her partner could never find it. Still on the car when it was sold!

3 hours ago, anchorman said:

No it isn’t.  That is behind the grill, not the bumper and the wailer is in the same place as yours. 

I thought that that is what I said? ("down the inside of the grill")

I never mentioned the bumper?

Thanks for confirming the rest.

• 2 weeks later...

My so-called siren is located in the tray at the front top of the engine compartment but I have still not been able to detect any sound from it. I've driven with the window open at low speed in EV mode with pedestrians walking nearby and there's no warning sound outside even though I get the internal bleeping. I've also tried using the manual key with the remote located far away and there is definitely no intruder alarm.

This is the first time I've attemted to add an outline to a photo. Blue was clearly not the right colour to choose.

Siren.jpg

If it fails it will put a warning on the dash.  

I've now found a passage on Page 77 of the Owner's Manual under the glorius title of 'Acoustic vehicle alerting
system'  This says:

'When the gasoline engine is off
while driving, a sound is produced
to warn pedestrians, people riding
bicycles or other people and vehicles
in the surrounding area that
the vehicle is approaching'.

So presumably that sound is supposed to be generated by the device shown in the photo in my last post. I tried again on my visit to the supermarket this evening, with plenty of people around  but I could still not hear any warning sounds. Looks like I'm going to have to pay a visit to the dealer.

1 hour ago, TopGeek said:

I've now found a passage on Page 77 of the Owner's Manual under the glorius title of 'Acoustic vehicle alerting
system'  This says:

'When the gasoline engine is off
while driving, a sound is produced
to warn pedestrians, people riding
bicycles or other people and vehicles
in the surrounding area that
the vehicle is approaching'.

So presumably that sound is supposed to be generated by the device shown in the photo in my last post. I tried again on my visit to the supermarket this evening, with plenty of people around  but I could still not hear any warning sounds. Looks like I'm going to have to pay a visit to the dealer.

Yes, that’s the device in your photo.  I don’t know how loud you are expecting it to be but you probably won’t hear it unless the window is down.  You don’t need people around, in fact you would be better on a quiet road.  It won’t work while the engine is running either.  Go to a quiet road.  Put the window down.  Turn the climate control to off.  If it runs the engine because the Battery is low, forget it.  It doesn’t need to make a noise if the engine is running.   If the engine isn’t running and you creep forward, you will hear a ghostly wail!   It only works below 19 mph.   It doesn’t make sense that it isn’t working (although it’s not impossible) because if you unplug it, a warning will flag up.  Therefore if it goes open circuit the same will happen.  Plus it’s a simple device, plus it’s a Toyota.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We had a few members thinking there was something wrong with the car as they could hear a weird grinding sound at lower speeds but it turned out to be the AVAS :laugh: 

I still wish it was customizable or had some sort of options you could pick aside from the UFO-with-it's-handbrake-stuck-on sound, e.g. Generic Toyota  4-pot, Lexus LFA, Moped, Sports Bike, Diesel Bus, V8 Muscle Car, The Subaru, 4 Rotor Wankel, Jet Turbine, Harley Davidson, Angry Lion, etc.

• Haha 3

I did have the window down and it was very quiet outsde. I'l try again before I go to the dealer.

• Like 2

Listen better.  Maybe in a garage. 

In any case I've seen that AVAS doesn't harms dogs and pidgeons walking in front of the car.  So how can it warn pedestrians with bluetooth ear plugs ?

31 minutes ago, RickyC said:

Listen better.  Maybe in a garage. 

In any case I've seen that AVAS doesn't harms dogs and pidgeons walking in front of the car.  So how can it warn pedestrians with bluetooth ear plugs ?

Not a good analogy really, they wouldn’t hear a Scania would they but it is designed to alert a presence.  I agree it should be the pedestrian’s responsibility to check a road for cars driving sensibly (there is always a dope who should have their license revoked) but we live in a woke world where it’s always somebody else’s fault.  

• Like 1

Yeah, I could creep right up to people in my old Mk1 D4D, and that had one of the most dakkety diesel engines in the world, and they'd still not notice I was there!

I swear if we needed a Walking License to walk on public pavements, half the population would fail... The phone zombies are everywhere!

The most egregious one I've seen so far this week was a mother who, instead of waiting for the crossing lights to change, just strode out and crossed the road, child and pram in front, right in front of an oncoming Prius taxi!

I actually thought he was going to hit them, but she just carried on striding across, apparently oblivious to how close she and her kid were to being a bonnet decoration.

Either the EAB works really well on the Prius or that cabbie was really on the ball!

I dropped in on my dealership yesterday and the receptionist offered to drive my car past me. Sure enough it does make a sort of scraping noise but it is not very loud and I doubt it would have much, if any, effect on pedestrians or cyclists even if they were alert. As Cyker said, phone zombies are everywhere. Over here, no-one pauses before stepping onto a pedestrian crossing and a noise generator is not going to change that.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 1:13 PM, Cyker said:

We had a few members thinking there was something wrong with the car as they could hear a weird grinding sound at lower speeds but it turned out to be the AVAS :laugh: 

I still wish it was customizable or had some sort of options you could pick aside from the UFO-with-it's-handbrake-stuck-on sound, e.g. Generic Toyota  4-pot, Lexus LFA, Moped, Sports Bike, Diesel Bus, V8 Muscle Car, The Subaru, 4 Rotor ****el, Jet Turbine, Harley Davidson, Angry Lion, etc.

Reminiscing again here 🙄, but anyone remember those 80s fun car accessories, that had a Battery and simulated sounds such as machine gun, grenade, death ray etc.

They were only designed to be heard in the car to vent frustration at lemming pedestrians,bad drivers, and traffic jams.

The electrically clued up could hook them up to an amplified underbonnet speaker though, with satisfying results I understand.

But then when I saw on Monday a woman with children crossing behind a refuse wagon with klaxon type racket and a loud speaker shouting "beware reversing, beware reversing" I understood that no amount of warning will work for the terminally stupid.

(No she can't have been deaf, she was shouting into a phone while walking, and swearing at the children for existing.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of my daughters had a habit of reversing into things (SWMBO has a habit of driving into them). After numerous repairs to the back of her car, I fitted a cheap, doorbell sounder off eBay, hidden in a rear light unit. She never found it and was still on the car when sold.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links