Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Cross anti-theft alarm.

TopGeek

I noticed a device a bit like a horn, in its own space in the engine compartment. At first, I thought it was the horn but I checked the part number which said it's an alarm siren. There is nothing about an alarm system in the long list of specs for the car and I have seen references to windows stickers on cars fitted with anti-theft alarms - so, my question is, "do I have an alarm"? Surely Toyota would not have installed a siren if there was no alarm fitted?

In the Owner's Manual it says 'Alarm - if fitted'. How would I know?

Open the car with the key instead of remote or keyless entry and you'll soon find out! :laugh: 

• Haha 1

Or sit in the car, power off, then move. 

Better, lock MiL in car and go shopping. 😂

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

Open the car with the key instead of remote or keyless entry and you'll soon find out! :laugh: 

I tried that but no result so I called the dealer and they are completely confused. They checked another Yaris Cross and it has the same siren fitted but they don't think there is an anti-theft system fitted. They will check with Toyota. Mysterious. I'll post again when I know more.

If your car is smart (touch) entry and exit, lock the car and then you need to move ANY fob out of reach of the car. Then use the manual key (extracted from the fob) to unlock the driver's door and see what happens. The important bit is that the car must not be able to "see" any of the fobs while you are doing this.

The dealer called back to say this device is an automatic warning signal activated when the vehicle is operating silently in EV mode and detects another vehicle, cyclist or pedestrian passing nearby.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CPN said:

If your car is smart (touch) entry and exit, lock the car and then you need to move ANY fob out of reach of the car. Then use the manual key (extracted from the fob) to unlock the driver's door and see what happens. The important bit is that the car must not be able to "see" any of the fobs while you are doing this.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it but still no result so I conclude there is no anti-theft alarm. The dealer's answer sounds valid but I didn't realise there was any automatic .external warning system fitted.

Did you wait a few minutes before trying to unlock the door manually? (it takes that long for the system to "arm")

I'd be very surprised if my 2020 Launch Edition Yaris has such an active system and yet your 2023 Yaris Cross doesn't?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TopGeek said:

....... this device is an automatic warning signal activated when the vehicle is operating silently in EV mode and detects another vehicle, cyclist or pedestrian passing nearby.

Now that is fascinating. My neighbours Kia bongs all the time as they drive out. 

My MY21 Yaris Cross is mute I think.  Don't know if that year has an automatic alert. 

22 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

Now that is fascinating. My neighbours Kia bongs all the time as they drive out. 

My MY21 Yaris Cross is mute I think.  Don't know if that year has an automatic alert. 

All HEVs and BEVs have to make some sort of sound up to 6 mph while running in electric mode only (ICE not running). I believe that that has been mandated since 2019. If you open your windows and let the car creep forward (D selected) when the ICE is not running, you should hear a strange sound like rattling cans...

I believe that the extra "horn" is actually a transducer (as opposed to a conventional horn) that can make multiple types of sounds. In my video above, it actually augments the normal horn to provide a much louder twin tone horn effect...

1 hour ago, TopGeek said:

The dealer called back to say this device is an automatic warning signal activated when the vehicle is operating silently in EV mode and detects another vehicle, cyclist or pedestrian passing nearby.

(that's only part of its function)

Doh I should have twigged that was the speaker for the AVAS (Acoustic Vehicle Alert System), aka the weird spooky UFO-with-its-handbrake-stuck-on sound that the Toyota hybrids make when they're running on just the leccy motor (Usually between 0-13, sometimes 16, mph) that everyone ignores.

I'm surprised yours doesn't have the alarm tho'; Maybe it's not on certain regions or trims?

I still wish it was customizable. I'd love for it to make the sound of a dirty idling V8 and confuse everyone :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TopGeek said:

I tried it but still no result so I conclude there is no anti-theft alarm.

Intrusion alarm (using light and sound) is standard across all UK trim levels. You'll need to check the brochure spec for your region/trim level. There is a table of equipment towards the end.

It takes 30 seconds to arm once all doors are locked. It is quite tricky to trigger the alarm if you have Smart Entry enabled, even if you used the mechanical key.

11 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Or sit in the car, power off, then move.

It doesn't have any motion sensors. It just monitors the door and hood switches.

3 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

It is quite tricky to trigger the alarm if you have Smart Entry enabled, even if you used the mechanical key.

Really? When I tried it I literally just locked the car then opened it with the key and the alarm went off! IIRC I didn't even disable the keyfob like CPN did!

8 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

It takes 30 seconds to arm once all doors are locked. It is quite tricky to trigger the alarm if you have Smart Entry enabled, even if you used the mechanical key.

As long as the vehicle can't sense an active key fob, using the mechanical key, the alarm goes off as soon as you turn it.

8 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

It doesn't have any motion sensors. It just monitors the door and hood switches.

True.

I assumed the alarm would only trigger on the door opening. Which with Smart Entry, that act, could disarm the alarm as well. Are they really sensing the mechanical lock status of the doors?

2 minutes ago, IT Troll said:

I assumed the alarm would only trigger on the door opening. Which with Smart Entry, that act, could disarm the alarm as well. Are they really sensing the mechanical lock status of the doors?

Yes. Any physical movement of the lock mechanism either way will trigger it. Or in other words, thieves trying the old flat blade down the window seal trick, will definitely set it off.

• Like 3

Think the OP is in Canada - so specs may be different to the UK and Europe ......

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CPN said:

Alarm....

(let me know if this video link doesn't work)

So the bleeding alarm horn sounds better than the actual horn it seems! The measly bibber attached the the steering wheel doesn't do my rage any justice :biggrin:

• Haha 2

The dealer assured me my vehicle does not have an alarm system. That could well be due to Belgian noise regulations. In any case, I tried to copy the action in Colin's video and got no response.

2 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Think the OP is in Canada - so specs may be different to the UK and Europe ......

Someone's been looking at my ip address. I use a VPN currently through a server in Montreal but I'm actually in Belgium. Still, the thought may well be correct. Noise regulations are very tight here and I don't hear care alarms going off like I used to in the UK.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Cyker said:

sound that the Toyota hybrids make when they're running on just the leccy motor (Usually between 0-13, sometimes 16, mph) that everyone ignores.

Yes, waste of technology.  I would regularly creep up behind pedestrians who would suddenly jump, look around, and sometimes get out of the way - in a diesel Merc! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Yes, waste of technology.  I would regularly creep up behind pedestrians who would suddenly jump, look around, and sometimes get out of the way - in a diesel Merc! 

Take another blue one this morning !

1 hour ago, Bob66 said:

Take another blue one this morning !

That's the second incomprehensible post, what are you on? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links