Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing an Auris tailgate striker flap

Justin Smith

I broke the tailgate striker flap on my Auris Estate the other week. At first I thought I cannot be bothered to repair that, I'll just leave it, but every time I go in the boot I see it staring at me and it is annoying me more and more !
I have had a quick look at it but cannot see any easy way to get it out (and in again)
Am I missing anything ?
How much of the rear door trim do you have to remove and how easy is it ?
Thanks in advances for your help !

P1050210.JPG

I don't think it is worthy for replacement. You need to replace the whole trim and remove many tabs that often they broke when you open plastic trims. 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 11:49 AM, AisinW said:

I don't think it is worthy for replacement. You need to replace the whole trim and remove many tabs that often they broke when you open plastic trims. 

Oh dear, not good news.
I was quite surprised how it broke, there was only a piece of nylon "tape" (like the stuff you get on the handles of a bag) accidentally resting over the striker when I forgot and shut the boot !

My previous Focus had no flap over its boot lid striker, but that actually looks better than a broken flap !

I understand it bother you a lot.  You can still try to find the part number 58387-02190-C0  or 58387-02190-C1.  Search used part first that only cost $50 or less otherwise it cost $250 new.  You click on the part you need, it will show the part number on popout in this website. You only can buy the entire rear assembly, not just the flap. If you find the remaining plastic peaces, you can use strong epoxy (JBweld original) and add some fiber to strengthen the thin plastic structure. It is pretty simple, just open 2 bolts and pull it out. There are 4 plastic clips and sometimes the clips are ok but the mounting point can break when you yank it too fast. Slow and contant pressure is usually better for interior trim. I learned from my mistake on the side trims. I broke some mounting points, Put some fibers and JBweld all are fine. 

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2014/auris-hybrid-ukp/zwe186l-dwxgbw/1_166520_038_519W/body/6404_deck-board-deck-trim-cover/2#64716D

58387-02190-C0

• Like 1

On 5/5/2023 at 9:34 AM, Justin Smith said:

I broke the tailgate striker flap on my Auris Estate the other week. At first I thought I cannot be bothered to repair that, I'll just leave it, but every time I go in the boot I see it staring at me and it is annoying me more and more !
I have had a quick look at it but cannot see any easy way to get it out (and in again)
Am I missing anything ?
How much of the rear door trim do you have to remove and how easy is it ?
Thanks in advances for your help !

P1050210.JPG

Phew! My is broken too and I believe it always been. I have service manual. If I find it I will update here.

2 hours ago, Fostel said:

Phew! My is broken too and I believe it always been. I have service manual. If I find it I will update here.

Thanks.

It is annoying isn't it ? You see it every time you go in the boot !

I am reasonably keen to repair it, but if that's not possible it would at least look better if I removed it completely......

13 hours ago, AisinW said:

I understand it bother you a lot.  You can still try to find the part number 58387-02190-C0  or 58387-02190-C1.  Search used part first that only cost $50 or less otherwise it cost $250 new.  You click on the part you need, it will show the part number on popout in this website. You only can buy the entire rear assembly, not just the flap. If you find the remaining plastic peaces, you can use strong epoxy (JBweld original) and add some fiber to strengthen the thin plastic structure. It is pretty simple, just open 2 bolts and pull it out. There are 4 plastic clips and sometimes the clips are ok but the mounting point can break when you yank it too fast. Slow and contant pressure is usually better for interior trim. I learned from my mistake on the side trims. I broke some mounting points, Put some fibers and JBweld all are fine. 

http://www.japan-parts.eu/toyota/eu/2014/auris-hybrid-ukp/zwe186l-dwxgbw/1_166520_038_519W/body/6404_deck-board-deck-trim-cover/2#64716D

58387-2190-C0

Thanks for that.
The fact it's only available as part of the whole section is bad news, it will be expensive I'm sure....
Personally I think modern stuff being so difficult and/or expensive to repair is a disgrace, though Toyota are not the only culprits by any means.
I may even try and repair it with an alloy plate pop rivetted on if I think it'd look OK. It'd be stronger anyway.

19 hours ago, Justin Smith said:

Thanks.

It is annoying isn't it ?

You haven't seen the removal manual. That is annoying!

You need to remove all stuff from the boot and then lots of clips. Any one would brake in the process. To many shots to post here. I wouldn't do it. Not worthy, trust me.

On a 2013 Auris hybrid hatch, I have removed the equivalent panel several times.  This was to check what was needed to install a safety spare, and also to see just how badly a full-size 15" wheel fitted (which is actually, very badly indeed).

On that car there are four impossible-to-see clips, and two very obvious chrome-plated bolts, these bolts also secure the luggage tie-down 'D' rings. At each end of the trim there is a plastic tang that centres/locates the trim to the next piece of plastic trim. These end pieces aren't stiff at all.

The trim is very well secured.  It lifts straight up, vertically, and detaches with quite a bang.  Your neighbours might wonder what the heck you're doing...

No clips broke when I removed our ones.

These are the clips:

IMG_20230512_094439268.thumb.jpg.158bed4917d7e326901e55620e8722b0.jpg

This is the underside of the trim from our car:

IMG_20230512_094343614.thumb.jpg.cb798beaab7bea81b74e702def160fcc.jpg

The 4 holes that the clips fit into are obvious here:

P1130961.thumb.JPG.72e16078a41a31991c5e5c180ef47bee.JPG

You might apply a little vaseline to the clips, to make their removal a bit easier the next time.

Yours may be different of course, but I can't see the need for Toyota to change the basic design of how it attaches to the body.

Our car does not have the pivoting flap that yours has, it's a much simpler design - no moving parts, the lock tang is fully exposed.

In this Toyota guide to fitting parking sensors to a hatch, the boot panel is shown in picture 2.  They don't make much of it.

(The weird small-thimble graphic is supposed to be a waste bin, by the way.)

Auris Parking Sensors rear LHD.pdf

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links