Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Car not starting getting only single spark

Kingerz

I have a Yaris 1L Mk1 03 

It started running on 3 cylinders I left it a few days came back and it didn’t turn over.

I’ve checked for spark and all it’s getting is a single spark from each coil pack.

pretty sure Battery is good and it’s getting fuel.also I’ve checked all the fuses 

what would cause single spark and then for it to cut out?

Tia 

scan the car for codes, check the Battery voltage, have you tried a spare key ???

I had misfire codes on 3 and 4 I cleared them and Battery seems fine! I don’t have a spare key is my worry. 

What do the plugs look like ? What's the mileage, and when were they last changed ?

64k on clock spark plugs just a bit black on the end don’t look too bad other than that. Not sure when changed, shouldn’t I get a continuous sparks from coil plug?

11 hours ago, Kingerz said:

64k on clock spark plugs just a bit black on the end don’t look too bad other than that. Not sure when changed, shouldn’t I get a continuous sparks from coil plug?

No, what makes you think that?   You get one spark timed just before top dead centre.  Do the plugs get wet after turning it over, my guess is no because there’s nothing magical.  You need some fuel, a spark (which you know you are getting) and some compression and it will run.  It might run like a bag of pots but it will run.

It's not a continuous spark, can you post a pic of the plugs

That’s the plugs from 3 and 4, I thought I’d get a spark every time it tried to turn over. Maybe that’s where I’m going wrong, plugs ain’t getting wet so is it just a fuel issue instead.

D07489C9-AAB5-40C4-BE53-C293EBD434CA.jpeg

303DEA00-BBF7-465A-87C3-3EEB3D8A44CE.jpeg

1 hour ago, Kingerz said:

That’s the plugs from 3 and 4, I thought I’d get a spark every time it tried to turn over. Maybe that’s where I’m going wrong, plugs ain’t getting wet so is it just a fuel issue instead.

D07489C9-AAB5-40C4-BE53-C293EBD434CA.jpeg

303DEA00-BBF7-465A-87C3-3EEB3D8A44CE.jpeg

There’s your problem.  They should be wet through with fuel and they’re not.  Even if your timing was wrong it would pop and !Removed! as you know (hopefully) a spark near petrol will get a reaction - a serious one!   

Those plugs are done, you could drive a bus through that gap - only replace with Denso plugs

edit. 2003 it should be a french built car if so they should be Denso K20R-U11

As a temp measure you can close the gap up, it should be 1.1mm or 43 thou (.043)

On 5/14/2023 at 1:51 PM, anchorman said:

There’s your problem.  They should be wet through with fuel and they’re not.  Even if your timing was wrong it would pop and !Removed! as you know (hopefully) a spark near petrol will get a reaction - a serious one!   

Okay I got new spark plugs, what could be the problem them not getting wet, I can heat pump come on when I turn ignition 

Any new codes ? The crank sensor may be an issue check the resistance with a meter

I unplugged the sensor and checked it seemed to be reading fine that I can tell and no new codes of yet

It isn’t getting fuel from the injectors so first of all check there’s fuel at the fuel rail and if it is, check the injectors.  If there is fuel at the fuel rail, check an injector.   There are various fuses and relays.  Be very careful spraying fuel around.

43 minutes ago, Kingerz said:

I unplugged the sensor and checked it seemed to be reading fine that I can tell and no new codes of yet

What seemed to be reading fine?  How did you check it?  I personally doubt the crank sensor if it’s sparking but just wondered how you checked it.  

Only did a visual on sensor and put multimeter on plug not sure how else to check other than get a new one!

I’ll check fuel rail and injectors now 

Is the plug sparking as you crank the car, or does it just spark once, then nothing ?

Does the car crank over ?

check the Battery voltage under cranking if the voltage drops below 9v the Battery is screwed, it will cause the ecu to freak out

If it's fuel related, spraying some easy start in the intake should make the engine cough

No crank or cam signal will cause a no spark/fuel as the ecu doesn't know where it is

silly question, have you tried starting the car with the air filter removed - when was it last checked/replaced ?

Yeah it cranks over but just sparks the once  and then nothing until I hear the ignition reset I believe then I turn it over again and just one spark. I’m pretty sure Battery didn’t drop when I cranked I’ll check it again 

1 spark then nothing, sounds like the immobilizer kicking in

what scan tool are you using ?

6 minutes ago, flash22 said:

1 spark then nothing, sounds like the immobilizer kicking in

what scan tool are you using ?

Only a cheap bluetooth one ELM327 and I think it could be immobiliser as something is cutting the spark out

What app are you using or pc software ?

Just a car scanner app on my android 

Try ScanMaster-elm not all apps will display all codes

I’ll try that thanks and yeah the security light keeps flashing when I turn key over it’s supposed to go out right? 

yes it should go out

you can do a manual flash test for diagnostics by linking the 2 pins shown and turn the car on and count the flashes

677163947_toyotaobd2.jpg.4554c2db796aa643d3323206e6f138d4.jpg

have you done anything to the fob recently, like changing the Battery, or has the fob fallen apart ?, pop the key apart and make sure the chip is still in the key

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links