Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2014 toyota avensis second key fob no working

2009joe

hello i went out to my car to move it with my genuine second key i got with the car when i bought it i keep it as a spare but tbh cant remember when i used it well i went to open the doors with the remote fob and it did not work so i put the key in the door and turned opening the car door then it then the alarm went off .so i put the key in to the car and started it then  the alarm went off after that and i was able to drive it. i checke the Battery which seemed to be ok as i checked it with my multimeter and it showed a good Battery. i was wondering after a while of not using my spare key and fob will the car forget the remote and do i have to program the key fob again. do you guys know how or can i do this threw techstream .thanks guys 

buy new some batteryes and replace the Battery with a new fresh one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ever since I have owned my Avensis (both previous T22 and current T27), I rotate use of the keys. This has the benefit of less wear on one key, making sure the car does not forget a key not used in a long time and less likely to forget where the key was last placed. I mentioned the car forgetting the key, because it happened to my brother's Nissan Micra. It was sorted and he was told both keys need to be used, because the car will just think the key was lost/stolen! Not sure if Toyota have a similar system.
I have had a key issue with the T22, but that was the key going out of sync. That was explained in the owners manual for the T22, and I followed the instructions to get the key working properly.  

8 hours ago, Konrad C said:

Ever since I have owned my Avensis (both previous T22 and current T27), I rotate use of the keys. This has the benefit of less wear on one key, making sure the car does not forget a key not used in a long time and less likely to forget where the key was last placed. I mentioned the car forgetting the key, because it happened to my brother's Nissan Micra. It was sorted and he was told both keys need to be used, because the car will just think the key was lost/stolen! Not sure if Toyota have a similar system.
I have had a key issue with the T22, but that was the key going out of sync. That was explained in the owners manual for the T22, and I followed the instructions to get the key working properly.  

i remember reading your post but my key starts the car and ive tested the Battery seems to be a good Battery and  not flat but its surprizing that it dont work no more the fob part i was trying to keep one key loking like new and using the other one but well il put it on techstream and see how many  keys are stored or maybe thats nothing to do with the fob part konrad

15 hours ago, 2009joe said:

i remember reading your post but my key starts the car and ive tested the battery seems to be a good battery and  not flat but its surprizing that it dont work no more the fob part i was trying to keep one key loking like new and using the other one but well il put it on techstream and see how many  keys are stored or maybe thats nothing to do with the fob part konrad

Bear in mind that the immobiliser chip is totally separate to the remote locking/entry part of the key fob. The key will still start the car even with no Battery in the fob at all.

I find that the quality of some of these silver batteries is shockingly bad and always stick to Panasonic or Duracell brands now. I have known some to show an OK voltage with a multimeter but as soon as you put any load on them the voltage collapses to zilch. Now I don't even bother testing them, if the remote fob stops working I replace the Battery and it's fine.

• Like 2

Keep away from the cheap batteries, as @yossarian247stated. You should be able to resynchronise the fob without Techstream. It's a strange procedure which involves opening and closing the driver door and turning the key on and off, then pressing the lock and unlock buttons. Have a look through this thread, it has guides and videos on the procedure.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, paul9 said:

Keep away from the cheap batteries, as @yossarian247stated. You should be able to resynchronise the fob without Techstream. It's a strange procedure which involves opening and closing the driver door and turning the key on and off, then pressing the lock and unlock buttons. Have a look through this thread, it has guides and videos on the procedure.

Annoyingly the Toyota dealer near us uses rubbish batteries. A couple of times my wife's car has been in for a service then 2 or 3 weeks later her remote fob suddenly stops working. Open up the fob and sure enough they've replaced the Panasonic Battery I fitted last time with a cr@ppy Chinese brand which has lasted less than a month. I then fit another Panasonic and it's back working fine, until the next time it goes for a service! Next time it happens I'm going to complain.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not the best way for the dealership to do the right thing, although at least it proves that they tried. 🙄

I have been burned too many times on those cheap button cells, dead in days.

• Like 2

Hah, my dealer doesn't even change the batteries as far as I can tell, despite it being on the service sheet for a Full service, and when I started asking them to give me the Battery instead (They wouldn't discount the cost of the Battery from the service...), they didn't even give me the right one!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, yossarian247 said:

Bear in mind that the immobiliser chip is totally separate to the remote locking/entry part of the key fob. The key will still start the car even with no battery in the fob at all.

I find that the quality of some of these silver batteries is shockingly bad and always stick to Panasonic or Duracell brands now. I have known some to show an OK voltage with a multimeter but as soon as you put any load on them the voltage collapses to zilch. Now I don't even bother testing them, if the remote fob stops working I replace the battery and it's fine.

the Battery thats in my key fob is a panasonic and shows over 3v but i dont use the key so might just keep the Battery out of it from damaging the fob 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links