Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

M Drive & MMT

sproutdreamer

Are these the same thing. I have the impression that the MMT is prone to more problems than the earlier or later Toyota auto boxes?

M-Drive is a CVT - different to the Multi Mode Transmission.

• Like 1

I take it that CVT is better regarded than MMT?

Just because it's been less troublesome; The MMT is quite notorious for developing problems which are difficult to fix, because few garages know how to fix them.

The Toyota CVTs have been extremely reliable so far.

Generally, driving enthusiasts don't like CVTs and prefer double or single-clutch automated manuals like MMT and DSG, but just because the MMT has been so problematic as it gets worn, the CVT is much preferred because you don't need to worry about it going wrong as the car ages.

• Like 2

Mk1 Yaris is a mix of Auto and MMT (Freetronic on the early Jap cars), Mk2 is all MMT 06-11, Mk3 is CVT (Hybrid is eCVT but is nothing like a conventional CVT) 12-14 pre facelift, 14-17 first facelift with some major improvements, 2018-20 second facelift

Mk4 Yaris are 1.5 Hybrid, all are eCVT

Automated manuals (Toyota MMT, VW| DSG, Vauxhall easytronic and ford Powershift all have issues and most at 10-15 years old will cost 1/2 to, the full value of the car)

A Toyota main dealer will only do a Clutch with the clutch actuator, shift actuator and ecu if it hasn't been done that can hit £2500+ if you're unlucky

No major issues with Toyota's CVT ideally do a fluid change every 40-50k with the Toyota spec fluid

• Like 2

Thanks Flash for that summary of Toyota autos.

• Like 1

Is M-Drive just a shortened name for Multidrive (CVT)?

Having experienced a MMT(awful) and now Multidrive the latter is and has been fine and a much better experience.

Some hate CVTs for whatever reason - not sporty or cool innit! I suspect many who criticise them have never driven one. Read something on t'internet  or heard something from Glint Thrust, in his sheepskin jacket, down t'pub.

They do sometimes give the impression of a slipping clutch in a manual transmission with hard acceleration, i.e. high revs and little progress!

Multimode does have a "manual" option, as does MMT, with the ability to change the ratio by using the selector lever or paddles behind the steering wheel - err manually.

Well there are a few reasons they've not been popular; The main one, is early CVTs have a reputation for being very unreliable and being very expensive to repair - If the steel belt snaps it basically writes-off the engine. I wouldn't get a CVT gearbox with any other manufacturer than Toyota, as they've been the only one who've made one that has proved to be reliable.

Another issue is you usually can't tow much with them - It's very easy to over-stress one because they are constantly sliding.

But the main one is the feel - If you're used to driving manuals especially, CVTs feel awful - They don't react at all like you expect them to in conjunction with engine load, speed, accelerator input etc., and if you try to drive them hard they feel exactly like a clutch that has failed. You get used to it after a while, and I've learned to gradually increase my accelerator input rather than just putting in what I want it to be and waiting for the engine to catch up, like I would in a manual.

CVT's get a bad name due to the French manufactures penny-pinching, the Jatco and Nissan/Renault debacle of their CVT's grenading at anything over 30k miles when they let go they destroy themselves, no shop will even rebuild them

• Like 1

It's pretty horrific if a modern push-belt system fails as you get hundreds of little metal links flying everywhere and shredding the insides; No real choice but to replace the whole unit.

Thankfully Toyota did it properly, as I've never heard of a Toyota one failing except where the owner has done something really stupid with it.

Can we make it clear what sort of CVT we're talking about. Continuously Variable Transmission using a belt (or belts) over variable diameter pullies, or an epicyclic gearbox CVT as in Toyota hybrids.

5 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

Can we make it clear what sort of CVT we're talking about. Continuously Variable Transmission using a belt (or belts) over variable diameter pullies, or an epicyclic gearbox CVT as in Toyota hybrids.

Toyota hybrid transmission is an eCVT as opposed to a CVT.

The CVT is a push belt Built produced by Aisin (Toyota K series)

the eCVT is gear driven, known as the P series

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links