Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Best order to do things

Primus1

As my cross is due end of July, I thought I’d run my plans by you guys

i need to put my private plate on retention, I think I’m right that the DVLA will send out a new v5, with ( usually) the old registration re assigned to my car, and I can then put the original plates back on, ( I still have them) , then I will need my dash cam removing both front and rear cameras, I’m in two minds weather to do this myself, or to get the guy who originally did it to take it out, this will then need re fitting to my cross, I’m thinking of using a professional , ( same guy) to fit as this should negate any possible issues arising should Toyota try and wriggle out of any future warranty claims, ( I’m thinking electrical issues) I’m probably over thinking this bit , so,

do I wait until the app says build in progress and then get things in motion, or wait until it’s  left the factory?, or somewhere in between?

of course I’m going to have to inform my insurance regarding the change of registration, and again when I get my cross, which will probably cost me twice.., I just don’t want to do everything last minute 

I would start by putting your private plate on retention. This will put the original registration number back on your current car. From what I understand this can be done online and is essentially effective immediately (can't vouch for this as I don't have a private plate just yet). Next you will need to contact your insurer and let them know about the registration change. As you mention, they will probably charge a small admin fee. It might be worth contacting your dealer and asking them to register your new Yaris Cross with your private plate. They would then do the necessary. When you eventually come to sell the new Yaris Cross, you would need to go through the retention process again, at which point a new registration number will be issued to the Yaris Cross by the DVLA, or the original number (if it ever had one when registered by the dealer) would go back on the car. Once again you would need to contact your insurance company and tell them about the new car (and pay another small admin fee - of course 😀).

As for the Dashcam, you could remove this yourself and let your professional man refit it to the new car. Alternatively, you could do what I did. I removed only the cameras and left the wiring in my old C-HR. The new hardwire kit is around £20.00 and I felt it was easier to replace it rather than pull the old one out and refit it. The problem you may have is with the rear camera. Is it a separate unit or does it plug into your forward facing camera? 

So, your suggesting that I do my plate now…?

the cams are separate units, might have a look and see if there’s a cable for the rear I can purchase 

7 hours ago, Primus1 said:

So, your suggesting that I do my plate now…?

the cams are separate units, might have a look and see if there’s a cable for the rear I can purchase 

No. Do is closer to the time, when it suits you.

10 hours ago, Big_D said:

No. Do is closer to the time, when it suits you.

Yes, I’m thinking when it’s left the factory, I can buy a rear cable for the camera for £30 , the front wiring I can do myself, the guy I used last time is a mobile auto electrician, and could probably do it whilst I’m at work…

• Like 1

The dealer gave me an accurate delivery date weeks in advance.

Can’t comment on your plate, why not have the dealership change your cams. When I was buying my Yaris the dealership didn’t want to transfer the f&r hard wired dash cams. When I told him that I wouldn’t buy the car it was amazing how quickly they complied or lose the sale 😀👍

I am going through this now.  To be honest taking the plates off online only takes a few minutes but it takes a week for the retention doc and v5 to arrive.

If it's end july just do it mid July.  If tje dealer has the v5 for the new car you should be able to get them to put tje private plate on the cat before you get it.

I can change my insurance details online but each change costs a fiver a time so I want to minimise the number of changes if I can.

Yes, I’ve changed plates before and has the dealer fit and register my plate, I think I might try and remove my cameras myself, I’ve priced up an OE, cable for the rear cam and it’s not too bad, I’ll get it fitted by the guy who originally did it in my puma, he’s mobile so he can do it where I work, I can do the insurance online but not sure if it will cost me,,,,

On 6/7/2023 at 7:03 AM, Primus1 said:

Yes, I’ve changed plates before and has the dealer fit and register my plate, I think I might try and remove my cameras myself, I’ve priced up an OE, cable for the rear cam and it’s not too bad, I’ll get it fitted by the guy who originally did it in my puma, he’s mobile so he can do it where I work, I can do the insurance online but not sure if it will cost me,,,,

The rear cable has to go through the right hand umbilical trunking.   It’s a faff but doable.  There is a big access panel in the headliner which helps.  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links