Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla E12 wheel shakes when stopping

ereiciunas

Hello everyone,

I am having this issue with my Corolla, it started about two weeks ago. At first, when going about +60 MPH the front right wheel would “wobble” and the steering wheel would shake a bit. Now it got even worse, going at any speed. I know that this issue might be related to a warped rotor, but the thing is that the rotors had been changed a year ago and the shaking doesn’t always appear, sometimes the car stops normally. Could the rotor become warped? Or maybe this can be related to some other car part, for example stuck brake caliper guide/slide pin?

Thank you in advance, im pinning some pictures of both front wheels, the right side one is covered in dark dust, more then the other.

IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

IMG_0113.jpeg

Could be both....a seized caliper piston or slider pin will increase the chance of the disc becoming warped significantly. Does the car have any tendency to pull to the right, especially after braking?

• Like 1

I haven’t noticed if its pulling to the right after braking, but i’ve noticed, that when driving straight it pulls a bit to the right.

Have you gone back to basics and checked all the wheel nuts are secure ?  it does happen if the mechanic forgot to torque the nuts.

Assume you have not had any work done on the Axles recently, ie the hub nut could be working loose !!

Have you thoroughly inspected the tyres from all angles to check for a developing bulge  etc, easily done with all the pot holes around.

Also check the suspension for a broken spring or failed / leaking damper.

Vibration though the steering is typical of the front wheels needing to be rebalanced, the rears generally cause vibration though the floor but can sometimes present though the sterring wheel.

Typical Rotor wear /distortion can be often felt as steering wheel wobble  if braking hardish from a high speed, like when coming  off down a motoway slip road.

The dark dust is brake pad dust, so worth inspecting the pads  for evenish wear + the points @redcorolla mentions

• Like 1

I would say you very likely to have stuck pistons. Watching your disc has grooves and brake dust on the wheels , vibrations when braking at 60mph, old car , you have all the symptoms for that. If me I will dismantle all brake components, discs off the hubs, clean with wire brush all mounting surfaces to bare metal, rebuild the callipers, put back all together dry fit, no lube anywhere except silicone grease on the slider pins. If the pins are corroded will change these too, then flush the system with new brake fluid , repeat all that on all 4 corners and there will be no more vibrations and the brakes will work like on a new car. Worth any penny or minute if you do it as diy. 👍

Thank yall for the help! Might then just check and rebuild the calipers at first, see if it changes anything.

11 hours ago, ereiciunas said:

Thank yall for the help! Might then just check and rebuild the calipers at first, see if it changes anything.

They are critical safety items  so not a job for the inexperienced,  though some companies will refurbish them for you, at a cost.

Still worth checking the simple points mentioned above first as you might be missing the real fault. 

eg tyres, balance, suspension parts, brake  slider pins, rotors , pads etc

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links