Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tarnished alloys

Robin Stevens

I have a four year old Icon Tech with black and silver alloys.

On all four wheels the chrome has become badly tarnished on various spokes. First of all I thought I must have scraped the kerb but it's smooth to the touch and is under the surface. I'm hoping this will be covered by the warranty.

Has anybody else come across this before I tackle the dealer? 

My sister had the alloys replaced on her five years old Auris by the dealership.

58 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

My sister had the alloys replaced on her five years old Auris by the dealership.

Thank you. 

I had the same wheels on my old icon tech. I had the centre caps replaced under warranty at 2 years old as the paint was pealing off. And when I replaced the car at three years old the caps were as bad again and the wheels were also starting to corrode under the lacquer.

Not great news..  just visited my local Toyota dealer and the service manager and his superior just inspected the wheels and said it was the laquer that was failing but..  even though the faults with the laquer was on the spokes (well away from the rims) it is Toyota's policy not to repair anything under warranty if there is even the tiniest amount of damage at the rims, which sadly there is.

I want to part exchange the car for a new shape Yaris soon and this will definitely affect the resale value.

• Sad 1

Have you weighed up the cost of paying for the refurbishment yourself against the extra money you may receive as a Part Exchange. I'm talking about having the minor damage repaired, which would also fix the tarnished areas. Is it worth fixing???

What I mean, is it worth spending £500 to get an extra £350 for the PX

• Like 1

Thanks BobNot great news..  just visited my local Toyota dealer and the service manager and his superior just inspected the wheels and said it was the laquer that was failing but..  even though the faults with the laquer was on the spokes (well away from the rims) it is Toyota's policy not to repair anything under warranty if there is even the tiniest amount of damage at the rims, which sadly there is.

I want to part exchange the car for a new shape Yaris soon and this will definitely affect the resale value.

Did you ever get a price to have them refurbished yourself??

Next question, do you have an idea of the part exchange value of the car with the wheels the way they are?

Unless accident damage better not to spend any money on and part ex for newer model as is.. Often even after refurb job is done the traders may argue and find other things to lower the price. You may push them more for leverage with telling them you walk away or ask for greater discount on the new car. Used cars when traded no need to be perfect, and those that are indeed does not get much better paid for. All it matters to the trade are low miles, service history, 2 keys, and no writes off. 👍

• Like 2

Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. 

Or try doing it yourself with a alloy wheel repair kit.

I have used E-TECH kits in the past.

35 minutes ago, Derek.w said:

Or try doing it yourself with a alloy wheel repair kit.

I have used E-TECH kits in the past.

Thanks but this won't work Derek. Its not scratch damage, all four wheels there is a problem underneath the lacquered finish.

There are white patches coming through.

I've just sold a car the motorway way as advertised on TV, got £2000 more for it that way, dealers bid on your car and if you don't get the amount you want you don't have to accept it, just a thought.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Robin Stevens said:

Thanks but this won't work Derek. Its not scratch damage, all four wheels there is a problem underneath the lacquered finish.

There are white patches coming through.

It depends on the damage for white patches you have to remove all the paint as water has entered under the paint in that area then repaint the whole wheel reseal & wax.

Some wheels now have a plastic coating basacally its fired in a oven after application.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links