Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Hybrid - Whining noise at low speed

Nugget-79

Hey Guys,

I’ve had my Yaris Hybrid for a couple of months now and absolutely love it! I’ve clocked up close to 3000km in it and have been super happy with the fuel economy (averaging 3.1L/100km), the drive etc. However, at around 2000km, I started to hear a very distinct whine, when coming to a stop or taking off.  It’s usually between 0 and 4km/h then it stops.  It happens it both reverse and drive.  

I showed the Toyota technicians this video, which they said was ‘weird’, so they got me to book in for some diagnostics.  Upon collecting it, they told me they couldn’t replicate the sound and that everything is fine. I started questioning whether it has had this noise the whole time, but then thought, why not go to the dealership and test drive another? I drove a Yaris Cross hybrid, and it was super silent.

So! My question is, has anyone else had this happen to their little nugget? Unless there are others out the that have this whiney sound, my plan is to go to different Toyota service center and try my luck.

Cheers!

Hi, 

this is not normal and very likely something needs attention.  
None of my Toyota hybrid ever did that noise and I had quite few of them, some with high mileage, some from new. This is a very strange noise, something perhaps with the e motor, MG2, or faulty Avas noise generator.
If me I will disconnect this first and drive the car to make sure it’s not from it. Then transmission fluid check, electric motors check, inverter check etc. It’s definitely a dealer thing to do as it will be a warranty repair. 
Good luck 

I think mine makes a noise a bit like that too at low (sub-5mph ish) speeds, although not as prominent (That said, this is from inside the car - I haven't stuck my head out of the window to compare!)

I just assumed it was low-speed motor whine as it has that RC-car-esque sound to it.

It could be a fault or it could be the wailing siren (voice of angels as Lexus call it 🙄).   Disconnecting it will throw up a code but you could cover it with masking tape just to check.   

That happened to mine once (at around 400 miles) but never heard it since. 

In mine it's only audible at very low speeds with low accelerator input; I think it's just coil whine from the MGs rather than a fault or problem.

On 6/17/2023 at 3:18 PM, Cyker said:

In mine it's only audible at very low speeds with low accelerator input; I think it's just coil whine from the MGs rather than a fault or problem.

The op car sounds wired, nothing like the usual sound of an electric motor that our cars does in general. The noise imo indicate a fault and sounds like a defective Avas or mg2 , something like a worn out bearings on a vacuum cleaner just before it dies completely, or perhaps an RC car.
My electric scooter even  sounds better and much more like my hybrid than this Yaris. Definitely something it’s not right here. 

It's hard for me to tell as recordings rarely keep the nuances of the real-life sound, but the way it begins and goes away is very similar to the way the noise I hear inside mine behaves. I only notice it when I'm not playing any music, so never really paid much attention to it.

• Like 1

This is not normal, I take it to the dealership and make his technician (not a sales person) drive the car. Then ask him what he thinks. If he says it’s normal ask him to drive a different car same model accompanied both times by yourself. See what reactions will be.

• Like 2

Hey guys, thanks for all your responses.

Considering a few of you have never heard this kind of noise, and after having driven another hybrid back to back with mine and not hearing it, I’ll be taking it to a different Toyota service center near by and getting a second opinion. I kinda feel now, that if the first techs that looked at it couldn’t find anything, I don’t really want them working on my car 😂

It doesn’t really bother me too much, as I can only really hear it when backing into the garage, or driving down a tight or relatively enclosed quiet area.  It’s more a matter of whether this can result in any long term damage.  That, and the fact the it’s a brand new car!

Thanks again guys, I’ll keep you updated as to how it all goes 👍

• Like 4

Not normal. It even cuts out momentarily at one point!!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I think I have something lat issue. But happened only twice and when driving very slowly. Can you let me know what was the solution?

On 6/18/2023 at 2:11 AM, Nugget-79 said:

Hey guys, thanks for all your responses.

Considering a few of you have never heard this kind of noise, and after having driven another hybrid back to back with mine and not hearing it, I’ll be taking it to a different Toyota service center near by and getting a second opinion. I kinda feel now, that if the first techs that looked at it couldn’t find anything, I don’t really want them working on my car 😂

It doesn’t really bother me too much, as I can only really hear it when backing into the garage, or driving down a tight or relatively enclosed quiet area.  It’s more a matter of whether this can result in any long term damage.  That, and the fact the it’s a brand new car!

Thanks again guys, I’ll keep you updated as to how it all goes 👍

Have it helped going somewhere else?

• 5 months later...

Hi, I have a 2021 Petrol model, making this exact same noise. I wonder if it something to do with the CVT?

If anyone found out what it was I would really like to know, Im going to take it to the Toyota Dealer to see if they know, if not I will take it too my personal mechanic and see if I find out what it is I will post here.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links