Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

My first 7 months with a toyota

Glen trueman

Hi all 

I've been a member for 7 months 

About time, I induced myself first things 

A lot off first, actually 

First, toyota first automatic first hybrid got to admit impressed with the build quality and mpg 

Now, for the things I get confused about, I got the car last September. Oh, by the way, Excel model after the last upgrade the satnav no longer shows speed cameras or road works 

Is anyone having anything else having this problem 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Glen trueman said:

Hi all 

I've been a member for 7 months 

About time, I induced myself first things 

A lot off first, actually 

First, toyota first automatic first hybrid got to admit impressed with the build quality and mpg 

Now, for the things I get confused about, I got the car last September. Oh, by the way, Excel model after the last upgrade the satnav no longer shows speed cameras or road works 

Welcome to the forum Glen.  I tend not to use the Toyota system, I use CarPlay.  That will only give the info you require if a destination is entered.  

• Like 2

Good Morning Glen

we have had the same / similar issues, sat nav not working at all for months now permanently saying we need to install update.

We too now use carplay, and have since paid the £19.99 annual subscription for TOM TOM go, that is very good shows speed cameras, road works , traffic delays . and it now shows our actual average speed on roads with average speed cameras.

Very disapointed with the poor quality Toyota sat nav but apart from that and the lack of illumination in the back seat, we are both delighted with the car we have had since Dec 2021  ( Dacuma Grey Yaris Cross Excel) 

• Like 2

Use Carplay, with Wireless Dongle, & use Siri &/or CarPlay for all Journeys.

Best bit is the Apple CarPlay screen is better quality than even the latest 60 K Lexus NX.

Tel

• Like 1

Any ideas how much data is used from your phone whilst using map data.?, I have 20gb per month, and I realise it will depend on usage ect, having just returned from our holiday in the new forest I wondered how much of my data it would use , I realise it’s a bit of a “ piece of string “ question, as it depends on your provider, but a rough idea would help…

40 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Any ideas how much data is used from your phone whilst using map data.?, I have 20gb per month, and I realise it will depend on usage ect, having just returned from our holiday in the new forest I wondered how much of my data it would use , I realise it’s a bit of a “ piece of string “ question, as it depends on your provider, but a rough idea would help…

I also use TomTom via carplay have it running every weekday on my commute to avoid roadworks and traffic. Just had a look at my total mobile data usage for “this period” in my iPhone settings, TomTom has used 680MB in the 11 months it’s been installed . I use an average of 5GB per month in total.

1 hour ago, Ralph H said:

I also use TomTom via carplay have it running every weekday on my commute to avoid roadworks and traffic. Just had a look at my total mobile data usage for “this period” in my iPhone settings, TomTom has used 680MB in the 11 months it’s been installed . I use an average of 5GB per month in total.

Mines an iPhone so I’d be using Apple Maps, not sure if that makes any difference, also my cross will have the city pack, so different screen I think?

8 hours ago, daimler.driver said:

Very disapointed with the poor quality Toyota sat nav

I agree. The Toyota Sat Nav is AWFUL.

When I buy a car, one of the things I need is an inbuilt satnav. I have been in a situation where I went to see a customer and had no internet access do download the route home(using Apple / Google Maps). The Toyota sat nav at least got me to a point where I could use Apple maps to get me home.

Oh yes i forgot about the poor internal lights can you change bulbs for LED bulbs if so does anyone which and what size 

25 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Mines an iPhone so I’d be using Apple Maps, not sure if that makes any difference, also my cross will have the city pack, so different screen I think?

3 minutes ago, Big_D said:

I agree. The Toyota Sat Nav is AWFUL.

When I buy a car, one of the things I need is an inbuilt satnav. I have been in a situation where I went to see a customer and had no internet access do download the route home(using Apple / Google Maps). The Toyota sat nav at least got me to a point where I could use Apple maps to get me home.

Mine’s also an iPhone. Apple Maps cannot be used offline so will use more data than either TomTom or goole maps which can be used offline. Although you have to manually download the map area you need for google first. You could also try Waze which is free. But I could never get it to alert me of traffic or speed cameras while not on a programmed route. 
I don’t think the different screen will make a difference to carplay data usage as it is just mirroring the phone. 

17 hours ago, Glen trueman said:

. Oh, by the way, Excel model after the last upgrade the satnav no longer shows speed cameras or road works 

These are selectable options.  They seem to be off by default.  Car made in France.  Are speed cam warnings illegal in France?

From:https://www.toyota-mapupdates.eu/home/speedcameraupdate

Now the maps with camera sites are not detectors, but note the Toyota position.

12 hours ago, daimler.driver said:

we have had the same / similar issues, sat nav not working at all for months now permanently saying we need to install update.) 

Seems to be a common issue after an update issued in April.  Once you got in the update loop you need a garage visit to fix even though they pulled the update and issued an amended update.

Mine works fine now.

6 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Any ideas how much data is used from your phone whilst using map data.?,

I have used 1.4 Gb since contract renewal on the 14th.  Also done a 400 mile round trip through the New Forest.  I only have 4Gb, use Android Auto all the time and do 1,000 miles per month.  I use my phone for browsing etc using data.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

You can instead use Google maps which in most cases work better than Apple maps and have more natural layout. Also Google maps gives you an option to download at home over Wi-Fi an area you like and then when navigating in the car you can switch to off line maps and use no data at all. However you gonna lose live data updates like traffic information about accidents and jams etc, the online maps does use data and can be up to 1gb per hour or so.  I have unlimited data and I use Google maps exclusively without mirroring to a car screen, my car hasn’t got one but even on the phone alone this is the best navigation. Sometimes in newly build areas Apple maps has the post codes better uploaded and Google maps doesn’t have them, but that is a rare occurrence. 

• Like 1

I mainly use in built sat nav maybe once a year when we have our annual holiday, I guess it’ll be fine for that…

1 hour ago, TonyHSD said:

the online maps does use data and can be up to 1gb per hour

Where did you get that figure i have always assumed it in the tens of MB per hour i cannot find anything that says its approaching 1gb.

Edit to add - As it says below "every ten miles Google Maps uses about 3-5 MB of data per hour" so say you travel at 60 mph you would be looking at 30 mb per hour total.

How much data does Google Maps use? 

On average, every ten miles Google Maps uses about 3-5 MB of data per hour of use.

This isn’t a lot if you compare that streaming a single three minute song uses up the same amount, or sometimes even more, data than Google Maps.

According to reports, Google Maps uses less data than Apple Maps, although the latter uses just under 1MB and uses about 2.7MB for a half-hour trip.

I only travel at night and navigate using North Star and compass 

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, Eddiefh said:

And is that once a year in your new hybrid sleigh? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Where did you get that figure i have always assumed it in the tens of MB per hour i cannot find anything that says its approaching 1gb.

Edit to add - As it says below "every ten miles Google Maps uses about 3-5 MB of data per hour" so say you travel at 60 mph you would be looking at 30 mb per hour total.

How much data does Google Maps use? 

On average, every ten miles Google Maps uses about 3-5 MB of data per hour of use.

This isn’t a lot if you compare that streaming a single three minute song uses up the same amount, or sometimes even more, data than Google Maps.

According to reports, Google Maps uses less data than Apple Maps, although the latter uses just under 1MB and uses about 2.7MB for a half-hour trip.

You are right , 1gb perhaps was my use per night not per hour, my bad. 👍

• Like 1

Also What happened to smart road events 

Doesn't seem so smart now 

22 hours ago, Eddiefh said:

You are missing out lots of astro.  By day, check time, check car shadows. 

When you can see no shadows you know it's cloudy.

If you can't see there are no shadows, it's night.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links