Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris 2010 knocking noise from rear RH suspension.

Markoo

Hi. New member here looking for help. Bought the car a month ago, only 64k miles and well looked after, however it has a knocking/banging noise from rear RH suspension when going over the bumps. I had a quick look at it, no detectable play on the wheel, spirng is not broken and shock absorber not leaking. I suspect H beam bush is at fault (is it a known problem?) and Im looking for options. Are there polyurethan bushes available for this model? Anyone replaced rear shock absorbers and springs recently on their car? Is it worth buying them from toyota or just go for aftermarket? (Im keeping it stock, no lowering). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mark

13 minutes ago, Markoo said:

Hi. New member here looking for help. Bought the car a month ago, only 64k miles and well looked after, however it has a knocking/banging noise from rear RH suspension when going over the bumps. I had a quick look at it, no detectable play on the wheel, spirng is not broken and shock absorber not leaking. I suspect H beam bush is at fault (is it a known problem?) and Im looking for options. Are there polyurethan bushes available for this model? Anyone replaced rear shock absorbers and springs recently on their car? Is it worth buying them from toyota or just go for aftermarket? (Im keeping it stock, no lowering). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Check the tailpipe of your exhaust system it could have separated from the back box. It’s where I would look first.

• Thanks 1

Hi, Bernard. Thank you. The rear silencer has been actually replaced by previous owner not long ago (still has its sticker on it).  Heat shield was lose so I have removed it for now but it did not fix the noise.

M.

• Like 1

My daughters car was making a knocking noise at the back, I refastened all the heat shields, replacing some washers that had perished, checked, suspension, springs, drop links etc,  everything and it had me beat, I could not find it but it sounded like the rear left, it was an annoying knock, it turned out to be the rear brake, stripped it down, greased the slider pins and gave it a general clean down, knock gone and I would never have believed it if I hadn't done it.

• Thanks 1

Hi, Wildtapholer. Thank you for suggestion. I was going to have a look at brakes at later date but now You mentioned it, that will happen sooner. It is a substantial bang just as the wheel drops after driving over bump and also noticed it when turning on uneven surface.

10 minutes ago, Markoo said:

Hi, Wildtapholer. Thank you for suggestion. I was going to have a look at brakes at later date but now You mentioned it, that will happen sooner. It is a substantial bang just as the wheel drops after driving over bump and also noticed it when turning on uneven surface.

Is it also a extra loud knocking when you reverse then clean brakes front pads dont forget to remove clean pad support plates then put a coat of copper grease on them plus ends & back of brake pads.

• Thanks 1

Hi, Derek. Thank you. So far there is no noise or any problem with brakes. In fact front discs and pads look quite new actually, maybe 5-10% wear on them. Just need to fix this annoying knocking noise. Since no one said they had problem with H beam silent blocks I think I will try new shock absorber and check brake drum first.

New shocks are quite easy just jack up at the rear so axel is not supported then put a jack under the axel to stop it going lower when you disconnect shock loosen bolt remove then go to the top of  shocks 

use axel stand once car is up to required hight it frees off jack for use under axel.

Axel stands on using on sills then cut a grove into a block of wood for the sill lip make it just wide enough to take the block without been a tight fit or acting as a axe so no preasure on groove.

• Thanks 1

Have you checked the contents of the boot?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

I will empty it and try. It would be embarassing if that was the cause...

I suspect you have drum brakes on the rear?. So this is why I check front disk first.

I presum you checked the top of the spring to see if its snaped ie not a straight machine cut at the top.

Its also possible top of shock nut is slack or a rubber has worn so not effective anymore metal to metal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bathtub tom said:

Hi, Tom. Removed everything from the boot. Found lose wheel brace and tow eye pack. Tested, noise is sbout half now so there is some progress. Also noticed the jack is missing, need to buy one.

21 hours ago, Derek.w said:

I suspect you have drum brakes on the rear?. So this is why I check front disk first.

I presum you checked the top of the spring to see if its snaped ie not a straight machine cut at the top.

Its also possible top of shock nut is slack or a rubber has worn so not effective anymore metal to metal.

Hi, Derek. Thank you. Yes drum brakes on the rear. Checked spring already and it is okay, corroded but not snapped. Also checked top of the shock nut is tight and rubber intact. I will investigate over the weekend.

You might find the jack is stored under the passenger seat, that was where it was located on my Mk2 when I had one, they dont store them in the boot.

There should be a plastic cover over the jack. Slide the front passenger seat forward as far as it will go and the jack should be there, unless someone as previously removed it and not put it back there. Illustration shows a LHD car, but jack is still located under that seat - the passenger seat in a RHD car.

Screenshot 2023-06-26 204948.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Stevie J said:

You might find the jack is stored under the passenger seat, that was where it was located on my Mk2 when I had one, they dont store them in the boot.

There should be a plastic cover over the jack. Slide the front passenger seat forward as far as it will go and the jack should be there, unless someone as previously removed it and not put it back there. Illustration shows a LHD car, but jack is still located under that seat - the passenger seat in a RHD car.

Screenshot 2023-06-26 204305.jpg

Hi, Stevie. Thank you. What a bizzare location for it. I will check it tomorrow. It would be nice if it is there. 

• Like 3

I got caught out in the same way, I only found the jack under the seat when I was cleaning out the car one day and had the front seat pulled forward. Even in the Mk3 I have now, the jack is still located under the front seat. If its not under the passenger seat, see if it is under the drivers seat. It should be under one of them. If not, then it has been removed during some previous ownership and not replaced where it belongs. Jacks are not expensive anyway if it is missing.

I cant help on the knocking noise - I would have said one of the rear suspension bushes or shock absorber mounts, or a bad exhaust mount, but others have already said these. I know my Mk2 when I had one used to have a fair bit of creaking and squeeking from the rear suspension when going over bumps, coming from the rubber bushes flexing in their mounts, but never used to knock.  

You might leave it as it is and see what happens on its next MOT - if it fails on the suspension, then you may have found you issue been highlighted by the MOT tested - they are usually rigorous and go over the suspension with a fine tooth pick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just another thought - Something as simple as the lug nuts on the wheel might not be tight enough, which was something happened to me once when I forgot to re-tighten them after having the wheel off, the car was making a knocking noise on turning and going over bumps, enough that I had to stop and check what was up, and then I remembered I hadnt checked the wheel lug nuts - was indeed the cause, too loose, and it did cause some right strange sounds from that wheel when driving.

Check the spare wheel is also stowed properly and tightened down with the screw supplied that goes through the centre of the spare wheel into the base of the boot floor. 

I had a broken spring on my old Mk2 - failed its MOT for it, and although I thought the spring looked OK, it was just a small piece of the end of the base of the spring that has snapped off. They do fracture, and its not always obvious if it is only a small bit that has broken off, but it could be enough to introduce knocking over bumps - mine was a broken front spring and it didnt have any symptoms, but on the rear, it may well create knocking - but an MOT test would likely pick it up, depends how long it is until your next MOT is due.

If you only bought the car a month ago, and it was from a dealer, take it back to them and complain about it, they should have given some form of short guarantee, most dealers usually do. Privately bought though, sadly there is not often any guarantee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Markoo said:

Hi, Tom. Removed everything from the boot. Found lose wheel brace and tow eye pack. Tested, noise is sbout half now so there is some progress. Also noticed the jack is missing, need to buy one.

Oh dear! Sorry to quote the bleedin obvious. Also the wheel nuts is a good shout by Stevie J. I once fell foul of that and lost a wheel off a caravan on the M6

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stevie J said:

I got caught out in the same way, I only found the jack under the seat when I was cleaning out the car one day and had the front seat pulled forward. Even in the Mk3 I have now, the jack is still located under the front seat. If its not under the passenger seat, see if it is under the drivers seat. It should be under one of them. If not, then it has been removed during some previous ownership and not replaced where it belongs. Jacks are not expensive anyway if it is missing.

I cant help on the knocking noise - I would have said one of the rear suspension bushes or shock absorber mounts, or a bad exhaust mount, but others have already said these. I know my Mk2 when I had one used to have a fair bit of creaking and squeeking from the rear suspension when going over bumps, coming from the rubber bushes flexing in their mounts, but never used to knock.  

You might leave it as it is and see what happens on its next MOT - if it fails on the suspension, then you may have found you issue been highlighted by the MOT tested - they are usually rigorous and go over the suspension with a fine tooth pick.

Hi, Stevie. Couldn't wait, went and checked it and found the jack under the passenger seat just as you said. Thank you, saves me buying new one. It had MOT in March, failed on snapped osf spring, that was replaced and it passed.

• Like 1

That's good, at least you know where the jack is now for when you need it in future. The fact that the car went for MOT only 3 months back means that there cant be that much wrong with the suspension, or it would have come up as either a fail or an advisory if the MOT tester found an issue with the rear suspension. Seems front springs are a common issue for breakage then, that was what my car failed for one year, a broken front spring - with the state of the roads in the UK, it is not surprising that suspension gets damaged so much.

It could mean that the knocking noise may not be a suspension issue then, maybe something loose somewhere in the rear of the car. I think there is a void behind the tail lights that goes deep down behind the back wheel. It's accessible by removing the cover behind the tail lights as if you were changing a bulb, maybe something got dropped down there and is rattling about. Its a wild shot in the dark, and probably not the issue, but you have to investigate every area round by that back wheel area. It cant be that serious or the MOT tester would have clocked it. It's annoying when you have rattles and knocks and cant locate the cause. Sometimes, aftermarket exhaust systems can be made slightly out of spec and not fit quite right, banging up against bodywork where they shouldnt do, have you got underneath and wobbled the rear exhaust about to see if it hits the bodywork anywhere? And have you checked all the wheel lug nuts are tight?

If the knock is only very minor, and it passed a recent MOT, and you absolutely cannot find the cause, it may be a case of having to just live with it - firing the parts cannon at it by replacing suspension parts like the bushes, arms, springs, shocks etc etc can end up costing a fortune with no guarantee that it will fix the problem. My car currently has creaky suspension bushes in both the front and rear of the car - some days when the weather is damp, they can creak like mad when driving along over rough roads - but rather than spending a fortune replacing all the affected bushes, I just live with it, until it fails an MOT and then I would have them done. Old cars do have knocks, rattles and creaks, and sometimes, as long as the noises are not dangerous and the car passes an MOT its best to just turn the radio up.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stevie J said:

My car currently has creaky suspension bushes

I used to keep a jam jar of old brake fluid specifically for brushing on creaky bushes.

Wd-40 silicone spray or similar will fix the creaking noises from the suspension. All Toyota dies that at some point, even brand new ones. 👍

If the OP car had a spring replacement recently and got knocking noises when going over bumps he will need to check the work on the springs. They have rubber inserts top and bottom and if poor quality, non original rubber been used or not replaced the old ones and their were worn this is what exactly can happen, knocking metal on metal noises. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Stevie J said:

That's good, at least you know where the jack is now for when you need it in future. The fact that the car went for MOT only 3 months back means that there cant be that much wrong with the suspension, or it would have come up as either a fail or an advisory if the MOT tester found an issue with the rear suspension. Seems front springs are a common issue for breakage then, that was what my car failed for one year, a broken front spring - with the state of the roads in the UK, it is not surprising that suspension gets damaged so much.

It could mean that the knocking noise may not be a suspension issue then, maybe something loose somewhere in the rear of the car. I think there is a void behind the tail lights that goes deep down behind the back wheel. It's accessible by removing the cover behind the tail lights as if you were changing a bulb, maybe something got dropped down there and is rattling about. Its a wild shot in the dark, and probably not the issue, but you have to investigate every area round by that back wheel area. It cant be that serious or the MOT tester would have clocked it. It's annoying when you have rattles and knocks and cant locate the cause. Sometimes, aftermarket exhaust systems can be made slightly out of spec and not fit quite right, banging up against bodywork where they shouldnt do, have you got underneath and wobbled the rear exhaust about to see if it hits the bodywork anywhere? And have you checked all the wheel lug nuts are tight?

If the knock is only very minor, and it passed a recent MOT, and you absolutely cannot find the cause, it may be a case of having to just live with it - firing the parts cannon at it by replacing suspension parts like the bushes, arms, springs, shocks etc etc can end up costing a fortune with no guarantee that it will fix the problem. My car currently has creaky suspension bushes in both the front and rear of the car - some days when the weather is damp, they can creak like mad when driving along over rough roads - but rather than spending a fortune replacing all the affected bushes, I just live with it, until it fails an MOT and then I would have them done. Old cars do have knocks, rattles and creaks, and sometimes, as long as the noises are not dangerous and the car passes an MOT its best to just turn the radio up.

Hi, Stevie. I think you may be right about aftermarket exhaust, i will look into it. Also planning on checking rear brakes on saturday so automatically will torque wheel nuts to specs. As for turning the radio up.. Im driving with kids so would rather fix it then cover this kind of noise. For squeaks I guess it would be okay.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Wd-40 silicone spray or similar will fix the creaking noises from the suspension. All Toyota dies that at some point, even brand new ones. 👍

If the OP car had a spring replacement recently and got knocking noises when going over bumps he will need to check the work on the springs. They have rubber inserts top and bottom and if poor quality, non original rubber been used or not replaced the old ones and their were worn this is what exactly can happen, knocking metal on metal noises. 

Hi, Tony, Thank you. Replaced spring was on the front, the noise is at the back, so not related to repair. I will be investigating further over the weekend and hopefully I will be able to find and fix it. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Markoo said:

Hi, Tony, Thank you. Replaced spring was on the front, the noise is at the back, so not related to repair. I will be investigating further over the weekend and hopefully I will be able to find and fix it. Fingers crossed.

That’s right, replaced on the front and you can hear the knocking is coming from the back. Sometimes it is very different to location noises on cars and often people think it’s a rear wheel bearings where actually turns to be the front one. Good to check all corners. Good luck 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links