Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cruise Control?

JohnD2

Hi. March 23 Yaris Cross. I have two forms of cruise control: one is radar based and intended for use on such as motorways, to keep pace with vehicles in your lane. I would like to ask other owners about the second system where the main switch is toggled 'downwards', and then the second switch adjusted to a desired speed. On my car, as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator, the car slows down. Does anyone have the response whereby the set speed is maintained? J

I dont use the second method just the first with radar controll most of the time not even on a motorway.

I do turn down its sensertivity from 3 bars for 40/50 mph roads.

I love it on long roads with 20 mph speed limit then I down to 1 bar depending on number of parked cars on the side of the road.

44 minutes ago, JohnD2 said:

Hi. March 23 Yaris Cross. I have two forms of cruise control: one is radar based and intended for use on such as motorways, to keep pace with vehicles in your lane. I would like to ask other owners about the second system where the main switch is toggled 'downwards', and then the second switch adjusted to a desired speed. On my car, as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator, the car slows down. Does anyone have the response whereby the set speed is maintained? J

Hi JohnD2, the "second system" as you call it is the speed limiter. Once set at a speed the car will not exceed that until you hit the main switch again to turn it off.  Lowest setting is 20mph.  The

I find it useful around town and in average speed camera areas.

Thanks for replies. I'm intrigued by the adjustment of sensitivity.

Still don’t understand why the Toyota system doesn’t adjust with the traffic sign recognition, as in my Ford, mind you, it doesn’t always work, wether that’s ford or not I don’t know, I assume you could just set the adaptive cruise to say, 30mph around town and let the system work out the speed, ( providing there’s something in front when in a 20 zone, ) 

• Like 1

I believe that traffic sign compulsory speed limiting will be introduced in the future. I read ages ago Europe was going to introduce it and we would follow.  Had a quick look and can't find the article I read though.  I would assume, like cruise control, kick-down would override the limiter?

• Like 1

The mandatory speed limiter is already a requirement in newly designed vehicles - Thankfully the current Yaris and Corolla were designed before the change so they don't need to, but e.g. the Mk5 Yaris will almost certainly have an always-on speed limiter. I just hope to smeg they've fixed the road sign recognition by then, or god help those who have to drive with it and all the incorrectly detected speeds and it tries to make them do e.g. 20mph on fast A-roads and motorways!!! :eek: (Mine is correct maybe 70% of the time, which just isn't anywhere near good enough for real world use!)

re. the cruise control, the new Yaris has:

• Radar Cruise (Press Up once)
  • Normal Cruise (Hold Up for 3-5 seconds) 
  • Speed limiter (Press Down once)

I never understood the point of the speed limiter, esp. as you say it doesn't tie into the speed sign recognition, but some people find it useful to set so they don't accidentally go over speed. If I'm in a situation where I can go faster than the speed limit (Rare down here!) I usually just flick the cruise control on.

The Radar Cruise can be tied into the road sign system - It's a selectable option in the main dash settings, and puts a green box around the speed sign when enabled. The idea is when the speed limit changes, the car picks it up from the sign and you press up or down on the Res+/Set- rocker and it'll jump to that speed instead of you having to e.g. press downdowndowndown.

However it's a bit buggy and doesn't really improve things since it's just as fast to cancel, lift off, and set to the new speed.

The Normal Cruise control mode is literally just set the speed and the car holds that speed. It's more consistent than the Radar cruise and I find it more fuel efficient as it uses the engine far less at lower speeds than the Radar cruise for some reason, but unlike the Radar Cruise it will drive you into things without slowing down so it has fewer situations you can safely use it in unless you constantly manage it.

11 hours ago, JohnD2 said:

On my car, as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator, the car slows down. Does anyone have the response whereby the set speed is maintained?

@JohnD2After you’ve reached the desired speed don’t you have to press “set” and the system then maintains that speed with your foot off ?

6 hours ago, jthspace said:

I believe that traffic sign compulsory speed limiting will be introduced in the future. I read ages ago Europe was going to introduce it and we would follow.  Had a quick look and can't find the article I read though.  I would assume, like cruise control, kick-down would override the limiter?

I can't wait.

Yesterday I drove in 30, 40, 60 and derestricted zones.

My car recognised 5 and 10 zones.   Google showed one road at 60, the car displayed 50 and there was not a limit sign in sight.  After a couple of miles there was a 50 repeater with the derestricted sign a couple of hundred yards on.

When it comes in there will be an outcry abd chaos with poor signage to blame.   Our council refuses to cut foliage which leaves many signs hidden.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roy124 said:

I can't wait.

Yesterday I drove in 30, 40, 60 and derestricted zones.

My car recognised 5 and 10 zones.   Google showed one road at 60, the car displayed 50 and there was not a limit sign in sight.  After a couple of miles there was a 50 repeater with the derestricted sign a couple of hundred yards on.

When it comes in there will be an outcry abd chaos with poor signage to blame.   Our council refuses to cut foliage which leaves many signs hidden.

Yep, my Mazda MX5 is pretty good (almost faultless) in reading signs, so it can be done.  Where it misses one (40 goes to 60 etc) due to foliage, then after half-mile it checks against GPS/Map and resets itself.  Pretty clever, I just don't want it to take over the throttle!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

poor signage to blame

And of course there will be people installing fake signs all over the place, either because they think traffic is too fast there or just for a laugh. 

They are out there ...

• Like 1

A friend has already declared he will get a shirt made up with a massive (5) on it to troll me on his bicycle...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MikeSh said:

And of course there will be people installing fake signs all over the place, either because they think traffic is too fast there or just for a laugh. 

They are out there ...

A few wheelie bins round here have speed signs. 

Actually a brilliant idea.   Put 20 up and traffic would automatically slow down  on bin days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

That's all fine until poor Mrs Marple at number 20 suddenly finds she's been barricaded in by hundreds of wheelie bins all with her door number on them! :laugh: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links