Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 Yaris cost to fix ABS fault

Damien McManus

Apologies for the length of this post! My Yaris has a developing fault which means that at 6mph the ABS thinks that it needs to kick in. At first I noticed a clicking noise and recently the braking performance can be impaired - it’s as if the pedal loses feeling and won’t let me brake heavily. Previous inspections at the garage haven’t been conclusive, no fault codes and the ABS warning light never lights up. I’ve had the problem for a few years but it’s never felt serious till now and as it’s never been an issue with MOTs I have not felt the need to do a full investigation.

We also have a Verso which started doing the same thing but much less severely and when we got discs and pads changed the garage picked up a faulty ABS sensor which cured the problem. Again the warning light never came on until the mechanic fitted the new discs/pads and then the fault was discovered.

I am taking the Yaris to be checked out and have done a bit of research on possible causes. It seems that there could be an issue with a reluctor ring or a CV joint or driveshaft if the discs/pads and sensors are OK. I have read that finding the problem and repairing it, if it is either of these things, is going to be expensive and given the age of the car I wonder whether it’s worth it. Otherwise it’s a great car so I would like to get it repaired if it’s viable to do so. If anyone has experience of similar problems or can give me a ballpark figure on the costs of reluctor/CV/drive shaft replacement I would be very grateful!

• Like 1

I'd be looking a the sensors and reluctor rings. The sensors can be a pig to change, as they seize in. Reluctor rings have been know to crack, lose teeth or just get so dirty they don't work properly. I don't believe they are available separately and are probably an integral part of the CV. I don't know how they're configured at the back.

• Like 1

Many thanks - much appreciated!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links