Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Fog Light - Yaris TR Mk2

kandyman

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a 2010 Yaris TR spec. It has front fog light installed in front bumper, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to switch them on😅.  I can switch the rear fogs on via the switch on the lights stalk, but can’t find the switch or button for the fronts.  Any help, much appreciated 😅

Many thanks 

As a factory fit the front fog lights should be on the same switch, first step is rear fog with Orange fog warning lamp then next step is front and rear fog with additional Green front fog warning lamp

Usually the front fogs are operated from the light switch stalk, its the inner band on the stalk, the one that switches on the rear fogs. You would have to switch the front fogs on for the first turn of the stalk, and the second turn would turn the rear fogs on. I'm not sure if the mk2 has a spring loaded return of the stalk for the rear fogs, I cant remember from when I had a Mk2 if that was the case, but if the car is equipped with front fogs FROM FACTORY, then you would turn the fog light switch one click round for the front fogs. You cannot have the rear fogs on without the front ones on such is the design of the switch.

If there is no setting on the stalk for front fogs, then they were not fitted from factory and would be aftermarket, in which case, the switch would have been added somewhere round the drivers side of the dash, you'd have to have a good hunt for it. 

Also, you normally wouldnt be able to turn the front fogs on unless the sidelights or headlights are on. Maybe a picture of your dash and lighting stalk would help here for people to see.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Devon Aygo said:

As a factory fit the front fog lights should be on the same switch, first step is rear fog with Orange fog warning lamp then next step is front and rear fog with additional Green front fog warning lamp

It;s the other way round - first click is the front fogs, then the second click round is the rears - this is so you cant have the rear fogs on without the front ones.

Screenshot 2023-07-24 230610.jpg

Yes, Steve is correct. I've always thought that it was a silly way to operate them.

i.e. in many instances it's only the rear high intensity light(s) needed. In my opinion it should be the other way round. Rear 1st, front 2nd and rear only.

I have never found the so-called front "fog" lights to be of any use in fog at all.

They used to work in the "good old days" when they could be aimed as required. e.g. one as a spotlight to illuminate the kerb edge, the other a flat beam to highlight the road ahead and the white centreline. Fitted with a yellow lamp too which seemed to pierce the fog better.

More function than form.:ph34r:

They can be useful in super thick fog, where using even dipped beams will just be reflected back and blind you, but this is a very rare occurrence, at least down here!

Still, that doesn't stop half the drivers down here, mostly SUV drivers and german cars, having their front fogs on permanently come rain or shine :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Saw some like that today in bright sunshine.

I am guessing it might be to do with those driving older cars wanting to emulate the latest trends in car design and manufacture,ie DRLs .

As it has always been really, especially among the younger drivers.

I well remember headbutting a football attached to my steering wheel when airbags first came out.

Fairly effective for the day, resulting in two black eyes and smashed glasses,so at least it looked authentic.

You could also back in the day, get two of your pals to lie on the floor of a small van, and boot the sides of it to simulate bass bins.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hardly ever use my front fogs, or rear ones to be honest, the rear ones are a nuiscance to traffic behind, like driving with your brake lights stuck on. The fronts when I used to use them on previous cars (I've been driving various different cars for 33 years now) used to get me flashed by oncoming traffic especially on dark country roads, because I suppose they cause dazzle. When its really foggy, I dont think they make the blind bit of difference, and the best thing is to just drive much slower.

In the past, I agree, too many young boy racers used to drive round with just sidelights on and also the front fogs, these being lower down and at each lower corner of the front of the car, I suppose they give the impression the car is lower and wider, making a more aggressive stance. 

I was looking at Yaris owners manuals online last night and some of them say the front fogs are operated from a switch next to the handbrake , but I think that does not apply to UK spec cars. It was impossible to find an online manual for UK  06-11 Yaris, most are for foreign market Yaris's. Going to Toyota's website, I typed in the specs and brought up the 06-11 Yaris, but when opening the associated pdf with that, it opens up as the manual for the 11-20 generation Yaris Mk3, so not sure what was going on there. Basically, I wasnt able to get an online manual from Toyota UK, and they dont even list one for the Mk1. Although the Mk2 is listed, it only displays as a MK3 manual.

14 hours ago, Cyker said:

They can be useful in super thick fog, where using even dipped beams will just be reflected back and blind you,

I am glad that somebody finds them potentially useful, but I stick by my comment that they are neither use nor ornament in any degree of foginess(not a word). Ornament, maybe yes, going by the number of drivers who like to emulate daytime fairy lights or try to look "cool".

On the subject, off topic, of daytime fairy lights, I saw a car the other day with four or five horizontal strings of l.e.d.s stacked vertically at each front corner. It looked ridiculous. However, they did as intended and made the car more visible in bright sunlight!

Well it's another one of those things like spare tyres where you'll never appreciate it until you've been in the one rare situation it's useful in :laugh: 

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I’m baffled 😅. Although my car does have front fogs fitted, the light stalk only has a switch for the rear fog lights.  There no extra turn on the fog switch, it’s either off or rear fogs. I can’t see any other button or switch for the fronts. I assume my car is a standard UK model, with standard equipment. Bizarre 

• Like 1

I've had a look at eBay and found a late model Mk2 with front fogs, The stalk shows 2 settings for the fogs as I have outlined in the yellow box in the second picture.

If your car doesnt have this stalk with 2 settings then maybe it didnt have them originally, but was involved in an accident in the past and had a replacement front bumper put on, but they used one with fogs fitted from maybe a T-Spirit model, and never wired them up, or they could have been wired into the high beam circuit so they come on when high beams are on, maybe try putting the headlights on and then put the main beams on, and see if the "fogs" come on as additional high beam lights. Some variants apparently had a switch for the fogs next to the handbrake, so if yours hasnt got one, then I dont know what else to suggest.

s-l1600mk2.jpg

s-l1600edit.jpg

15 hours ago, Cyker said:

Well it's another one of those things like spare tyres where you'll never appreciate it until you've been in the one rare situation it's useful in :laugh: 

Agreed re a spare wheel/tyre, even a "spacesaver", compared to a compressor and sealant.

But after experiencing thick fog, many times, and after using the "foglights" once, I still think they are useless, as fitted to a Yaris. Someone walking in front with a torch would be more effective. That used to happen when there was smog and dark.

They are height/aim adjustable from underneath the car so maybe mine were adjusted very cautiously at the assembly plant?

Apologies to David, I am guilty of straying off topic.

11 hours ago, kandyman said:

Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I’m baffled 😅. Although my car does have front fogs fitted, the light stalk only has a switch for the rear fog lights.  There no extra turn on the fog switch, it’s either off or rear fogs. I can’t see any other button or switch for the fronts. I assume my car is a standard UK model, with standard equipment. Bizarre 

What buttons do you have by the handbrake or near the headlight level control ?

Edit. pop the glove box out and see if you have the relay fitted

p90ffogrelay.thumb.jpg.586305499e8255c5c25bdca500fce4ed.jpg

I’ve been look at cars of the same age and spec as mine on Autotrader and it would seem some, although fitted with front fogs like mine, only have a stalk with rear fog lights. Like this one

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202307260093900?atmobcid=soc3

Strangely, this one also has the rear wheel arch cover missing too 🤷‍♂️ Bizarre.

I’ve also popped open the glove box and it’s does look like there is a relay fitted. Buttons by the handbrake are just to turn off Stop/Start and Aux input. Confused

IMG_6392.jpeg

IMG_6393.jpeg

Do they come on with the rear one ? or main beam and the rear on

edit. they may be setup as driving lights

edit 2.

Looked at the 2009 brochure, fogs were only available on the Tspirit not on the TR https://autocatalogarchive.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Toyota-Yaris-2009-UK.pdf

looks like they are the dealer fit option - pop the switches up by the handbrake and see if you have a plug floating about

Sorry for the delay in replying, been a busy week 😅

Managed pop open the button area under the handbrake and there does looks to be a plug secured with tape that’s not plugged into anything.  Wondering if this is for the front fogs ?  However, looking on eBay at the front fog switches, the plug looks different.

I can’t get the front fogs to come on at all with the current light stalk, only the rear fogs.

IMG_6460.jpeg

IMG_6463.jpeg

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, read all the posts around for fog lights installation but may my situation is a liitle different and I would like your help.
Installed the fog lights and now I am in the process of wiring installation.
1. The D4 Headlight Switch Assembly Connector under Steering column has no Orange and Yellow wire pins but White Gray Line and Yellow.
2. There is an installed Blue Relay, hope for F Fog Lights but just found that is for rear fog lights (https://fuseandrelay.com/toyota/yaris-vitz-2g.html)
3. Fuse FR Fog Blue 15 is installed.
3. My Kit (see the picture) includes only 2 wires Black and Red except from Fuse,Relay and switch.
Could you please tell me how to install in prewired? Or the easiest way in order to switched off the Fog Light when the Lights turn off.

https://ibb.co/yffx6mJ"]https://ibb.co/yffx6mJ
https://ibb.co/FDJMZNL"]https://ibb.co/FDJMZNL
https://ibb.co/jG6sHm2"]https://ibb.co/jG6sHm2

yaris.pdf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links