Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rust in recently bought Used Approved car

Immysl

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Huh, all my cars started getting surface rust on components under the bonnet; The driver-side engine mount on my Mk1s was super rusty-looking, but still solid.

Even in my Mk4, the metal compression ring on the air intake hose is coated in surface rust just like in the OP's photo, and you can tell which bits are steel and which bits are aluminium in the engine bay!

When I had my Mk1, I had it from 2011, and it was a 1999 car, so over 12 years old. When I took this photo back in 2012, it was 13 years old, and apart from a bit of light corrosion to the aluminium areas of the engine, and power steering reservoir, it was remarkably rust free, although it did have rust on the rear subframe and sills however, but if a car has been looked after, then even Toyotas can have clean engine bays at approaching their teenage years. 

P1020950.JPG.bab825eb3889a9ebdee8f9d8d203c6a5.JPG

• Like 4

Yeaaaa... my Mk1 definitely had a browner look than that :laugh: 

I think my Mk4's become home to a family of spiders which doesn't help matters...

And for some reason there's a layer of sand on a lot of things in there and it's a pain to clean out; I need to get one of those vacuum attachments made of straws; I'm not brave enough to use a pressure washer on it!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Spiders are preferable to rust or sand though, and very fashionable now with the film connections.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 7/25/2023 at 11:39 PM, Immysl said:

Overall, I'm wondering what I should reasonably expect from a Toyota approved dealership for a car that's not too old. Appreciate your insight on this.

Just wondering what the MOT history was like -any mention of rust?

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history 

• Like 3

The car perhaps has only one MOT but it will be interesting to read the history 👌 
It’s a high mileage likely a motorway car driven on salty roads and not washed often or left to seat after a salty journey. This is the worst case scenario. All you need is a one motorway journey during the winter when the gritters are out and about and all your untreated metal parts under bonnet and underneath will become yellow.
However If you keep driving daily and through heavy rains in the spring or you wash the engine bay and undercarriage the salt will be rinsed away and any further corrosion will stop.
When I bought my current Auris back in 2015 at 42000 miles it was a car sat in the dealer for over 5 months unused and had some rust, mould and corroded metal parts as mentioned above that happens so often even on a recent cars but nothing in comparison to the OP car. Here it is how it looks now at 247000 and back then. 
2023 13 years old 
image.thumb.jpeg.f22dcb37b950b74318a0e7dad4b45682.jpeg

2015 5 years old.

image.thumb.jpeg.56b87767b8b1d5fe60cf62b4263210e4.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sorry everyone for the delay to get back here. My daughter fell sick so had to put everything else down the list of priorities.

However, I have been able to speak to the dealer again and they seem to dodge the rust issue as expected. They have apparently talked to Toyota about this and been told that the warranty does not cover surface rust. Tell me something I already didn't know lol.

Anyway, I took everyone's advice here and told them that I will be returning the car. Might need to take the loss for the delivery to and fro as a result, but don't want to be stuck with a car that's going to cause a lot of problems in the near future. 

I will update you once I hear back from the dealer. Now onto the things that need to be done for the car return and possibly start looking for another car soon.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Hope your daughter feels better soon.

Alex

• Like 4

Try to get the MK4 design or excel if possible, from late 2020, it's a much better car. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I have in the past part exchanged the car & they photo everywere except the engine bay.

Then again it was going to a auction to be sold!.

• Like 2

Now I can see the photos properly, I'd say that has been forded/flooded. Look at the orange HV cable...part way down it goes deep mud brown!!!

It's too late for you, but I'd say AVOID.

Try and get your money back!

• Like 4

I'll join the picture party. 2014 Yaris, always parked outside, the engine bay has never been touched cosmetically except for removing road salt deposits, in winter, from some areas. There is some very minor surface rust in places, e.g. a bracket on the alternator. As can be seen it's just stopped raining, pictures taken about 15 minutes ago.

That's not acceptable at all for a 2019 car.

Please excuse the Dunlop slippers!

yaris 1.jpg

yaris 2.jpg

yaris 3.jpg

yaris 4.jpg

OP is based in NI, prices are still strong 2019 icon tech are around the £14-15K mark - 20/21 plate Mk4 are £18-20k

• Like 3

Thats crazy prices, my mother bought a 2019 (19) plate Icon Tech back in February from WR Davies in Telford with 9000 miles on it, and it was £12495

But then even that was expensive compared to the 64 plate Icon she bought from the same place in 2016, just 18 months old and that was £8750

Seems people are scrambling for ICE cars now which are prcatically not made any more - you cant buy a Yaris now which is manual trans and non hybrid. Some people just dont want auto boxes, and it seems we are having them forced on us. I think the price of ICE cars is going to continue to rise, and we could well end up like Cuba in 20 years time, people still driving round in 30 year old ICE cars because they dont want electric.

This car was the one my mother got, and that was just 6 months ago

Screenshot 2023-01-20 231912.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005150.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005319.jpg

• Like 5

On 7/31/2023 at 5:51 PM, Immysl said:

Sorry everyone for the delay to get back here. My daughter fell sick so had to put everything else down the list of priorities.

However, I have been able to speak to the dealer again and they seem to dodge the rust issue as expected. They have apparently talked to Toyota about this and been told that the warranty does not cover surface rust. Tell me something I already didn't know lol.

Anyway, I took everyone's advice here and told them that I will be returning the car. Might need to take the loss for the delivery to and fro as a result, but don't want to be stuck with a car that's going to cause a lot of problems in the near future. 

I will update you once I hear back from the dealer. Now onto the things that need to be done for the car return and possibly start looking for another car soon.

Not sure what your budget is, but if you’re looking for an immaculate example, I will be selling mine is next few weeks, cut out the middle man.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Stevie J said:

Thats crazy prices, my mother bought a 2019 (19) plate Icon Tech back in February from WR Davies in Telford with 9000 miles on it, and it was £12495

But then even that was expensive compared to the 64 plate Icon she bought from the same place in 2016, just 18 months old and that was £8750

Seems people are scrambling for ICE cars now which are prcatically not made any more - you cant buy a Yaris now which is manual trans and non hybrid. Some people just dont want auto boxes, and it seems we are having them forced on us. I think the price of ICE cars is going to continue to rise, and we could well end up like Cuba in 20 years time, people still driving round in 30 year old ICE cars because they dont want electric.

Screenshot 2023-01-20 231912.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005150.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005319.jpg

Good points, the reason why i went for a 20 plate 1.5 Yaris with a manual gearbox now because in a few years only high mileage one's will be available or new Hybrid with not even the Aygo X available new after 2030 plus it didn't float my boat when i looked at one.

• Like 4

Yes Eddie, thats right, basically whatever stock of manual transmission Yaris's that are one the roads already, are all that we are going to get, with manual gearbox, standard petrol engine Yaris's out of production since the Mk4 came out in 2020. By the time the total ban on ICE cars comes in in 2030, the newest you are going to get will be 10 years old by that time, with everything else since 2020 being an automatic transmission Hybrid, or totally electric.

It's a very sad thing really that we are seeing the demise of the manual gearbox and clutched car that has been with us for so long. I can drive automatics, I've had them before, and I've had CVT before as well, be that an old Jatco CVT in an old Nissan Primera I used to own 15 years ago, they are OK, but I do prefer a manual box.

My mother said that she just isnt interested in "newfangled" hybrids and certainly doesnt like automatics, she has driven manuals all her driving life, and being now 78, she says that this 2019 Yaris Icon Tech, with 1.5 petrol engine and manual transmission should see her driving career out. I think Toyota are making a bit of a mistake by not offering a manual transmission Yaris, many older people still dont want autos, and CVT's take a lot of getting used to, they are like driving a car with a slipping clutch.

Sadly for me, I'm only 51, and my car will be 9 years old in December, while it only has 30K on the clock, it will likely be rust that kills it if I keep it till its 17 years old, by which time we will just be past the 2030 deadline. Realistically, I cant afford to buy a 2020 Yaris Mk3 like you have or I probably would have done, and kept it as long as possible into my 60s so I'll be nearing retirement by the time a 2020 car is ready for the scrap heap. I really dont like the direction car makers are going, but it's this Net Zero carbon agenda thats driving all this and the world is hell bent on forcing electric cars on us all at breakneck speed. It'll be a sad day when the Yaris goes entirely electric, but I doubt it will be called the Yaris by then, and it wont look or drive anything like the Yaris's we are used to.

• Like 4

Sadly for me, I'm only 51, and my car will be 9 years old in December, while it only has 30K on the clock, it will likely be rust that kills it if I keep it till its 17 years old,

I would suggest that once the 10 year warranty is over (if you are using it), you get the car cleaned underneath and then waxoil or similar treated.  My 1993 MX5 (32 in October) is an import from Japan and hasn't been used on salted roads and is pretty clean underneath, however it is going for an underneath wash, wax and cavity treatment next month for £460 plus VAT so you may want to consider something similar.

There is talk of the 2030 date being relaxed as manufacturers are saying they can't meet the regs of 22% cars being sold being electric.

• Like 7

It’s not just petrol manual Yaris but all Toyota currently have the highest price of all used cars because of the high demand. Also many more realised that most bev’s are bs and not capable and many switch back to hybrids or ice and Toyota currently offers the best range of both with best engines.
The electric cars are doomed worldwide but uk is leading the doomsday for them. But to find out how bad or how good these ️are you need really to own one or rent long term. Don’t ask me how I know., we have one and we are off on a long trip later today, wish me luck 🪫🔌😂👌

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

It's a very sad thing really that we are seeing the demise of the manual gearbox and clutched car that has been with us for so long. I can drive automatics, I've had them before, and I've had CVT before as well, be that an old Jatco CVT in an old Nissan Primera I used to own 15 years ago, they are OK, but I do prefer a manual box.

My mother said that she just isnt interested in "newfangled" hybrids and certainly doesnt like automatics, she has driven manuals all her driving life, and being now 78, she says that this 2019 Yaris Icon Tech, with 1.5 petrol engine and manual transmission should see her driving career out. I think Toyota are making a bit of a mistake by not offering a manual transmission Yaris, many older people still dont want autos, and CVT's take a lot of getting used to, they are like driving a car with a slipping clutch.

I do agree with your comments on the whole, however the CVT in the Yaris mk4 is extremely refined compared to older (especially) underpowered cars. I thought I would hate the Yaris until I drove one. The engine note is progressive, but also has a slight rasp (3cylinder), has plenty of torque due to the electric motor. The change over between electric and ICE is seamless and at low revs you can hardly hear the engine. Being a bit of a driving enthusiast the Yaris MK4 is not a boring car and is also far superior to a manual MK2 Yaris that I owned a number of years ago.

• Like 6

@TonyHSD interested to hear how your EV trip goes, what range do you have? Have heard good and bad stories. I guess if long distance you will need to do some charging along the way, interested to know cost per KW, maybe a separate post 👍

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jthspace said:

I would suggest that once the 10 year warranty is over (if you are using it), you get the car cleaned underneath and then waxoil or similar treated.  My 1993 MX5 (32 in October) is an import from Japan and hasn't been used on salted roads and is pretty clean underneath, however it is going for an underneath wash, wax and cavity treatment next month for £460 plus VAT so you may want to consider something similar.

+1

I want to keep my little Toyota on the road for as long as possible. Rust killed my last car.

When I bought this one ( 2014 ) it looked immaculate, inside and out.

I think i'm more 'aware' nowadays. So I inspect and 'do' the underneath once a year ( I use LanoGuard ).

My  little IQ does everything I need: great equipment, comfy, quiet, good MPG, cool in the Summer and warm in the Winter.

No way will I let rust 'smite' it! 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Stevie J said:

Yes Eddie, thats right, basically whatever stock of manual transmission Yaris's that are one the roads already, are all that we are going to get, with manual gearbox, standard petrol engine Yaris's out of production since the Mk4 came out in 2020. By the time the total ban on ICE cars comes in in 2030, the newest you are going to get will be 10 years old by that time, with everything else since 2020 being an automatic transmission Hybrid, or totally electric.

Sadly for me, I'm only 51, and my car will be 9 years old in December, while it only has 30K on the clock, it will likely be rust that kills it if I keep it till its 17 years old, by which time we will just be past the 2030 deadline. Realistically, I cant afford to buy a 2020 Yaris Mk3 like you have or I probably would have done, and kept it as long as possible into my 60s so I'll be nearing retirement by the time a 2020 car is ready for the scrap heap. I really dont like the direction car makers are going, but it's this Net Zero carbon agenda thats driving all this and the world is hell bent on forcing electric cars on us all at breakneck speed. It'll be a sad day when the Yaris goes entirely electric, but I doubt it will be called the Yaris by then, and it wont look or drive anything like the Yaris's we are used to.

Totally agree, felt more pushed into a ICE car again then i did into getting a Hybrid, luckily don't do many miles a year so fingers crossed my Yaris lasts into retirement and beyond 🤞

• Like 4

23 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

It’s not just petrol manual Yaris but all Toyota currently have the highest price of all used cars because of the high demand. Also many more realised that most bev’s are bs and not capable and many switch back to hybrids or ice and Toyota currently offers the best range of both with best engines.
The electric cars are doomed worldwide but uk is leading the doomsday for them. But to find out how bad or how good these ️are you need really to own one or rent long term. Don’t ask me how I know., we have one and we are off on a long trip later today, wish me luck 🪫🔌😂👌

I think Tony is still on that trip trying to find a charge point for his EV.  Hope he's OK 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/2/2023 at 10:31 PM, Stevie J said:

The hybrids do command a premium (op has/had a hybrid) auto used to be rare especially in smaller cars, now it's becoming the norm

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links