Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rust in recently bought Used Approved car

Immysl

On 8/2/2023 at 10:31 PM, Stevie J said:

Thats crazy prices, my mother bought a 2019 (19) plate Icon Tech back in February from WR Davies in Telford with 9000 miles on it, and it was £12495

Screenshot 2023-01-22 005319.jpg

Got a new MK4 design for 19k. It's more fuel efficient and a much better car than the MK3 hybrid. 

• Like 6

I wouldn't go back to a totally conventional petrol! Toyota Hybrids are awesome tech. Mine has been rock solid to 100k and 9 years old, and continues to put a huge grin on my face every time I drive it.

I'm looking forward to my GR Sport! :yahoo:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

On 8/4/2023 at 7:34 AM, ISL said:

I think Tony is still on that trip trying to find a charge point for his EV.  Hope he's OK 🙄

Hahaha, something like that indeed 🪫😂

Trip is now completed safely and successfully.
The car did brilliantly as usual, charging network as always, not so great.  There were chargers but with some glitches 🔌👌.
On the way out we have stopped at a hotel nearby to top up for the next day to be ready as we had enough Battery to get to our destination but not for the return journey. You know with evs we need more planing then with an ice cars.
We plugged the car and went for a coffee break and after 15 min got the message the car stopped charging. For some reason the charger was cutting off every 15 min or so, we did plug 4 times on and off.
What people says with evs you plug in and go for a lunch is only on paper, you need to be around the car. On our return journey we stopped again for another top up so we were sure we are arriving at the place with some extra juice and not at 0%. Is it a stressful, not at all when on holiday but business use is almost impossible. The black vehicle is manual though  😂

image.thumb.jpeg.50742330280e2c078506f830a4ecacb1.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4e2695793b9d3157a7a711a7d388d96e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cf4af17e19536dfa560f621b54418758.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Personally I think EVs are ideal for limited use, e.g. around town locally, school runs, shopping etc..

Where they fail, I think, is for long journeys. Rather than have to stop somewhere for a more expensive charge and hang around until there's sufficient Battery capacity to reach the next charging point or destination, I would prefer to fill the fuel tank, possibly enough fuel to reach the destination, or take 5-10 minutes out to add fuel during the journey.

Virtually no so-called range anxiety involved.

There is no way I wold be able to use an EV for business use. I think the best option at the moment is a Hybrid.

• Like 4

The current state of EVs kinda feels like they're building a house and they've finished the roof but have only just started the foundations and have forgotten the walls.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

I tried that when I started bricklaying.

It collapsed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Funny but true. 
Evs are really good but we have to accept their limitations.
The wrong thing with evs is the force switch pushed by the bodies, you know who, and the manufacturer approach towards large and heavy cars with large and heavy batteries.
The evs are only viable if they have light weight batteries with good efficiency. There is a sweet spot between weight and power, those miles per kWh are important not the total Battery capacity.
Once this sweet spot is passed the ev  becomes inefficient and more pollutant than other alternatives. 
One day when a new tech is found and a Battery size of phev fitted into an bev can hold energy for 250miles and the  range does not get halved at half by the variable factors the bev will dominate the world. Until then Toyota hybrids are as good as they can be. 

• Like 5

Back to the topic.

If the op Yaris ever been looked after as these cars on the video no wonder the amount of rust under bonnet. 

• Sad 4

41 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

Back to the topic.

If the op Yaris ever been looked after as these cars on the video no wonder the amount of rust under bonnet. 

All of those cars are doomed.  Just looked at the MOT history of that Mini.

IMG_1411.jpeg.3ef4c17c1c2cf180a952a04482feba79.jpegIMG_1412.thumb.jpeg.db5fbf768a620cab085dd8e85753d141.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, ISL said:

All of those cars are doomed.  Just looked at the MOT history of that Mini.

IMG_1411.jpeg.3ef4c17c1c2cf180a952a04482feba79.jpegIMG_1412.thumb.jpeg.db5fbf768a620cab085dd8e85753d141.jpeg

Well spotted 👌👍

• Like 2

Don’t run away with the idea that Mk4 Yaris are immune to rust because I’ve seen one with much the same as the op.  Now, that owner doesn’t look after the car in any way but I’m not sure what he did to create rust on all the hose clips.  I clean my engine and the wheel arches and calipers etc so it always looks like new but for many, a car is a tool and it will go rusty.  

• Like 1

WD40 works well on the engine bay to protect vulnerable metal components and also good for removing any surface rust and making it look prettier.  Overall can improve the overall appearance especially on older engines.  I also spray it on suspension components.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ISL said:

Why would you stand there?

image.thumb.png.0caab81a3d52c966d7b8095080a6adca.png

You need to watch that part of the video, but basically several people were 'playing' around. He got caught out and took shelter behind that car and actually climbed on the bonnet to try and stay dry ... which failed because the water bounced off the wall and soaked him anyway. He was lucky the water didn't push the car into the wall.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ISL said:

Just looked at the MOT history of that Mini.

At 15 years old and over 100,000 miles if it hasn't been well looked after those faults are not really surprising.

• Like 1

This video a bit like Ruford ford really.
I can’t believe how people can park their cars there in these weather conditions and don’t care at all, or perhaps some of these are with known faults and the owners wants to claim on the insurance?!
But then that guy and his behaviour really just proof exactly opposite, simply I..TS drivers. 🫢

• Like 2

its even worse with the mini as all the rear arms and hubs are cast alloy with steel bolts salt water and doggy backlights and you have electrolysis

• Like 3

The green Corsa is only a 15 plate and again doesn’t look good. That got a real pounding from the sea. Couldn’t read the numberplate of the Audi which received quite a bit of damage.  Have witnessed something similar to this at Mousehole in Cornwall where a car was washed over the wall into the harbour.  The sea is so powerful and you have to be nuts to go anywhere near these sorts of waves.

IMG_1413.thumb.jpeg.e22243e3f0dc32cd0fc9986b99e28cfd.jpegIMG_1414.thumb.jpeg.10a19e937233c809037218242edc6509.jpeg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TonyHSD said:

I can’t believe how people can park their cars there in these weather conditions and don’t care at all,

The title does say "Freak August storm", so they've probably parked up and gone off for a few hours. Tide comes in, wind gets up ...

4 minutes ago, ISL said:

The sea is so powerful and you have to be nuts to go anywhere near these sorts of waves.

Absolutely. Some of those people were getting knocked over which is a really dangerous situation. At least there was a was to stop them getting dragged out, but still scope for some serious injuries.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MikeSh said:

The title does say "Freak August storm", so they've probably parked up and gone off for a few hours. Tide comes in, wind gets up ...

Absolutely. Some of those people were getting knocked over which is a really dangerous situation. At least there was a was to stop them getting dragged out, but still scope for some serious injuries.

Good point, didn't realise this only happened in the last few days, and as you say those people had no idea the storm was coming.  This is normally the sort of thing you see around Easter with the high spring tides.

3 hours ago, anchorman said:

Don’t run away with the idea that Mk4 Yaris are immune to rust because I’ve seen one with much the same as the op.  Now, that owner doesn’t look after the car in any way but I’m not sure what he did to create rust on all the hose clips.  I clean my engine and the wheel arches and calipers etc so it always looks like new but for many, a car is a tool and it will go rusty.  

Have you been looking in my engine bay?? :eek: 

But yeah, mine has a 'patina' on several bits already, like the hose clips and the edges of the airbox clips and some bolt heads, the exhaust etc. Probably doesn't help that sand keeps somehow getting in under the bonnet - I keep cleaning it out of the ridges and stuff and next time I check it's back!

I guess those parts are just naked steel and not zinc coated or painted or anything so they're going to rust... :sad: 

• Like 2

Hope everyone are doing well :)

I finally managed to send back the car to the dealer. They agreed to refund me for the car as well as the delivery fee, so I need to only bear the cost for the return delivery. Not too bad an L after all. In the meantime, I also managed to find a car through the local Toyota dealer. This time around, made sure everything is rust-free or at least has minimal rust. Checked everything else too and did a test drive before buying the car. It's a 2018 Yaris but hopefully not as bad as the one I bought previously. Thank you everyone for sharing lots of advice and experiences. Definitely helped me when viewing this second car.

And looking forward to LK-99 solving the EV car problems soon :biggrin:

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links