Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aftermarket Apple CarPlay in an Avensis Excel 2016

handbrake

Hello,

I'm completely new to retrofitting, and don't have any electrical experience, but I've been reading the posts here, and it seems like retrofitting a stereo is mostly an "unplug this and plug the new one in" job! I hope I've not over simplified it and end up with a huge headache!

After reading the following post:

My goal is to get the following:

* Alpine iLX-705D Wireless Apple CarPlay https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09TDBGVDG

* The fascia adapter from a lower spec Avensis https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225438145278

* The following wiring loom with reversing camera capabilities -  Connects2 CTSTY015.2  https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/connects2-ctsty015-2-stalk-adapter-for-toyota-avensis-corolla-rav4-yaris-2011

* The following brackets: https://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/adapters/toyota/rav4/ct24ty09-facia-plate-for-toyota-rav4-mr2-celica

Questions:

* How do I remove the dash?

* Will the above stuff work together?

* Is there anything I should be aware of, as I'm a complete beginner to doing this? Any help would be appreciated, and please ask even if it's obvious, as I've probably missed it!

That should all work together fine, only issue that springs to mind is getting a reverse signal

as for the surround, you may need the correct kit with cage for 100% fitment

I was discussing this with @SB1500 the other day

Toyota Fascia - 55405-05280

Cables - Connects2 - CTSTY015.2 Dynamic Sounds £69.99

Mount / Surrounds - CT23TY04 Dynamic Sounds £59.99

give me a bit and i will dig up some instructions

Edit pop the trims off either side of the radio, the part behind the wheel and the boomerang shaped part that goes from the left side of the radio and above the glove box - you can now remove the radio facia that will leave the radio what is removed by 4 bolts/screws

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks - that's all really helpful!

That should all work together fine, only issue that springs to mind is getting a reverse signal

@flash22 CarAudioCentre/the connects2 website lists CTSTY015.2 with Camera retention, do you think I'd potentially lose the reversing camera capabilities with these Connect2 Cables? Is the only way to find out by ordering the stuff and trying?

It's a big car, and we definitely need the camera for some parking situations.

@essldn seems like you've had this working in the past, were you able to retain reversing camera functionality?

Referenced links:

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-connects2-ctsty015-2_p-42925.htm

https://connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTSTY015.2

• Like 1

??? That's what the retention cable does (in that kit) it retains the camera, the adapter on it own is CAM-TY5-RT

you connect the Red (on the camera adapter) and reverse input from the new radio to pin 2 on 28 pin plug - Black goes to any ground, the brown wire on the adapter does nothing on the Avensis iirc

Pin 2

44499465_tt228pin.thumb.jpg.20cc3a93c0d10e279116cccb135ba064.jpg

edit. Fitted plenty of camera retention and OEM addition cables over the years with no issues

• Like 3

This thread is a goldmine for CarPlay retrofitting and @flash22 I can't thank you enough for your help the other day!

• Like 1

Thanks @flash22 I'll get things ordered, and I'll post back with results. I really appreciate the help!

• Like 1

Looks like CTSTY015.2 is out of stock. While I wait for things to arrive, I was considering switching the CarPlay stereo.

If I was to switch the unit to an Alpine iLX-F115D, would I also need to get the following to turn the spare din into a usable storage space? @flash22

https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/connects2-ct24ty26-toyota-universal-fascia-pocket.html

• Like 1

It still takes up a full double din slot. Double at the front, single at the rear

a lot of cars have gone over to the floating screen type that just have a single (larger than 1 din) hole

edit. Not sure if an 11" display will work due to the way the oem radio is inset

• Like 2

Hm... that's a good point. The OEM radio does have quite large inset.

I'll check the returns policy. Maybe I can order both and see if the 11" display works.

• Like 1

Do you know if it's possible to retain the vehicle's existing GPS and microphone without using the ones supplied from Alpine?

Similarly, do you know if it's possible to get OE front and back parking sensors to show on the Alpine unit?

I've got fascia, mounts/surrounds and stereo. Once the cables have arrived, I should be good to give installation a go!

• 7 months later...

Things finally came back in stock and I've got all the bits I need (minus the reverse camera RCA adaptor for Alpine head unit KWE-CAM1D)

I'm trying to find a good time to fit everything in the car, however, I did have a go at wiring the connect2 looms on to the back of the stereo.

I have a couple of pretty silly questions, I'd be grateful if someone could shed some light!

1. So the ring connector in this image, I presume it's for grounding. Do I just find any unpainted surface inside the dash (behind the stereo) to screw this on to?
  2. The Connect2 loom doesn't seem to have anything to retain the DAB aerial, do I need to buy an aftermarket aerial or can I get a cable to reuse the existing one in the car? 

IMG_1028.thumb.jpeg.fcb3338b6b3f869d9374f9fcf5470baf.jpegIMG_1029.thumb.jpeg.e2ea51605bcb4354d83b15d5fae2aaed.jpeg

1. That is not a ring terminal but a voltage regulator (12v - 6v) for the reverse camera, yes mount it to some metal to spread the heat

2. kits do not come with a dab adapter, the factory plug is a SMB (black plug) in a Toyota housing, pull the white locking tab and flick the retaining clip down to remove the housing

the DAB connector looks like this but black and the key is in a different location

gps.thumb.jpg.2b115121f4ba139f8769c0d2cfd835f8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great, that's helpful flash22!

Can reuse the Avensis' existing GPS on the Alpine headunit?

No worries if not, the Alpine unit comes with its own GPS device. I'll see if I can hide it behind the headunit when I do the install. 

use the supplied gps

• Like 1

I had some time yesterday after work to give wiring things in the car a shot. Haven't routed cables neatly yet. Will do that once everything is connected and working.

I almost got everything working, however the reversing camera doesn't work.

Maybe someone can figure out what's going on? I've taken pictures of the appropriate bits. Let me know if you need better pictures. I can take some more shots later today.

IMG_1064.thumb.jpeg.9723d57ef8bfacda05fa9b7d1841acd1.jpeg

28 pin plug on car:

IMG_1067.thumb.jpeg.d1c60e619d19bef17d4ae2efce03c9f3.jpeg

28 pin plug on connects2 harness: 

IMG_1066.thumb.jpeg.fb93160c2ba91d8352a6fb61362a2620.jpeg

24 pin plug on car:

IMG_1068.thumb.jpeg.dc89317f6b6f8ffa1b125117b9aec09b.jpeg

24 pin plug on connects2 harness:

IMG_1070.thumb.jpeg.d9001db3b32efecf1de91d81c62f6368.jpegIMG_1065.thumb.jpeg.92fded090643dc39ff7124d9a9e43fbb.jpeg

I thought I'd attach a picture of all the original wires going to the original unit:

image.thumb.jpeg.bc246bdeae73f2cd9d0343e1d9ab8db6.jpeg

One more thing, my alpine unit has a handbrake lead, not sure what to wire into that, any pointers for that?

Hi @flash22 , any ideas on what could be wrong? 

Interesting, there's an option on the Alpine head unit to force camera detection. Which means you can manually get it to show the reverse camera feed using one of the physical buttons. 

I suspect the 24/28 pin plugs don't have the reverse pin. So I can't flip to the feed automatically.

Tbh, this is almost acceptable, I'm not sure how I'd go about getting the reverse signal.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links