Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New IQ owner - couple of questions.......

777guru

I am in the UK and got a 2010, white, satnav, leather with medium milage.  Some things are immediately obvious.  I'd like to ask the community here for an up to date opinion/answer on these since all the searching has turned up threads as far back as 2009.

• Cruise control.......that old chessnut!  Has anyone gone to a installation service/bought from eBay and diy'd....sucessfully (UK only)?
  • Paint - peeling behind the rear windows and lots of chips that went through to the metal.  Bought a paint matched pot from paint nuts, has anyone had to repaint/wrap for this?
  • The TNS510 - is there a way to make it remember the phone for audio automatically (it does this correctly for the phone), at the moment I have to go into settings and click register the device each time it is powered on - then it works flawlessly.
  • Has anyone successfully replaced the TSN510 - what parts/cable adapters did you use for the head unit/car controls?

That just about covers it - I know there are previous posts on this, so if there is one that is still relevant a point towards the stuff that works would be GREAT!

Overall, what a great little car it is - and nice for road tax and ulez too!

• Like 2

After a trip this eve, the following to add for your amusement/comment/advice!

• VSC OFF light flashing + Slip light continuously on.
  • When all doors closed, locking the car via fob/handle touch/manual key - it locks then unlocks and externally beeps for ten seconds.

Welcome to the club 😃

For cruise control have a look at this thread :

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 777guru said:

Paint - peeling behind the rear windows

An issue that affects mainly early IQs. Paintwork warranty was 3 years from first registration. Originally some owners where cars were outside the warranty, had re-sprays done by Toyota under goodwill.

However, in the last couple of years, Toyota restricted this goodwill to cars under 10 years of age with a full Toyota service history.

So on a 13 year old car, it will be down to the owner to repair.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 777guru said:

• When all doors closed, locking the car via fob/handle touch/manual key - it locks then unlocks and externally beeps for ten seconds.

Check rear door, that 10sec. sound is when not all doors are closed. 

1 hour ago, Dutchrav said:

Check rear door, that 10sec. sound is when not all doors are closed. 

Out of interest, does that included the bonnet? On my base-specificiation iQ (without the "smart entry & start sytem" which the OP must have), the fuction of the bonnet switch is a bit of an enigma where the Owners Manual is concerned...

I've discovered that the security light on the dash won't light and flash - i.e. presumably the alarm won't set and arm- if the bonnet is not closed (the alarm being something which I could test with the mechanical key blade, but have not done yet). Otherwise, if any other door is open, the car won't lock and does nothing at all when the lock button on the key is pressed. My base spec doesn't have the beep the OP is experiencing.

As an engineer, I find these systems interesting. One of the issues I have with the remote locking on the MK I Aygo/C1 is that the doors won't automatically relock if you accidentally press the unlock button on the key without subsequently opening a door. I was really happy to discover that the iQ does have this feature! Call me overly paranoid, but my workaround used to be to keep the remote-capable key as a spare! 🙃

• Like 1

Im not sure about a bonnet switch. Does a IQ have one?

Found out on my IQ2 that pressing the switch on the rear door after its opened.. it closes the lock again.. so the door will not close properly. That makes the IQ beep for 10sec. when you try to lock it. Pushed button again, close rear door and all fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow - some hard won info above - THANKS!  Just starting a couple of days off - will thoroughly investigate the cruise option. And Ill test the rear door button when open thing. 
Got a new batt for the second fob and miraculously it now works - small win!

So has anyone wrapped or repainted?  Could double the value of the car!?

And I have an amusing find; the  leather seats are slippy and rather flat - has anyone altered the padding to add a bit of bucket?  Found I was using the steering wheel in wonkey lanes (under 25mph!) whilst turning ha!

Thanks again for the above info - much appreciated!

• Like 2

Repaint for sure, beep when locking/unlocking - count the beeps, is it keyless ??

No cruise on the 1.0 just a speed limiter, hit-and-miss on the 1.3

TNS510 it should remember the bluetooth settings but may default to Hands-free, yes it is straight forward to swap for another radio, you pay your money, you take your choice - you have the expensive bit already (The hutch)

• Like 1

So - result after fiddling is;

Boot button pressed when open puts the mechanism out of phase with the alarm. solved - Thanks!

Radio stay on audio, disable screen transition (to map) solved - thanks!

Engine, slip and VSC lights - failed O2 sensor in exhaust. Replaced shortly (hopefully) resolved - thanks!

Paint - deffo adhesion problem. £1000 wrap, £2000 repaint - next yr - resolved thanks!

One thing that did come up yesterday when doing the tracking, if the main rod locking is loosened (it goes from the middle to wheel behind the engine) and rotated, it seems to undo one end and do on the other, thus staying the same length. How does everyone adjust the front steering tracking?

Thanks again everyone for all the input!!

• Like 2

Tracking, back the lock nut off, and turn the rod 1 turns is around 9 degrees, go and get it set up correctly on an alignment rack

1. Standard:
      1 turn 360 deg. of rack end (1.5 mm (0.059 in.) horizontal movement) = 9.0 deg. of steering angle

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2023 at 11:00 AM, 777guru said:

So - result after fiddling is;

Boot button pressed when open puts the mechanism out of phase with the alarm. solved - Thanks!

Radio stay on audio, disable screen transition (to map) solved - thanks!

Engine, slip and VSC lights - failed O2 sensor in exhaust. Replaced shortly (hopefully) resolved - thanks!

Paint - deffo adhesion problem. £1000 wrap, £2000 repaint - next yr - resolved thanks!

One thing that did come up yesterday when doing the tracking, if the main rod locking is loosened (it goes from the middle to wheel behind the engine) and rotated, it seems to undo one end and do on the other, thus staying the same length. How does everyone adjust the front steering tracking?

Thanks again everyone for all the input!!

Could you help me with the above. I have the same issue and a diagnostic came up as O2 sensor. Just wondering if a simple DIY fix or requires a professional?

if you could advise, part number or link, price?

I have an iQ3 1.33 manual 2009.

cheers Sam

If it's new to you, I would be raising it with the seller.

Other than that, if it were me, I'd be taking it to my trusted independent...

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links