Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front view camera 2004 Estima

Grambo

Can anyone help? I need to replace the front view camera on my Estima. It still works, but the lenses are totally glazed over. I'm saying replaced, as I cannot see how to remove the lenses to try and service them, but if there’s a way........

Appreciate any help guy’s 

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

It will be a sealed unit if its on the outside it may polish out

is it a hybrid

86790-28160

bumper off, and its 2 screw and a plug

I think I would try a polish in situ first. That said, I haven't got round to doing my headlamps yet but the full kit is here ready to go.

25 minutes ago, flash22 said:

is it a hybrid

86790-28160

Thanks Bob, I will give cleaning a try, yes, it's a hybrid

9 minutes ago, JohnGW said:

I think I would try a polish in situ first. That said, I haven't got round to doing my headlamps yet but the full kit is here ready to go.

Thanks John, I'm going to try and clean them first I think, good luck with the headlights!

31 minutes ago, flash22 said:

is it a hybrid

86790-28160

Thanks Bob, I will give cleaning a try, yes, it's a hybrid

a mild rubbing compound should to the trick a dab of tooth past will do the job at a push

Cleaning would do very little. It needs to be polished with a fine rubbing compound, or very fine wet and dry paper (lots of water though).

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

a mild rubbing compound should to the trick a dab of tooth past will do the job at a push

Thanks Bob, I'll give it a go

2 hours ago, Paulscarbs said:

Cleaning would do very little. It needs to be polished with a fine rubbing compound, or very fine wet and dry paper (lots of water though).

Thanks Paul, I'm not brave enough to use wet & dry, but  will try a compound

Wet and dry is included in my headlamp kit. 240 and 3000 grit from memory plus compound of course. 

Thanks John, I'm going to try the compound first at the weekend, if no joy I'll probably have to go down the wet & dry route 👍

• 4 months later...
On 9/13/2023 at 8:58 PM, Grambo said:

Thanks John, I'm going to try the compound first at the weekend, if no joy I'll probably have to go down the wet & dry route 👍

So long as the plastic remains wet whilst sanding, you will be fine.

Thanks all, the headlight cleaning compound I used did the trick, bought the headlight / tail light lenses up great too!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Quick question relating to front camera
If the head unit has been replaced, presumably its not usually possible to see the front camera view?
New Android head unit sees the rear view, in reverse
but cant see any way to see any front view  and probably not connected up /enabled ?

There are some camera converters on eBay and Amazon which are supposed to allow modern head units to use the old cameras. I bought one but it didnt seem to work. 

Just discovered I have a downward facing camera on left hand door mirror, but again no way to view it.

Then that may need another converter.

Anyone know any tech details about these cameras and their wiring/signals? Are they usb with their own wire (unlikely), or connect into the Canbus somehow?.
My head unit has some spare usb inputs  (will see if they will recognize an normal usb camera, just out of interest).

The following post mentions the reverse signal and some video lines?
Seems to suggest they are RCA (composite video) coax lines/plugs?  (japanese ntsc?)

Update - seems to be lots of other posts and YouTube video etc about replacing head units.
Looks like it is a composite ('RCA') signal
Some standard Toyota head units have RCA plug inputs, other have them in smaller unique sockets.
So the camera wires may or may not need changing to the RCA plug the Android head unit expects.
If multiple cameras, maybe possible to have a 'selector' switch?  //still researching - my installation does have a strange silver square button next to it, but doesnt seem to do anything?

Yes the later units have the smaller plugs and sockets, didnt see a later unit with RCA's as I would have bought that to save fishing new cables in.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links